T Nation

Olympia 08: Lame or Preview of Future?

The Olympia is fast approaching. With the list of top IFBB competitors dropping out. I get the feeling this year will be extremely boring and unchallenging for the reigning champion to do a three-peat.

With no Kai, Victor, or Branch competiting, the only competition is Dexter, who will get 2nd place due to size. So basically it is just a challenge for 3rd-5th.

Will this Olympia just be lame and predictable? Will it be more useful to see who are the rising stars (Phil Heath, Dennis Wolf, etc.) instead of crowing new top pro?

Discuss any aspects of Olympia

Its a shame Victor and Branch can’t attend with their injuries, but im interested to see Phil Heath and Dennis Wolf (two of my favs) stand on stage next to Jay. I love how Wolf chased Cutler around the stage last year. I do expect Jay to win again though, de-throning the champ is usually tough. I just hope everyone comes dialed in this year, it seemed that last year, people missed their peak (at least during pre-judging).

Warren is injured? shit. I think Wolf will give Cutler a run for his money. He’s brought his back up and looks as wide as Cutler minus the 40’+ waist (some one will burn me for that one). I’m not taking anything away from Cutler but in my opinion he looked his best in 01. Wolf will be Mr. Olympia someday if politics don’t get in the way, but I’m sure things will get complicated when we get Victor back in the mix. Fuck that will show me to take it easy on lunges.

You still have Ben White, Heath, Wolfe and several others. There are too many newer guys to focus only on the guys mentioned in the OP. The entire scene actually hasn’t been this interesting since the early 90’s.

im going for heath this year, wolfe i like aswell, but i really want heath or vic(which sadly we aren’t going to see this year) take the crown

Cutler all the way

Well I kinda think everyone knows who will win 1st and prob even 2nd (Jay, Dex)

I was just saying do you think it will be another lame Olympia year because of this and no Victor or Branch to give challenge?

Or will this year be productive in see what the new crop of pros can do (i.e. Phil Heath)?

I know there are tons of new talented guys

Dennis Wolf is no where close to Jay. He is a great guy, but he needs to pull up his back more still plus politics

I have Heath top 5, but if Kai were competing Kai would take his spot

Branch doesnt place too high, but hes always top 7-10

don’t forget about toney freeman he will be fighting for the top 5 and the new 202 and under class.

Everyone talked up Toney Freeman last year cause he had his first big pro win and what place did he come in? Exactly

I could see top 7 if lucky

The 202 will be interesting. Give some smaller guys a chance to have there name heard, but I think it will be at least 5 years before people respect them and even give them a chance to win the overall

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You still have Ben White, Heath, Wolfe and several others. There are too many newer guys to focus only on the guys mentioned in the OP. The entire scene actually hasn’t been this interesting since the early 90’s.[/quote]

I totally agree. I’m loving the new talent.

The under 202 will be interesting as well.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Professor X wrote:
You still have Ben White, Heath, Wolfe and several others. There are too many newer guys to focus only on the guys mentioned in the OP. The entire scene actually hasn’t been this interesting since the early 90’s.

I totally agree. I’m loving the new talent.

The under 202 will be interesting as well.

[/quote]

x2

So you guys who are interested in the next gen gonna follow the Olympia as you may have in the past (that is if you have followed the Olympia in the past)?

this will be my first Olympia(i say first because this time last year i didnt know what the contest was)…which makes we wonder…is it going to be televised in Canada?

also, I’m pulling for Wolfy to dethrone block head Jay

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
this will be my first Olympia(i say first because this time last year i didnt know what the contest was)…which makes we wonder…is it going to be televised in Canada?

also, I’m pulling for Wolfy to dethrone block head Jay[/quote]

Hopefully…
Or any of the other guys named in this thread…

lol whats all the hate on Jay for? only guy i think stands out from anyone is Dex. it seems most the guys have dime a dozen physiques but Dex just stand outs, he looks like he was bred in a Scottish laboratory to compete in this sport. …did i just call BBing a sport?

i dont know televised. Its not in the US, just webcasts

That would be sweet if the Olympia was on PPV. That would be my Super Bowl minus the tasty snacks and food. I’d feel to guilty eating shit and watching the Olympia.

I was able to order The Olympia on PPV last year. It was like 39.95 I think. I have Comcast btw…

I have Charter Digital Cable. They only have MMA or some shit like that on PPV.

I’d never hate on Jay, the guy’s a real pro, but he never should have won last year.

My thoughts on all the new talent is that a lot of them seem so overly hyped because MD gives contract deals to amateurs hoping to keep them form weider/Mtech after they win a pro qualifier.

It does suck with all the injuries though, but I’m thinking we’ll see…
1-Jay
2-Dex
3-Wolf
4-Heath
I totally would have had Branch in the top 5, and Freeman will either totally nail his condition, or fall all the way down to the bottom. The rest is anybody’s guess.

Hey, if anyone’s in the NY Metro area, maybe we could get some guys together and all chip in if it’s gonna be on PPV or something (I’ve never seen the O live, always catch pieces online)

S