T Nation

Olive Oil in Shakes

Hey,

I’m trying to cut carbs - I’m getting my maintenance calories from mostly fats and protein and taking in most of my simple carbs peri-workout (50g per day).

In an effort to reach my caloric intake, I’m using a lot of olive oil in my diet - on leafy greens and in my no carb shakes. TASTES LIKE SH!T. Is anybody else supplementing in the same way? Any suggestions to make this diet a little more pallatable? Use a different oil? Get my fat from a different source?

Thanks…

Are you adding an emulsifier to your shake? Otherwise you’ll just get a glob of fat on the top of the shake, down and olive tasting bolus, and ruin the rest of your shake since the aftertaste is still present.

There are a lot of other sources of fat out there, but how can we know your tastes? I personally love olive oil with veggies, so I believe my advice may not apply to you.

If all else fails, though, just down a few nuts alongside your shake.

Coconut oil tastes better, although you need to blend it at high speed.

Or you can just eat it straight.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Are you adding an emulsifier to your shake? Otherwise you’ll just get a glob of fat on the top of the shake, down and olive tasting bolus, and ruin the rest of your shake since the aftertaste is still present.

There are a lot of other sources of fat out there, but how can we know your tastes? I personally love olive oil with veggies, so I believe my advice may not apply to you.

If all else fails, though, just down a few nuts alongside your shake.[/quote]

I know there are a lot of other sources of fat out there - the problem is most of them come with carbs! I like peanut butter, nuts (please, no comments), cheese, eggs, homo milk etc. but I’m trying to keep my daily carb intake to 50g…I’ve just started to diet this way so I’m still feeling things out and I thought olive oil would be a good solution to introduce good fats quickly. The problem is I’m finding that I have to douse my salad with the stuff - like it is literally swimming and I have to ruin my already bland shakes with it.

Just wondering what other people are doing to get their fat calories without carbs…

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Coconut oil tastes better, although you need to blend it at high speed.

Or you can just eat it straight.[/quote]

Thanks that’s a good suggestion…

[quote]DieSucka wrote:
homo milk

[/quote]

lol…

But seriously. Don’t mix it with your shakes, and don’t use it as a stand alone dressing. Mix some vinegar with it for dressing. Drink it in shots if you are hell bent on getting your fat from EVOO. Almonds/raw peanuts/cashews have no carbs to my knowledge… neither does plain nut butter- NOT JIFF OR PETER PAN.

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]DieSucka wrote:
homo milk

[/quote]

lol…

But seriously. Don’t mix it with your shakes, and don’t use it as a stand alone dressing. Mix some vinegar with it for dressing. Drink it in shots if you are hell bent on getting your fat from EVOO. Almonds/raw peanuts/cashews have no carbs to my knowledge… neither does plain nut butter- NOT JIFF OR PETER PAN.[/quote]

hehe homogenized

Yes - that is what I did tonight. After I was finished my salmon steaks and green salad (which is purely leaves) with 2 tablespoons of blue cheese dressing (which was actual a bit of cheat because each tablespoon had a gram of carbs) I realized that I was not going to reach my goal of 3780 calories so I threw some more leaves in another bowl, put on about 7 tablespoons of olive oil and put in a shot of vinegar. Two hours later I proceeded to eat my plate of 4 whole eggs (Omega 3) and 4 egg whites. Tonight I will have eaten 56g of carbs for the day.

But really - I have never had a diet high in fat in my whole life and frankly it’s a bit sickening…and to put the cherry on top, I’m burping up fish smell from the 4 fish oil capsules I just took hahahaha. I don’t know how people do this!

burp

Make sure you get Extra Virgin olive oil. There’s a world of difference between good olive oil, OK and bad oil, like wine.

The ones I get taste so good, or my tastebuds are so fucked up, I usually just drink it after a meal to get some in.

DieSucka:

Are you having any bowel troubles?

Extra light olive oil. Very little flavor. The ‘extra light’ only refers to the flavor. If you stir it into the shake and drink it quickly it will stay mixed for long enough to get it down. There is no reason what so ever to pour olive oil into the shake and wait for it to rise to the top.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
DieSucka:

Are you having any bowel troubles? [/quote]

Hi Therizza:

YES - absolutely. And it seems to have gotten worse over the past week (my first week) of dieting this way.

Why - do you have some advice? I will take any. At this point I’m really reconsidering my plans here…I’m thinking of just going back to eating complex carbs throughout the day, no carbs after 4pm and simple carbs peri-workout.

I used to think shovelling food into my mouth during a bulk was unpleasant but this is really not a nice feeling…anyway, I know there are worse things (like fighting in Afghanistan for example) so I’m not going to b!tch too much here…noone is forcing me after all.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Extra light olive oil. Very little flavor. The ‘extra light’ only refers to the flavor. If you stir it into the shake and drink it quickly it will stay mixed for long enough to get it down. There is no reason what so ever to pour olive oil into the shake and wait for it to rise to the top.

[/quote]

Yeah - I kind of took that bolus comment with a grain of salt (not literally). The oil disperses throughout the shake quite easily so that’s not really an issue. There is no question that it is delivered successfully.

By a big container of benefiber. Use a few teaspoons a day if necessary. Taper up the dose though so you don’t fuck up your system. It really is great stuff and I rely on it if I dont have a stretch of time without leafy greens.

I was adding olive oil to shakes last summer and it made me smell like baby shit. No joke. No one ever said anything to me, but I noticed it for sure.

[quote]DieSucka wrote:

[quote]Therizza wrote:
DieSucka:

Are you having any bowel troubles? [/quote]

Hi Therizza:

YES - absolutely. And it seems to have gotten worse over the past week (my first week) of dieting this way.

Why - do you have some advice? I will take any. At this point I’m really reconsidering my plans here…I’m thinking of just going back to eating complex carbs throughout the day, no carbs after 4pm and simple carbs peri-workout.

I used to think shovelling food into my mouth during a bulk was unpleasant but this is really not a nice feeling…anyway, I know there are worse things (like fighting in Afghanistan for example) so I’m not going to b!tch too much here…noone is forcing me after all.

[/quote]

Just wondering because whenever I jack up my fat intake too quickly, I get some troubles. If your shit is pale and smells worse than normal, you probably aren’t digesting alot of the fat you’re ingesting. Perhaps try a slower approach to upping your dietary fat. Benefiber is awesome too, as bones said.

What about having avocado with your salads? Good fats and fiber (most of the carbs are fiber). I try to have a variety of sources of fats. I don’t like sticking to only one type of source for good fats (ie. olive oil) because it might lack what other sources have. Also, it’s a good way to vary things up a little.

I’ve used flaxseed oil with some good success (it’s pretty good with vanilla low carb Metabolic Drive, cinnamon and nutmeg). Carlson’s liquid fish oil is a good source of fats too, and it tastes lemony.

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
I was adding olive oil to shakes last summer and it made me smell like baby shit. No joke. No one ever said anything to me, but I noticed it for sure.[/quote]

Now that you mention it - I smelled like baby shit in the gym today. Damn…olive oil just does not seem to agree with me. Nor flax seed oil (I’ve taken capsules in the past and they gave me a lot of gut pain). I seem to be sensivity to all this stuff. One oil that doesn’t seem to harm me too much is fish oil I think…I take about 8 capsules per day and the only thing it does is makes me burp fish!

I’m having a really hard time dialing this in…

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]DieSucka wrote:

[quote]Therizza wrote:
DieSucka:

Are you having any bowel troubles? [/quote]

Hi Therizza:

YES - absolutely. And it seems to have gotten worse over the past week (my first week) of dieting this way.

Why - do you have some advice? I will take any. At this point I’m really reconsidering my plans here…I’m thinking of just going back to eating complex carbs throughout the day, no carbs after 4pm and simple carbs peri-workout.

I used to think shovelling food into my mouth during a bulk was unpleasant but this is really not a nice feeling…anyway, I know there are worse things (like fighting in Afghanistan for example) so I’m not going to b!tch too much here…noone is forcing me after all.

[/quote]

Just wondering because whenever I jack up my fat intake too quickly, I get some troubles. If your shit is pale and smells worse than normal, you probably aren’t digesting alot of the fat you’re ingesting. Perhaps try a slower approach to upping your dietary fat. Benefiber is awesome too, as bones said.[/quote]

Got the benefiber…

I think you are right on the money here Therizza. I don’t think I am digesting the fats properly. It seems like they are going right through me. And this seems supported by the fact that I have lost way too much weight doing this than I should have. I mean, theoretically I am getting the same number of maintenance calories as I was before - training has not changed yet I am losing weight. I think I should just go back to bulking and live with the fat until the time comes that I want to cut and cheat by taking some fat burning drug like clen…

I use Macademia Nut Oil and don’t really notice a change in flavor, though I’m not sure what quantities you are using.