Oly Lifting with Partial Movements

If you don’t want to read the big ensuing paragraphs, here are the sparknotes: I’m not allowed to Oly. weightlift in my gym, looking for a good training schedule that involves partial movements.

Here’s the deal… we aren’t allowed to do Olympic lifts at my gym. I can’t switch gyms because I’m a college student and it’s the campus gym. I can’t travel to another gym because I don’t have transportation. So I’m stuck at a gym where I can’t Oly. lift. Whatever. My plan is to get as strong as possible in the next four years and then weightlift when I’m out of college.

I want to prepare for weightlifting by practicing variations of the lifts. For example, I get screamed at if I do a hang clean, but I can get away with doing a clean high-pull. Hang snatches will get you thrown out, but I can get away with drop snatches. Get what I’m saying?

I’ve basically invented a routine to prepare me, as well as possible, for weightlifting… without actually doing a full lift. I know I can’t really be good at weightlifting unless I do it, but I have to work with the given circumstances.

Basically, I do Stronglifts 5x5 three days a week. It’s a beginner powerlifting routine and it calls for back squatting 3x a week, but I do high-bar squats instead of low-bar squats. I also do Joe Defranco’s Agile 8 before every workout. Agile 8 is a stretch routine that really opens the hips and loosens you up for squats and stuff like that.

Stronglifts 5x5 (Sunday, Tuesday, Friday):
(5 sets, 5 reps):

1. High-bar squat (+5 lb each workout). The routine says to do low-bar but I do high-bar, for obvious reasons.
  2. Bench press OR ovHd press
  3. Barbell row OR deadlift. Note: we only do 1 set of deadlifts.

On Monday and Thursday, however, I do my own little special program where I try to weightlift without weightlifting. So here’s my full schedule:

Format: (% of max x Reps x Sets)

Sunday –
Warmup:

• Agile 8
    Work:
  • Stronglifts 5x5 (squattin’ heavy)

Monday – “Olympic” work
Warmup:

• Agile 8
  • Drop snatch w/ pause (bar x 6 x 2) ***I consider this a stretch.
    Work:
  • Drop snatch (70% of SN x 3 x 3)
  • Snatch pull to chin (105% of SN x 2 x 5)
  • Clean-grip upright row (30% of CL x 6 x 3)
    Assistance:
  • Weighted pull-ups (5 x 3)
  • Side plank hold (obliques) (3 sets)
  • Ab Crunch machine (heavy x 12 x 3)
  • Sled push (heavy x 3 sets) ***We load up 6 or 7 plates on a sled and push it 30 meters. KILLS the quads

Tuesday –
Warmup:

• Agile 8
    Work:
  • Stronglifts 5x5 (heavy squats)

Wednesday –
Rest, eat, rest

Thursday –
Warmup:

• Agile 8
  • Drop snatch w/ pause (bar x 6 x 2)
    Work:
  • Drop snatch (70% x 2 x 2)
  • Push press (75% of CL x 3 x 4) ***We’re not allowed to do jerks!!! But I do these as fast as possible. They’re practically push jerks. Sometime the gym attendant doesn’t know the difference. But split jerks are out of question.
    Assistance:
  • Weighted pull-ups (5 x 3)
  • Side plank hold (3 sets)
  • Ab Crunch machine (heavy x 12 x 3)
  • Sled push (really heavy x 1 set)

Friday –
Warmup:

• Agile 8
    Work:
    Stronglifts 5x5 (squatz)

Saturday –
Rest day. Sometimes I go for a 3 mile run.

So there’s my week.

You’ve probably already figured this out, but let me go ahead and tell you anyway: I DON’T KNOW HOW TO CREATE A TRAINING REGIMENT. I don’t know enough about how recovery works. I do know, however, that somewhere in Bulgaria, some goddamn animals are training twice a day, every day. So I’m ready to handle a serious workload. I don’t plan on squatting less than 3 days a week. But hey, I’ll squat 4 days if you tell me to :slight_smile:

That’s where you guy come in. Help me out fellas. Start from scratch if you want and help me create a training regiment that will make me strong. I should mention that my current goal and main focus is to high-bar squat 140 kg (current 1RM is 115 kg), so I want to keep squatting heavy and often.

I experienced something similar to this. I found that getting stronger in my pulls and squats seemed to help the most. I would suggest:

-Heavy pulls. I mainly just did clean and snatch pulls from the floor, but I don’t see any reason why you can’t do high hang, low hang or off boxes either. I usually did them for 3 reps but also did singles and doubles occasionally, number of sets ranged from 3-5.

-Squat. I did squats everyday hitting a daily max, then drop 10-20kg (depending how I felt) for 2x2. I did more front than back but there are arguments to do equal amounts of each or more back than front.

This will certainly get you strong, which should help when you start performing the lifts. Obviously nothing is as beneficial doing the lifts themselves. See if they will let you perform the lifts with just the bar you can never get enough bar work.

I also did a lot of upper back work (rows, pullups and shrugs), which I don’t think can hurt, but I wouldn’t feel confident in saying it is going to help as much as squats and pulls.

If you are more concerned with getting good at the lifts I would sugest you lose most of the accesory work and focus on getting good technique. Unless you’re Lu Xiaojuns all that pulling/deadlifts/are killing your pull-under. Most respectable coaches stay away even from powers until the positions and speed are REALLY dialed in. If you just want to be a well rounded lifter, a powerlifter, a bodybuilder or a weird conmbination of the formers, then keep doing whatever you’re doing. Of course it’s entirelly possible you already answered my question in your post but tl;dr.

I agree with James, squats and pulls if you can’t do classics. Beyond that snatch balance, jerk balance, push press or anything else you can get away with :slight_smile: do full lifts with broomstick and work on key positions/transitions. Programme wise I like periodization but try daily max AKA Bulgarian. You need to give each of these methods a decent trial eg 3 months each. Listen to your body in terms of recovery and don’t try to knit together lots of different programmes/ideas etc, keep it simple, maybe have an A, B session and overlay that onto heavy, medium and light days? Work at 85%+, 1-5 reps etc.

Can you do the full movements with a broomstick???

If so, during a Long warmup I’d try doing quite a bit of broomstick work.

Here’s a partial movement periodization program from Poliquin’s website (maybe it can give you some ideas):

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/745/A_Short_Course_in_Short-Term_Periodization.aspx