Olympic Bar Questions

hey guys,

I am looking to purchase an olympic bar. I have been using a standard bar for cleans and snatches, but I think I need to upgrade to the real thing.

I have found a number of bars locally (in Australia) but would like some opinions on a few things:

The bar I am looking at has a 1500lb rating, and has thrust bearings instead of brass sleeves, so it should spin quite freely. The only concern is that it is 32mm thick, instead of the standard 28mm. I have large hands, so I am pretty sure I will still be able to get a good hook grip on it, but I am in a different state and cannot test it before I buy.

The next option is a 1000lb rated one that is 30mm thick.

I will not be using anywhere near the weight limit of either one of these and am leaning towards the 1000lb’er due to the slightly thinner handle.

I know thick bar work is good for deadlifts etc, but I have no experience with that for olympic lifting. Any comments or experiences are most welcome.

Also, do I really need the thrust bearings, or is a standard sleeved bar adequate?

Scrooge,
Sorry to be the only one to reply to your post & not have an answer but…

I am moving to Australia in Jan & need to get a O-bar & bumpers (or just rubber-coated P.O.S.s if bumpers are too expensive).
Who are you considering buying through?

About your question, why not email Dan John or the Smitty @ dieselcrew.com?
(I don’t have experience with thick bar O-lifts).

good luck with the move, where are you headed?

Here is the link to the bars:

What’s your budget?

If it’s upwards of 700-800 I’d check Eleiko bars, they’re top notch.

If it’s lower I’d check out Glenn Pendlay’s bars (~350, I have one and enjoy it thoroughly). There’s another bar, it’s a bit more and also has received good feedback. I really can’t remember the name, when I do though I’ll PM or post it ASAP.

A lot of the more expensive bars have roller bearings, which of course should be very smooth. I don’t think that means that you NEED them though. Brass bushing should be fine if they’re higher quality and you keep them properly oiled (which isn’t a thing done often). Bushings are still used extensively in machinery, so they’re not poor technology.

Check out Glenn’s website (store.wfwclub.com/me20webar.html) and look around the web for the reviews he’s gotten. I have one personally, you can shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I’ll see if I can answer them.

Edit: I should also note that when you’re selecting a bar check the whip on it. You don’t want a very stiff bar.

Eleiko. Once you try it, you’ll want no other.

The thinner bar will not only be easier to hook grip, but it will most likely give you more rebound. For olympic lifting, this is a good thing. In fact, pliability is one thing that seperates elieko from other brands.

Also, a bar that rotates very well is a huge plus. Go clean in a commercial gym, and then clean on an elieko bar, and you’ll understand that it DOES in fact make a difference.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
The thinner bar will not only be easier to hook grip, but it will most likely give you more rebound. For olympic lifting, this is a good thing. In fact, pliability is one thing that seperates elieko from other brands.

Also, a bar that rotates very well is a huge plus. Go clean in a commercial gym, and then clean on an elieko bar, and you’ll understand that it DOES in fact make a difference.[/quote]

Yes not only will your weights probably improve just from the higher quality bar, but it won’t be hell on your wrists either.

I am partial to the Werksan bar.