Oly Lifting + Bodybulding

Do you guys think these two things can be put together?
I’m an oly lifter but my body composition is not something I can be proud of so i’m looking for ways to improve it (get bigger). But oly lifting is still my first priority.

What kind of reps are you doing for the O-lifts? If you are doing multiple sets of singles, doubles and triples, you can build muscle. Or, are you trying to lose fat?

Remember, Front and Back Squatting are big parts of O-lift training. 8X3 in those will build the legs. Cleans and snatches will beef up the traps and upper back. RDLs are good for the hams.

Presses (I think you should include presses in your overhead training), Push Press, Jerks for the shoulders. The only thing you are missing there is the chest…I don’t have a problem with doing some Inclines, pref. close grip Inclines once a week.

Also, your lack of Biceps prob. bother you. If you want to be an 0-lifter, then sorry about your luck. If you want to do curls once a week, I dont think it will hurt your lifts though. Remember, having 22" arms isn’t the goal of an O-lifter.

If you are trying to lose fat but keep doing the O-lifts…do it. Get a better diet/liftstyle. Walk with an X-Vest. Do Triple Lifts, i.e., Do a clean, press it for 3, jerk it for 3, then lower it and do 3 RDLs, thats a set. Those will help. Remember that CT said something along that lines of the O-lifts being ideal for those on diets since the amount of work and force output are tremendous.

Diet is key with the fat loss though.

…But, give me some more info so I can help you better. I suggest looking at some of the middle weights like Dymas, Kakashivilis, etc. and older guys like David Rigert and see that you can look muscular and O-lift.

Also, if you are just training to train, the two can be put together. Actually I think the best programs are a mix of O-lifting, PL, and BB.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Also, if you are just training to train, the two can be put together. Actually I think the best programs are a mix of O-lifting, PL, and BB.[/quote]

That sounds very interesting - what would a program like that look like? Is that something you would create for yourself or are there existing programs that would fit this description?
(hope that’s not a dumb question :))

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:
Also, if you are just training to train, the two can be put together. Actually I think the best programs are a mix of O-lifting, PL, and BB.

That sounds very interesting - what would a program like that look like? Is that something you would create for yourself or are there existing programs that would fit this description?
(hope that’s not a dumb question :))
[/quote]

A simple way to do so is to take some of the programs and modify the lifts that can be changed slightly. For example, with The Watebury Method, instead of upright rows, I’m doing hang cleans. Instead of military press, I’m doing push jerks. Or, you could simply do a clean & jerk I suppose. Of course, that particular program already has squats and bench in high set/low reps ala PL.

Of course, another way is to cycle through the styles. For example, I just finished Dr. Squats 80 Day PL routine a few months back, then ABBH, now I’m on WM with the above mentioned exercise mods. I guess this is more like taking a longer term view.

Personal side note: I actually end up looking better on PL routines.

Matt

don alessi had a program on here called " bodybuilding’s best kept secret"
some really useful oly- hybrid lifts. nothing groundbreaking but the way he puts the routine together makes for a couple of good workouts that i’ve been getting mileage out of since it came out a year or two back. -s

Il Cazzo, my program looks like this:
Mon/thur:
snatch 4x2-3
drop snatch 4x2-3
snatch from hte hang 4x2-3
back squat 4x2-4
ABS (russian twists, side bends)

Tue/Fri
C&J 4x1-2
clean 4x2-3
push jerk 4x1-2
front squats 4x2-4
ABS+back (roman chair, hyperextension)

I’m 6?3, weigh 193 lbs.
I know i’m not going to have bodybuilder arms, and I’m OK with that.
I just want to add some mass to my upper body, which could be a little bigger compared to my legs (which grow real nicely).