T Nation

OLY Bumpers STANK

I bought a pair of bumper plates over a year ago, and anytime I bring them inside the house it instantly smells bad. I read it 'off gases'

-Why do these stink?
-how do I remove the stink?( have a child and if it gives me a headache I can only imagine what it will do to a newborn)

I wanted to eventually learn the OLY lifts, and when I move all my current equipment is staying. So I figured if I bought an entire Bumper plate set I could use it for any purpose. But if the stink never goes away I don't feel right bothering my girl and child with it.

[quote]WithMusa wrote:
I bought a pair of bumper plates over a year ago, and anytime I bring them inside the house it instantly smells bad. I read it ‘off gases’

-Why do these stink?
-how do I remove the stink?( have a child and if it gives me a headache I can only imagine what it will do to a newborn)

I wanted to eventually learn the OLY lifts, and when I move all my current equipment is staying. So I figured if I bought an entire Bumper plate set I could use it for any purpose. But if the stink never goes away I don’t feel right bothering my girl and child with it.[/quote]

What kind did you buy? High quality bumpers don’t smell any more than metal plates. And usually less so since they don’t rust

I know the feels…

Raw apple cider vinegar my friend… and castor oil

Wash it thoroughly with ACV first.
Make a castor oil and water solution and wash it with that too.
I mean scrub that bitch.

rinse and repeat, finishing off with water…

you can use the rest of castor oil for various other things. Like using it on your hair to make it covergirl luxurious.
Or research some of the cures/uses that Edgar Cayce discovered by talking to aliens.
Not even joking.

SO is this a serious answer the Apple cider and caster oil? lol…

Also Anyone have tips for removing rust off the barbell?

For barbell rust, a can of Coca Cola and some steel wool can take off the surface rust.

At my gym we use WD40 and a bar brush