Olive Oil Intake

i also wouldn’t be so concerned with saturated fats as long as your good fats are in order. as was said above coconut oil works great.

and rememeber oil and water don’t mix. if your food is soaking up oil the water in the food is boiling out and the oil is moving in.

the heat is too low and cook time too slow.

[quote]swivel wrote:
i also wouldn’t be so concerned with saturated fats as long as your good fats are in order. as was said above coconut oil works great.

and rememeber oil and water don’t mix. if your food is soaking up oil the water in the food is boiling out and the oil is moving in.

the heat is too low and cook time too slow.[/quote]

Swiv are you a chef? You knows lots about prepping food.

[quote]dr stig wrote:

Olive Oil smokes though at low heat because of the sediment in it. Its more or less unavoidable.[/quote]
???
It doesn’t give off smoke at LOW heat!

[quote]Vegilles wrote:
dr stig wrote:

Olive Oil smokes though at low heat because of the sediment in it. Its more or less unavoidable.
???
It doesn’t give off smoke at LOW heat!
[/quote]

It readily smokes in a reasonable hot pan, without having to massacre it.

LOL, when I saw this thread title I assumed it would be about drinking olive oil.

That shows the kind of dietary mindset I’m in right now.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
LOL, when I saw this thread title I assumed it would be about drinking olive oil.

That shows the kind of dietary mindset I’m in right now.[/quote]

Wow Ross…so did I!

[quote]dr stig wrote:
swivel wrote:

the heat is too low and cook time too slow.

Swiv are you a chef? You knows lots about prepping food.
[/quote]

ha ! you think if i were a chef i’d have time to post here ? i’ve waited in some really good restaurants, took alot of mental notes and asked alot of questions.

[quote]swivel wrote:
"Extra virgin olive oil, while not damaged by processing, is a poor source of essential fats, and provides less that 1% n-3 and only 10% n-6.

he also says this:

“The richer an oil is in EFAs (especially n-3), the more it is damaged when fried, and the more toxic it becomes.”
[/quote]

Yes olive oil IS a poor source of essential omega 3 and omega 6 fats. THat’s where the healthy properties come from. It’s highest in omega 9 fats.

Also as was said, coconut oil (a highly saturated oil) is the best to fry with and will be the least damaged. Coconut oil is SOLID at room temp however.

[quote]Vegilles wrote:
Your opinion on Canola oil being crap, maybe you assume it’s dangerous because it’s derived from rapeseed… keep in mind it’s erucic acid content is kept to 2% and while it’s large amount of polyunsaturated omega 3 fats will be burned away in cooking, it is good for HIGH heat cooking.[/quote]

The omega 3 fats just don’t disappear. They become oxidized. And oxidized fats are extremely unhealthy. It’s much better than a highly polyunsaturated fat, but not nearly as good as olive oil. :slight_smile:

so out of curiosity i got some coconut oil, which i’d never used before. the stuff works really well. fast, clean. i like it alot.

also i was talking to a girl friend who said it’s pretty good for…um… other things.