T Nation

Olive Oil v. Mayo

I don’t understand why is olive oil better for you than mayo?

Olive oil is 13.8% saturated fat and mayo is 14.4% saturated fat.

What’s the big deal? Why does JB say to get lots of olive oil but articles like this one:

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460638

say to avoid mayo like the plague?

Seriosly confused,

bf

Not all fats are created equal. Check around this site for some articles on the different kinds of fats and you’ll see why olive oil isn’t bad.

I don’t have a jar of mayo here but I seem to remember that it has quite a few carbs. Simply put, eating carbs and fats in the same meal can help make you fat. There are alot of articles here on that as well.

Olive oil is largely monounsaturated. That’s the big deal, mono’s are good for ya.

[quote]bj_willi wrote:
Not all fats are created equal. Check around this site for some articles on the different kinds of fats and you’ll see why olive oil isn’t bad.

I don’t have a jar of mayo here but I seem to remember that it has quite a few carbs. Simply put, eating carbs and fats in the same meal can help make you fat. There are alot of articles here on that as well. [/quote]

All the Mayo I have ever seen is 0 carb

Most mayo DOES have some carbs in it. In fact HFCS is usually the 2nd or 3rd ingredient mentioned. But, it is not overly significant in terms of amount.

I think the main source of oil in mayo is soybean. I also believe the poster above was on to something with the percentage of mono and poly fats available.

Mayo is mostly Polyunsaturated (specifically, Omega 6).

Olive Oil is mostly Monounsaturated.

olive oil has mainly Omega 9… most americans already get too many omega 6’s vs omega 3’s… mayo being strong in the sixes isn’t a good choice for most folks

Besides the different fat makeup, olive oil also has tons of healing benefits.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1129069637346.sperm.jpg

Mayo is disgusting! If you like to eat sperm, then eat mayo!!!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Mayo is disgusting! If you like to eat sperm, then eat mayo!!![/quote]

I am officially never eating mayo again.

I am officially quadrupling my mayo consumption! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote]brainfreez wrote:
I don’t understand why is olive oil better for you than mayo?

Olive oil is 13.8% saturated fat and mayo is 14.4% saturated fat.

What’s the big deal? Why does JB say to get lots of olive oil but articles like this one:

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460638

say to avoid mayo like the plague?

Seriosly confused,

bf[/quote]

Olive Oil also has a ton of powerful phytochemicals in it including quercetin. For this reason it’s one of the new “superfoods”. It’s also part of the Mediterranean Diet which is widely recognized as one of the heathiest (long term, non-fad) diets on planet earth.

[quote]Sabrina wrote:
I am officially quadrupling my mayo consumption! ;P[/quote]

I don’t know why, but I thought you didn’t like…mayo?

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

I don’t know why, but I thought you didn’t like…mayo?[/quote]

I cannot imagine what would have given you such a blatant…misconception. Condimentation adds zest to any meal.