Oly Thrower Bench's 622lbs Raw

[quote]aussiethrower wrote:
have you seen the Ulf Timmerman (First man to break 23metres with 23.06m which was done in the rain not sunny conditions like Barnes) doing drop benches with what looks like about 500lbs, the bar is virtually dropped onto his chest, a foam pad dampens it, he explodes it back.
But his best feat was to do jumping goodmornings with sets of 12 reps with 120kgs on his back.

Manual Martinez - former indoor world champion benches over 660 lbs

Udo Beyer was famous for his strength levels.

[/quote]

I found the Ulf Timmerman thing you were talking about pretty cool Ulf Timmerman - YouTube its fast so watch carefully you will see the guy drop the weight then almost instantly he will bench it up and the guy will grab it again.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/news/2004-07-26-usada-drug-tests_x.htm

Maybe he will get a little more respect after this. Maybe I am being dumb here, but what else can you expect this guy to go through to prove he is clean?

this dude is big, really big, over 6 foot 5 and over 300lbs.

This guy is huge explosive and strong, I don’t get why these kind of guys don’t go into the nfl and rake in the millions.

[quote]shizen wrote:
This guy is huge explosive and strong, I don’t get why these kind of guys don’t go into the nfl and rake in the millions. [/quote]

Ya know, I thought about that myself a few times. These O lifters could probably pop the shit out of any linemen they were put up against. So why not get in and make some money?

Then again, if they had to start training for football, they wouldnt be able to focus so much on the O lifting. Then again, would they lose the ability to recruit so many fibers all at once if they didnt continually train it?

I dunno.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I just don’t get why o-lifters dont develop some sort of suit or other apparatus that will help lift the weight.[/quote]

Hilariuos. Mikeshank, if that convinces you he is clean do you think Marion Jones is also? She had only one sample prove positive and that sample was shown to be an error after the b sample proved negative.

If he just benched 600 I might not be all THAT suspicious, but he is in a sport known for all of them to do steriods.

I don’t know why you keep bashing him about possible steroid use. This guy is TALL and benches 600+ lbs with like no back arch. His other lifts are very impressive also, not to mention he doesn’t focus on power lifting.

He is a very strong explosive athlete, and I’m curious what he will do after his Olympic career. He could do well in strongman and possibly power lifting if he wanted to. I hope he goes into strongman personally as I enjoy watching that more, and his height would help him a lot more.

why does it always come down to steriod speculation? Why can’t people just admire it for what it is? It seems that everyone is quick to point out the reason that he is so strong, yet noone has pointed out that he had to work his ass off to get to this point.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
why does it always come down to steriod speculation? Why can’t people just admire it for what it is? It seems that everyone is quick to point out the reason that he is so strong, yet noone has pointed out that he had to work his ass off to get to this point. [/quote]

cosigned lol. the man worked hard, admire it.

To me it’s way more impressive thana any powerlifting 700 bench ever saw…no arch( like bench has always been…on chest, not on stomach…)slow descent, and explode back…also, cantwell it’s an amazing athelte…strong fast, jumps through the roof…have no idea of how explosive he is…

[quote]shizen wrote:
aussiethrower wrote:
have you seen the Ulf Timmerman (First man to break 23metres with 23.06m which was done in the rain not sunny conditions like Barnes) doing drop benches with what looks like about 500lbs, the bar is virtually dropped onto his chest, a foam pad dampens it, he explodes it back.
But his best feat was to do jumping goodmornings with sets of 12 reps with 120kgs on his back.

Manual Martinez - former indoor world champion benches over 660 lbs

Udo Beyer was famous for his strength levels.

I found the Ulf Timmerman thing you were talking about pretty cool Ulf Timmerman - YouTube its fast so watch carefully you will see the guy drop the weight then almost instantly he will bench it up and the guy will grab it again. [/quote]

pretty awesome huh

The wildest thing about this guy is that he doesn’t look like he has 600- or 500 for that matter- in him. When I think of a 600+ raw bencher, I think of guys built like Ted Arcidi or Jeremy Hoorstra- thick, short arms, delts like bowling balls, etc. This dude looks like a regular guy. He could walk into any gym and just totally hustle somebody on a bet of who’s a bigger bencher.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/news/2004-07-26-usada-drug-tests_x.htm

Maybe he will get a little more respect after this. Maybe I am being dumb here, but what else can you expect this guy to go through to prove he is clean?

[/quote]

God- poor guy’s trying to land some trout and some douchebag comes from out of nowhere to have him piss in a cup.

Why the fuck do people even care about being in the Olympics anymore. Unless you get a headshot on a Wheaties box, it hardly seems worth it. I’m surprised all sports don’t have a parallel non-tested federation like there is in body building and powerlifting.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
MikeShank wrote:
www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/news/2004-07-26-usada-drug-tests_x.htm

God- poor guy’s trying to land some trout and some douchebag comes from out of nowhere to have him piss in a cup.

Why the fuck do people even care about being in the Olympics anymore. Unless you get a headshot on a Wheaties box, it hardly seems worth it. I’m surprised all sports don’t have a parallel non-tested federation like there is in body building and powerlifting.
[/quote]

it has presitge in it. When you tell anyone you were in the Olympics, people know your one of the top people in your field. If you were to say you competed at, say the Arnold Classic for PL, then people would be like “Ok, cool” or they might not even have an idea what your talking about.

and sometimes, its not about the money.

He’s one strong dude anyway you slice it.

Hell even if it was a shirted bench it would still be strong.

It actually defies belief that anyone can think this is anything but strong.

I really, really hate that the media has created such a storm of bullshit that any thread of a half decent feat of strength becomes a steroids thread within 5 posts.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
MikeShank wrote:

[/quote]

Because that would be a JOKE.

ENOUGH people in this forum are VERY quick to bust out the ‘steriods’ and question how clean this athlete is. It makes me sick. This is probably now my biggest single pet peeve. When someone does a bit lift etc they are automatically bashed with this steriods stick.

When my bro smashs 2x bw Snatch people will start ragging on him. But I know better. He is 12, trains his heart out 3x a week and I’ve been here with him and with my coach.

Can we not give this guy the benefit of the doubt? You do realise they is drugs testing?!

How many of you guys have been drugs tested? I’ve had 3 this year and counting. Drugs cheats are getting busted = good. Testing is getting better and the cheats are getting busted.

This forum makes it sound like every professional athlete/ good athlete is roiding. It is such a sh!t attitude.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Pinto wrote:
MikeShank wrote:

Because that would be a JOKE.

ENOUGH people in this forum are VERY quick to bust out the ‘steriods’ and question how clean this athlete is. It makes me sick. This is probably now my biggest single pet peeve. When someone does a bit lift etc they are automatically bashed with this steriods stick.

When my bro smashs 2x bw Snatch people will start ragging on him. But I know better. He is 12, trains his heart out 3x a week and I’ve been here with him and with my coach.

Can we not give this guy the benefit of the doubt? You do realise they is drugs testing?!

How many of you guys have been drugs tested? I’ve had 3 this year and counting. Drugs cheats are getting busted = good. Testing is getting better and the cheats are getting busted.

This forum makes it sound like every professional athlete/ good athlete is roiding. It is such a sh!t attitude.

Koing[/quote]

it’s been said many times before “Drug-tested does not mean drug-free”

On a side note, it’s ridiculous that people feel they have to qualify this lift with an addendum “And he’s drug free too!!!11!!ELEVEN” A 622 raw bench is beyond impressive, period. I dont care if you loaded me up with 4 grams of test a week, that’s not going to turn me into a 600 bencher overnight.

I’ve known plenty of guys who’ve used gear, many of them competitive athletes - some in drug-tested sports, some not. And in all of the cases that come to mind steroids AUGMENTED their hard work, it did not REPLACE it. Unfortunately, yeah, taking drugs in a drug-tested event is cheating, and for the most part, not too cool.

But thats just a symptom of the problem that this society thinks it should be able to tell you waht to put into your body, and of this irrational fear of the “all or nothing” mentality that many, if not MOST high-level athletes have.

shizen wrote:
This guy is huge explosive and strong, I don’t get why these kind of guys don’t go into the nfl and rake in the millions.

Ya know, I thought about that myself a few times. These O lifters could probably pop the shit out of any linemen they were put up against. So why not get in and make some money?

Then again, if they had to start training for football, they wouldnt be able to focus so much on the O lifting. Then again, would they lose the ability to recruit so many fibers all at once if they didnt continually train it?

I dunno.[/quote]

There’s a lot more to football than just being strong and explosive. You gotta have talent, experience, and football skill to play in the NFL.

You’re underestimating the Linemen in the NFL if you don’t think that they’d break this guy in half if stepped on a football field.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
shizen wrote:

I dunno.

There’s a lot more to football than just being strong and explosive. You gotta have talent, experience, and football skill to play in the NFL.

You’re underestimating the Linemen in the NFL if you don’t think that they’d break this guy in half if stepped on a football field.[/quote]

Thats true but to say they would break in half a guy that is probably stronger/faster and bigger then them is an exaggeration. I do agree he doesn’t have enough experience to be effective though. It’s a lot harder to train size and explosiveness then it is to train fundamental linemen skills.

He has the perfect size and strength/speed that he COULD have been a great NFL lineman, though he decided to go into an Olympic career instead.

I just don’t get why o-lifters dont develop some sort of suit or other apparatus that will help lift the weight. [/quote]

Maybe it’s because weightlifting involves too many joints in the body to create a suit that can isolate those joints like bench shirts. Maybe that’s why deadlift shirts aren’t so effective.

I dunno.