T Nation

OLY Coach or Team in Long Island

Anyone know a gym or coach that teaches Olympic Lifting?

I would like to compete one day but I’ve recently started boxing and would just like to learn the lifts to supplement my athletics. I found a coach about 45 minutes away with a nice serious team…they train in a hardcore gym and everything but I don’t know if it’s the best idea because from what the coach said it sounds like he would like me to compete.

You can do both I imagine. There is no reason not to compete in both.

Almost all olifting programs are made with built in comps anyhow. The only difference between competeing and not is that you get to show up at a meet once every few months or so and meet a bunch of other people in the sport and do a couple max test’s to see where your at for your next program.

I reckon you would likely have to do those max tests anyhow but in a way les cool environment and you wouldn’t get to wear the mighty man-panty singlet!

So just compete in both and let your coach know about your boxing schedule. any good coach could program you to lift and box at the same time. Just let him know when you have fights coming up and he will likely taper you down for those.

Thing is you just gotta eat real precisely. you cannot miss a gram of protein or PWO bowl of oats on any day. And you need to train at your competition weight for both sports [+5-8lbs for boxing since you can weight cut that the night before with no real detriment. unless you’re a real watery bugger].

Other than that you’ll be fine.

In other news: dope avatar.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
You can do both I imagine. There is no reason not to compete in both.

Almost all olifting programs are made with built in comps anyhow. The only difference between competeing and not is that you get to show up at a meet once every few months or so and meet a bunch of other people in the sport and do a couple max test’s to see where your at for your next program.

I reckon you would likely have to do those max tests anyhow but in a way les cool environment and you wouldn’t get to wear the mighty man-panty singlet!

So just compete in both and let your coach know about your boxing schedule. any good coach could program you to lift and box at the same time. Just let him know when you have fights coming up and he will likely taper you down for those.

Thing is you just gotta eat real precisely. you cannot miss a gram of protein or PWO bowl of oats on any day. And you need to train at your competition weight for both sports [+5-8lbs for boxing since you can weight cut that the night before with no real detriment. unless you’re a real watery bugger].

Other than that you’ll be fine.

In other news: dope avatar.

-chris[/quote]

Wow this is exactly what I wanted to hear. A word of encouragement. Hopefully I’ll be able to fit in some sort of roadwork plus the oly lifting as well. I’ve heard OLY lifter can train almost everyday so it sounds like I’ll be fresh if I lift 3 times per week(when the team meets) for boxing and some roadwork.

where is this gym located?

[quote]twistacannon15 wrote:
where is this gym located?[/quote]

http://www.metbarbell.com/

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
Avocado wrote:
You can do both I imagine. There is no reason not to compete in both.

Almost all olifting programs are made with built in comps anyhow. The only difference between competeing and not is that you get to show up at a meet once every few months or so and meet a bunch of other people in the sport and do a couple max test’s to see where your at for your next program.

I reckon you would likely have to do those max tests anyhow but in a way les cool environment and you wouldn’t get to wear the mighty man-panty singlet!

So just compete in both and let your coach know about your boxing schedule. any good coach could program you to lift and box at the same time. Just let him know when you have fights coming up and he will likely taper you down for those.

Thing is you just gotta eat real precisely. you cannot miss a gram of protein or PWO bowl of oats on any day. And you need to train at your competition weight for both sports [+5-8lbs for boxing since you can weight cut that the night before with no real detriment. unless you’re a real watery bugger].

Other than that you’ll be fine.

In other news: dope avatar.

-chris

Wow this is exactly what I wanted to hear. A word of encouragement. Hopefully I’ll be able to fit in some sort of roadwork plus the oly lifting as well. I’ve heard OLY lifter can train almost everyday so it sounds like I’ll be fresh if I lift 3 times per week(when the team meets) for boxing and some roadwork. [/quote]

I personally say fuck roadwork and get better at skipping. you sprain one ankle and your fucked. every fighter i’ve seen that gets fucked by an injury before fights is a guy who fucked his ankle or knee doing all that precious running. It’s never an injury from actual fighting.

Skipping = stronger ankles

Running = the most injurious activity ever

-chris

http://www.lostbattalionhallweightlifting.org/location.htm

these guys have an excellent reputation and are in queens I am in Manhattan and have a crazy schedule but I am planning a trip or two a month out there.

kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
http://www.lostbattalionhallweightlifting.org/location.htm

these guys have an excellent reputation and are in queens I am in Manhattan and have a crazy schedule but I am planning a trip or two a month out there.

kmc

[/quote]

A bunch of good guys there.