T Nation

OLift Related PB's

Well since the other forums have one lets post whatever PB’s you guys have gotten:

Bw 90kg +5kg
+2kg training PB +3kg comp pb
145kg C&J : it’s taken over 2yrs to get from 142kg to 145kg…WHERE and WHAT the f0ck have I been doing?!! I did Gladiators and got injured so that took about 5-6months to do and get over my knee injury

+5kg Clean PB
150Kg Clean, failed Jerk

PS 70kg for as many reps as you can without letting go over the bar using straps

To 5 it is okay but 7-8 it burns…I’m not cut out for power endurance and never do anything over 3’s.

Koing

Lol those were really entertaining man, thanks. No videos from me as of yet, should have some going in a couple of months.

It’s okay man. It’s not worth it to do more than 5 reps. When I see 40% for 6 for warm up, I start a shit storm.

I’m about 128kg at the moment, so firmly inside super-heavy territory.

I’ve been going to an Oly gym for about 8 or 9 months, though due to two injuries I’ve probably only gotten 5 or 6 months of actual training.

Looking at my logbook, my best lifts are:

C&J: 110kg
Snatch: 90kg

I also have a C&J of 130kg performed with spotters.

It’s a long road to the 200s for me.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
It’s okay man. It’s not worth it to do more than 5 reps. When I see 40% for 6 for warm up, I start a shit storm.[/quote]

It was for a laugh, a mate DW did 9 and died on the 10th one also but again non of us do any rep work. The most rep we will do is 3 and thats if your really adventerous!

I think it breaks up training and I’ll want to get out 10reps but yeah after 6reps in general without longer rest period form definitely goes down and out of the window but I definitely think theres something to be said about getting the weight over head with less then optimal form. Read that interview by David Tate :slight_smile:

[quote]el_presidente wrote:
I’m about 128kg at the moment, so firmly inside super-heavy territory.

I’ve been going to an Oly gym for about 8 or 9 months, though due to two injuries I’ve probably only gotten 5 or 6 months of actual training.

Looking at my logbook, my best lifts are:

C&J: 110kg
Snatch: 90kg

I also have a C&J of 130kg performed with spotters.

It’s a long road to the 200s for me.[/quote]

Nice mate. 200s? 200Kg C&J?

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Nice mate. 200s? 200Kg C&J?[/quote]

Something like that would be nice. I’m too old and busted to ever be an Olympian, but I wouldn’t mind being reasonably competitive as an amateur in my weight class.

[quote]el_presidente wrote:
Koing wrote:
Nice mate. 200s? 200Kg C&J?

Something like that would be nice. I’m too old and busted to ever be an Olympian, but I wouldn’t mind being reasonably competitive as an amateur in my weight class.[/quote]

HOW many Olympians do we have here? Probably no one.

Koing

+7Kg PB Hang Clean

I’ll use the other thread as that has more posts in and thats been bumped back up.

Koing

Hi Koing, glad to see your still lifting and posting. You helped me back in 07 when I was making my comeback to OL after 30 years. I ran out of steam in Costa Rica due to a bad shoulder and no decent gym. I took a year off and then started back 6 months ago. Got carried away with powerlifting, getting 320/375/500 recently, but this still means nothing to me except gave me an extra twenty pounds of muscle (now 260-sorry about the lbs, gonna have to start thinking in kilos again).

I am ready to start serious OL training again with an eye on competing in Master's (I'm 53 now). I'm living in Florida with good equipment but no coach. Any ideas? I could start my own thread...but I liked it better when you had your own and everyone pitched in. Anyway, I started my overhead squats today, tons of technique work, and half an hour of stretching, and left the powercleans alone. Doc

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Hi Koing, glad to see your still lifting and posting. You helped me back in 07 when I was making my comeback to OL after 30 years. I ran out of steam in Costa Rica due to a bad shoulder and no decent gym. I took a year off and then started back 6 months ago. Got carried away with powerlifting, getting 320/375/500 recently, but this still means nothing to me except gave me an extra twenty pounds of muscle (now 260-sorry about the lbs, gonna have to start thinking in kilos again).

I am ready to start serious OL training again with an eye on competing in Master's (I'm 53 now). I'm living in Florida with good equipment but no coach. Any ideas? I could start my own thread...but I liked it better when you had your own and everyone pitched in. Anyway, I started my overhead squats today, tons of technique work, and half an hour of stretching, and left the powercleans alone. Doc[/quote]

Hi man,

Good to hear from you!

I remember dude :slight_smile:

You will do very well in the Master’s mate. How about contacting a local college or football team? Or a CrossFit place? They should at least have the basics down and have some people lifting in the gym so that’ll provide good motivation.

OHS is a must. DO them so that you stay at the bottom for 5seconds (if your wrists don’t scream at you, or wrap them up, don’t go heavy, just the bar) hold for 5seconds but stay tight under it. Your positions will get stronger and your flexibility will improve. Do this for 5seconds x 4-5sets or so.

You can do an OHS but stay at the bottom and then move about slowly north then back to the middle, then east, then back to the middle, repeat for south and west. This will help to make you more supple.

You can do power Cleans but if you want to lift big weights you’ll have to full clean, so why not full clean now and do some Jerks? This will help you out and you can get better technique as you go along.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Dr.PowerClean wrote:

Hi man,

Good to hear from you!

I remember dude :slight_smile:

You will do very well in the Master’s mate. How about contacting a local college or football team? Or a CrossFit place? They should at least have the basics down and have some people lifting in the gym so that’ll provide good motivation.

OHS is a must. DO them so that you stay at the bottom for 5seconds (if your wrists don’t scream at you, or wrap them up, don’t go heavy, just the bar) hold for 5seconds but stay tight under it. Your positions will get stronger and your flexibility will improve. Do this for 5seconds x 4-5sets or so.

You can do an OHS but stay at the bottom and then move about slowly north then back to the middle, then east, then back to the middle, repeat for south and west. This will help to make you more supple.

You can do power Cleans but if you want to lift big weights you’ll have to full clean, so why not full clean now and do some Jerks? This will help you out and you can get better technique as you go along.

Koing[/quote]
See already in one post from you I get more than I get chatting with the old farts (OTHER old farts). My right wrist DOES kill me doing OHS with weight. I can do a collar to collar grip because I’m 6-4 but I dont know if that’s easier or harder on the wrists.
I live in a small town (Sebastian, Florida) but there is a high school in the area where the coach is apparently an OL coach. Its a private school but he might take me on if I go in there and powerclean 130kg (I’m still stuck there at that weight.)
My powerlifting has made me stronger, including getting my back squat up to about 175kg. But it has definitely hurt my already poor flexibility, especially in the shoulders (the price tag for big pecs). I have so much work to do…I cant front squat and keep my hands on the bar right now. It sounds like I’m bragging but 19.5 inch arms get in the way also. But the wrists…my wrist flexibility is poor also…know anything good for this other than just pushing against a wall (which I am doing).
I will get to squat cleaning as soon as I can do them! Doc

The wider your grip is the more strain there is on the wrist due to the angle your wrists are relative to the bar. Wear straps if you have to or make your grip a tiny bit close, it makes a big difference. I am literally easing out my grip 1mm at a time to edge it out further.

Yeah speak to the guy. If he is a decent guy he’ll take you on. The sport is very small and I’m sure he’d love to train/ train with a guy that is in to it and that can PC 130kg!

Get some weight on a bar, stand front of it in a front squat. One elbow goes up the other goes down, repeat x 20x. Keep your body close to the bar and DON’T TURN YOUR BODY to get the elbow up. This will ease it in to position and loosen up the wrists. Just have to keep at it and work on it.

Arm windmills are great. Go slow and go faster when you feel more warmed up. Make sure your arms are straight and that they BRUSH YOUR EARS so you do a full ROM.

We have this new Rugby guy at the gym, savagely inflexible but now he can OHS and squat much more upright but he still has a distance to go. But he is making progress :slight_smile:

Rush slowly as my Gymnastics coach says :slight_smile:

Koing

Good to see u back Dr. Powerclean.

There are 14 registered weightlifting clubs in Florida, maybe more that have platforms and decent coaching. (MD has 2 registered clubs, but I know there are 6 additional places in the MD/DC)

-click on “CURRENTLY REGISTERED CLUBS”, it will open an exel doc with all the clubs, #'s and emails in all the 50 states.

Hi Neospartan, thanks for the info.
I had my second day of renewed serious training today. After another half an hour of stretching, including those bar wrap-arounds you described Koing, I was able to do front squats. (sort of, I still had to put my heels on a half inch board. I was able to do seven sets including 3x3x100kg and 2.6x122 (couldnt keep my fingers on the bar and it slipped right off my chest). I then did clean pulls (right above waist level and with full extension on toes…correct?) seven sets including 3x120, 3x130, 3x140, 3x150, 3x162.5.

This doesnt seem like a big workout but for me I was absolutely, 100% spent. We will see how well I can get into condition, right now I feel quite old. But happy.
I guess I should start a log thread...something like "Old Man's Final Fling" :)

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Hi Neospartan, thanks for the info.
I had my second day of renewed serious training today. After another half an hour of stretching, including those bar wrap-arounds you described Koing, I was able to do front squats. (sort of, I still had to put my heels on a half inch board. I was able to do seven sets including 3x3x100kg and 2.6x122 (couldnt keep my fingers on the bar and it slipped right off my chest). I then did clean pulls (right above waist level and with full extension on toes…correct?) seven sets including 3x120, 3x130, 3x140, 3x150, 3x162.5.

This doesnt seem like a big workout but for me I was absolutely, 100% spent. We will see how well I can get into condition, right now I feel quite old. But happy.
I guess I should start a log thread...something like "Old Man's Final Fling" :)[/quote]

You have some clubs to check out :), cheers Neo!

The stretches will really help you out a lot.

The board thing is fine, your positions will only get better and if your wearing weightlifting shoes you would have that extra inch anyway. Solid training! The more front squats you do the easier they’ll become. Remember you don’t have to GRIP THE BAR FOR DEAR LIFE, only your fingers tips have to be there and as long as your elbows are UP the bar will not roll down.

Koing