Older Yet Evidently Not any Wiser

So your 45? Well you can still be stupid strong if you want. Welcome aboard but the kilos seriously have to go, don’t you know everything revolves around Americans?

Soon Kimba and nlmain will show up and ask you for a bicep pics. Just do it, trust me.

Your around the same size as me, Git, and Solodog so maybe we can get some friendly competitiveness going.

I think I have those knee sleeves but I got the XXL’s and I can wear them all the time. I didn’t want assistance from them as much as I wanted to keep my knee from flying accross the gym.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Don’t think that just because you’re starting in your 40’s that you’re limited. I started at 42 and am doing okay.

[/quote]

I’d say she’s more than “okay.”

Kilos are cool.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
I’ve never tried lifting a seriously. Welcome, do them like this, 45’, 140’, 48’, 28’, 105’ 83’, 505, 16’, 405, one o’clock, 540, 330, really mess 'em up. Forget stupid strong and go straight to ugly strong like JW. [/quote]

I think I can explain. To me this looks like
45’ shot
140’ discus
48’ LWFD
28’ HWFD
105’ Light Hammer
83’ Heavy Hammer
505 Squat
16’ Weight over bar
405 Bench
One o’clock caber
540 dead lift
330 power clean.

But to screw up the units more, I would have put the shot and discus in meters, and O-lift variants really should be in kgs.

Sillyness aside, welcome to the monkey house, ag918w35.

Welcome Bro! Just keep it simple, Lift heavy stuff until you can’t, rest, then do it again.

Mr Darby is dead on accurate as to what my numbers mean. (He’s kinda a math geek, does sudoku in between lifts). Sorry, I was playing off Meats squat-bench-dead sequence to point out that not all of us here are powerlifters or in the cult of 5/3/1. Obviously I was way to obtuse. You should see MJ’s normal greeting. We don’t haze here, though maybe we should have in Ms Snaps case.
So, being sober and of reasonably sound mind; welcome to the Over 35 Lifters Forum.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
We don’t haze here, though maybe we should have in Ms Snaps case.
[/quote]

Are you saying you don’t want me in the club?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]hel320 wrote:
We don’t haze here, though maybe we should have in Ms Snaps case.
[/quote]

Are you saying you don’t want me in the club?[/quote]
No, I’m not. You bring a touch of much needed class. You can come up to the tree house anytime you want. We’ll even compare skirts, I mean kilts.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Mr Darby is dead on accurate as to what my numbers mean. (He’s kinda a math geek, does sudoku in between lifts). Sorry, I was playing off Meats squat-bench-dead sequence to point out that not all of us here are powerlifters or in the cult of 5/3/1. Obviously I was way to obtuse. You should see MJ’s normal greeting. We don’t haze here, though maybe we should have in Ms Snaps case.
So, being sober and of reasonably sound mind; welcome to the Over 35 Lifters Forum. [/quote]

W-w-what?!? There are strength sports other than powerlifting, and programs other than 5/3/1? Apparently I have quite a lot to learn :wink:

And now we return to our regularly scheduled program - lifting!

10/22/2010: Overhead press

Warmups: 20x5, 25x5, 30x3
Work: 35x3, 40x3, 45x3+ (made 3, failed on the 4th)
BBB: 25x10x5

I still hate this exercise! However, this is also the first time in my life that I’ve had noticeable delts, so I guess I’ll have to keep them in the program. Besides, I’d hate to go against the wishes of St. Wendler…

I’m still barely making the minimums here, and even the assistance work requires that I rest for a few minutes between the last 3 sets. However, I guess I’m not going to get stronger by lifting lighter weights, so I’m determined to suck it up and lift.

I do think that for the next cycle I’m going to change how much I go up on the lift. I’m currently advancing by 2.5kg/cycle, and rounding the weights to that number, but since I have a pair of micro-plates that are roughly 5/8kg each I should be able to go in increments of just 1.25kg, and thus hopefully make smaller steps.

I cannot fathom the strength of those of you who are pressing 250lbs, even with a little leg assist.

Welcome, welcome! You definitely have done well for yourself this past year. And you most certainly can still get stupid strong, as you pointed out Mr. Soldog is a prefect example.

I also do 5/3/1 and am using weights comparable to what you use. I find increasing the weight less than the prescribed ~2.25kg and ~4.5kg helpful. I have 1/2kg plates that allow me to adjust the weight in increments of 1kg. With increases of 1.5kg in MP, 2kg in Bench, 3kg in squat and 4kg in deadlifts, things are holding pretty steady from one cycle to the next.

All the cool people leave open the possibility of increasing the weight by micro amounts. I, for example, own 1/4-lb. plates. Not kidding.

Video uploading is tedious: going to try this again.

OK, after much pain I seem to have gotten the video posted for today’s workout.

10/24/2010: Deadlifts

Warmup: 60x5, 75x5, 90x3
Work: 100x3, 115x3, 130x3+ (made 6, which is a +3 Rep PR at this weight)
BBB Assistance: 65x10x5

Felt like a good workout today. I often lift in the evenings, and I think that when I’m able to lift midday I have a little more energy. Either that or being able to blast Rob Halford and the rest of the lads from Judas Priest added some encouragement.

Very good. Think about getting your feet in closer and weight on your heels. Looks like butts coming up too fast. Strong back.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
All the cool people leave open the possibility of increasing the weight by micro amounts. I, for example, own 1/4-lb. plates. Not kidding.[/quote]

Me too.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
All the cool people leave open the possibility of increasing the weight by micro amounts. I, for example, own 1/4-lb. plates. Not kidding.[/quote]

Me too.[/quote]

I’ve never really been one of the cool people. If I knew that the main reason was that I didn’t have any 1/4lb plates, I would have gotten some sooner.

You’ve convinced me to go with the Platemate small weights for my military press; I’ll see how well that works out for me and will report back.

[quote]ag918w35 wrote:

I’ve never really been one of the cool people. If I knew that the main reason was that I didn’t have any 1/4lb plates, I would have gotten some sooner.

[/quote]

It’s never too late to get microplates.

Those blue shoes are awesome cool!

Suppose I could start wearing the Blue Suede Chucks to the office?!?

I was planning to get to bench last night, but between my upper back being sore from the dead-lifting and my wife wanting a little company it didn’t happen. I’ll get on it tonight and will see if I can get some video. My cage is in a much more constrained area and it’s tough to find a place to put the camera.

10-26-2010: Bench press

Warmup: 32.5x5, 40x5, 47.5x3
Work: 50x3, 65x3, 72.5x3+ (made 6, +1 Rep PR at this weight)
BBB Assist: 47.5x10x5
Bent-over barbell row: 40x10x4 (working my way up to 5 sets of this)

Good workout, although I was shot at the end of the assistance effort.