Olive Oil Three Times Per Day?

I am a teenage male athlete and have a very high activity level of around 3-4 hours per day training for sport. I try to get around 5500 calories per day, but since I started eating a more Paleolithic diet, I have trouble getting above 4000-4500 kcal. All my carbs come from veggies, fruits, oatmeal, and sometimes potatoes. 

To make a long story short, my question is, is there anything wrong with taking 5 tbsp of cold-pressed, extra virgin Olive Oil, 3 times per day (15 tbsp total)? I would be taking about 7g of fish oil along with each dose of Olive oil (24g total of fish oil per day), as to offset any negative Omega 6:3 ratio imbalances.

Any comments would be welcome, thanks.

Sure go for it but why not get a little variety, some nuts an ounce is like 200k/cals, get some walnuts or walnut oil, avacado, whole eggs, sunflower seeds, coconut. etc…

Phill

Thanks Phill.

Actually, I eat plenty of nuts/seeds, and whole eggs every day. I need all the fats I can get to meet my calorie requirements!

Go for it. I get in a ton of fat. I sip olive oil like its going out of style, like its a gin and tonic.

I dump it on my veggies and salads, plus fish oil, etc. I put in my shakes, etc. Olive oil is good for you.

[quote]tajam wrote:
Thanks Phill.

Actually, I eat plenty of nuts/seeds, and whole eggs every day. I need all the fats I can get to meet my calorie requirements![/quote]

np then knock your self out bro in sure plenty of folk in Italy have 5tblspnns a day and many in the area are healthy old bastages

Phill

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think you misunderstood me… I meant 15 tbsp per day, not 5. Sorry if you did understand, I’m just making sure.

15x14 grams of fat in the average TBSP of olive oil is 210 grams of fat just from olive oil. Although about 165 of that is monounsaturated it’s still a lot. I would add in more polyunsaturated by getting your hands on some walnuts or flax oil. Try to keep mono and poly more or less balanced.

I have had 6 month long periods consuming 20 tablespoons of olive oil a day. I am no worse for wear and my blood work has not changed for the worse. Taking shots of olive oil is a great way to get in extra calories.

Ya know whats interesting, belching with both HOT-ROX, and a double shot of EVOO in you.

–JB

sure youll be fine things will likely slide right the hell out of you lol. I agree for long term id get other sources like get walnut oil, etc you can take same way but get more balance in your fats, id also think abut more sats coconut being a great easy choice, buy the milk and drink or use in shakes or eat butter :slight_smile:

Phill

Walnut Oil sounds interesting, I gotta get some of that. I cant really drink milk on a Paleo-style “diet”, thats why its so hard getting my calories up.

Does anybody know of some other good Omega-3 Oils besides fish oil?

[quote]tajam wrote:

Does anybody know of some other good Omega-3 Oils besides fish oil? [/quote]

Walnut and Flax

Phill

[quote]tajam wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, but I think you misunderstood me… I meant 15 tbsp per day, not 5. Sorry if you did understand, I’m just making sure. [/quote]

Although I don’t see any harm, I think this is a time for progression. If your system isn’t ready for it, that may have an “interesting” effect on your digestive system.

Try increasing it by 1tbsp, 3 times/day and then upping it a couple days latter provided your digestive system doesn’t object.

As an aside, I hope you are getting plenty of red meat as well, with the amount of mono and poly unsaturated fats you’re consuming you should also have an consistent supply of saturated fats.

[quote]tajam wrote:
Walnut Oil sounds interesting, I gotta get some of that. I cant really drink milk on a Paleo-style “diet”, thats why its so hard getting my calories up.

Does anybody know of some other good Omega-3 Oils besides fish oil? [/quote]

I think Phill was refering to coconut milk, which I think would be fine

If you take a look at Barry Sears’s Zone diet books, he recommends high intakes of fat in the form of monounsaturated fat.

I believe that Sears says that some Omega-6 fatty acids cause inflammation, whereas some do not, and Omega-3as prevent it. If I recall his argument correctly, he says that a large of monounsaturated ‘good’ omega-6s are ‘neutral,’ neither causing substantial inflammation for preventing or counteracting the inflammation caused by ‘bad’ fatty acids. So large intake of ‘neutral’ fats reduces the total percentage of fatty acids in your diet that cause inflammation.

I don’t have the biological knowledge necessary to confirm this, but it might be worth taking a glance at a couple of his books in Borders if you care tinkering with your diet in a very scientific fashion.

a little heavy whipping cream if a delicious way to add fat to a shake too!

but yah olive oil is a great source of cals too.