Oly Strength Programming

Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading and researching means of breaking into Oly lifting after primarily focusing on BB and PL routines for a few years. I put together a 6-week program for myself compiling most of the information that I’ve come across and wanted to see how this looks and get some insight into where I might be able to improve upon how I’m programming for my progress.

A brief of my goals are:
Break into Oly lifting with the main two lifts: clean, and snatch (I don’t plan on competing so I don’t think I need the jerk)
A general increase in overall strength. I’m recovering from a mild herniated disk so I am also trying to be careful to make sure I focus on strict form and core work.
Maintain some level of BB weakness training for areas I neglect in the Oly training

I do not have a coach accessible in my area, but I plan to start recording and posting my form on the forums to get critiques so that I can come as close to perfect form as possible, given this is a very technical line of training.

Below is the program, on the fourth day I mix around various BB movements to target those areas.

Bench 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
Overhead Press 5x5
Hang Clean 6x3
Snatch Grip Deadlift 6x2 (Alternating between Snatch Grip and Conventional)
Front Squat 6x3 (singles)

Off

Power Clean & Press 6x3
Hang Snatch 6x2
Back Squat 5x5
Pulldowns 3x12
Pullups 3xMax

Off

Push Press 5x5
Power Clean & FS 6x3
Power Snatch & OS 6x2

Off

Machine Chest Press 4x12
*Super: Face Pulls
Seated Military Press 5x5
Tricep Extension 3x15
*Super: Incline DB Curl
One-Leg Bench Squat 4x15
*Super: GHR

Thanks.

The attachment didn’t seem to work, so below is the program.

Bench 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
Overhead Press 5x5
Hang Clean 6x3
Snatch Grip Deadlift 6x2 (alternate snatch grip and conventional)

Power Clean

So let me make sure i got this straight.

You want to “break into Olympic lifting”

and you very first exercise, after much research is to:

“Bench”

Outstanding. Simply outstanding.
If there is one staple that every olympic champion relies on, its the much revered bench press.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight.

Could you please note that one of my goals is general strength improvement?

I realize that the bench press is not an oly exercise, but clearly I’d like to try and incorporate the bench press as a means of general strength training.

Is incorporating bench press not a good idea when I’m trying to improve my overall strength AND train in oly lifting?

I’d infer from his post that what he doesn’t get is:

First, you’re not doing progressions to help groove proper form and going straight to snatches. This is only going to ingrain bad habits.

Second, after all the research you’ve done, you still put your first exercise as the bench press. A very basic understanding of programming is that the order of exercises goes:

Power/Technical Lifts (Oly lifts) go first as they demand the most and should be done while you’re fresh

Strength work and/or Supplementary exercises

Cool down/Improving flexibility in lacking areas

I’d suggest more research on Olympic lift progressions and program design if you’re making an error like benching first in your workout.

-U.P.

I think for a beginner just doing the full lifts is the biggest bang for your buck. For the first few months just do the lifts. I wouldn’t worry so much about snatch pulls until you are lifting a heavy enough weight that keeping position while pulling off the floor becomes an issue. Also, Snatches and Cleans should be done first so you can focus on rhythm and timing while you are fresh. Here is how I would progress the full lifts. First you must be able to get into and hold basic potions of the Oly lifts.

Overhead Position->Power Snatch->Overhead Squat->Full Snatch
Rack Position->Power Clean->Front Squat->Full Clean

After you get in your Oly work this would be the time to work on your strength stuff. Keep in mind bench press could potential make mobility for that front squat pretty tough. Anyway hope something helped here. Weightlifting is definitely a journey.

Thanks, Unknown.

I do recognize the curiousness of adding BP to the beginning of my exercises. I placed the bench in front to add some initial muscle fatigue and warm up my shoulders before the military press. If that isn’t a good idea then I’ll definitely take that into account and make the necessary adjustments.

With regards to learning the bad habits for the clean and the snatch, what I’ve been doing at present is not the full lift all at once, in fact it is exactly the progression that you mentioned - I was just unclear in my original post. I used Dan John’s step by step break down of the lifts (A Beginner’s Program for the Olympic Lifts » Dan John) and use that as my exercises for each. For example, with the snatch, I start with a few reps of the first 3"-4" of the initial bar movement, a set of full extension through the hips, a set of the complete high pull, then progress to actually putting the bar overhead; that is all one set. I’m taking the steps to try and avoid building in bad patterns in the movement by breaking it down part by part in each of my “sets”; (each set being the step by step breakdown of the lift).

Thanks for the insight.

[quote]jmwn96 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading and researching means of breaking into Oly lifting after primarily focusing on BB and PL routines for a few years. I put together a 6-week program for myself compiling most of the information that I’ve come across and wanted to see how this looks and get some insight into where I might be able to improve upon how I’m programming for my progress.

A brief of my goals are:
Break into Oly lifting with the main two lifts: clean, and snatch (I don’t plan on competing so I don’t think I need the jerk)
A general increase in overall strength. I’m recovering from a mild herniated disk so I am also trying to be careful to make sure I focus on strict form and core work.
Maintain some level of BB weakness training for areas I neglect in the Oly training

I do not have a coach accessible in my area, but I plan to start recording and posting my form on the forums to get critiques so that I can come as close to perfect form as possible, given this is a very technical line of training.

Below is the program, on the fourth day I mix around various BB movements to target those areas.

Bench 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
Overhead Press 5x5
Hang Clean 6x3
Snatch Grip Deadlift 6x2 (Alternating between Snatch Grip and Conventional)

Off

Power Clean & Press 6x3
Hang Snatch 6x2
Back Squat 5x5
Pulldowns 3x12
Pullups 3xMax

Off

Push Press 5x5
Power Clean & FS 6x3
Power Snatch & OS 6x2

Off

Machine Chest Press 4x12
*Super: Face Pulls
Seated Military Press 5x5
Tricep Extension 3x15
*Super: Incline DB Curl
One-Leg Bench Squat 4x15
*Super: GHR

Thanks.[/quote]

You didn’t list percentage of max, but I assume you intend to train at the top end as most people prefer. You’re very heavy in complex movements per workout. For example, you want to “power clean and front squat” for 18 reps. Then snatch for 12, then squat 18 more? For the weights you will need to train to hit all yours lifts, your basically talking crossfit.

I think what you should have said is… I want to train like a meathead, but do a lot of power cleans and some power snatches. Which really means, train like you did before, and do 2 legs days a week, one day powe clean first, the other day snatch first.

Now, if I misunderstood your goals, then you should really consider doing jerks to some degree, and doing standard technique full lifts.

If you are able to provide your intended percentage of max goals, I’m sure some folks could help you with a starter program that is also tailored to upper body strength. You might also want to think about rep scheme for follow up to current listed scheme.

if you dont ever plan to compete and it looks like you still want to take the strength and muscle building route heres a way to easily combine them

sorry the link didt go through last night, personally i dont think the military press would have to be a oly movement do that one day instead of bench or db press and do a hang variation or just keep rotating snatch and the clean

if you want to get into weightlifting, the main things you have to get good at are the snatch and clean and jerk. not powersnatch or power clean.

1 Like

Ladies and Gents, another beautiful sarcastic non helpful response by Glenn Pendlay.

what is sarcastic about concentrating on snatch and clean and jerk if you want to get better at weightlifting??? The problem a LOT of people make is doing exactly what this guys program showed, doing exercises that are more geared to bodybuilding and expecting to get good at weightlifting. that doesn’t work. if you don’t like my posts just ignore them.

1 Like

Hi coach I’m kinda in a similar situation in that I’m a beginner to Olympic lifting and want to focus on that. I’m looking into the Dark Orchestra programs and I’m wondering if video analysis of lifts is included in the other programs or just the beginner one?

im not sure. but i would strongly advise you to look for a program that has a healthy amount of strength work in it. Not BB stuff, but strength work. the team DO program does not have this. find a coach that is a coach first, not just a failed lifter or BBer.

My mistake coach I thought you were affiliated with them. That’s why I asked you that question. When I went to your website just now the link to get information on your trainheroic programming just sent me to a blank trainheroic page. Are you offering this service anymore and if so where can I find it.

Thanks

I do online programming, go to my website stickthejerk.com to find out how to contact me or do join the program.