T Nation

Older Guys with Osteoporosis Using TRT?

I try to keep fit and care for myself. But, I am not like most guys here. I am well into my 60’s and certainly not a gym rat.

However, I do have few questions for those of a ‘certain age’.

I will not bore you with the details. Suffice to say that a few months ago while getting ready for some orthopedic surgery, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Where the heck did that come from? As part of the treatment, my doctor gave me a script for a bone enhancing drug Fosomax, advised me to increase my consumption of calcium, Vit D and magnesium and do more weight bearing exercises.

He and I were also curious why I developed this problem, so he did a test. Alas, Low-T raised its ugly head. My total T was 1/2 that of the minimum amount. Worse, my free T was 1/3 the minimum amount. Lousy even for an old guy like me. It seems that Low T is a big reason men get thin bones.

So, now I inject once a week 80mg a week of T subcutaneous.

What I want to know if other guys suffering from osteoporosis have had luck stopping and reversing the problem using T. Other than this crummy disease, I am in pretty good health.

I think you are on the right path.

“Testosterone treatment for 1 year of older men with low testosterone significantly increased vBMD and estimated bone strength, more in trabecular than peripheral bone and more in the spine than hip”

Thanks NH. That was a very helpful discussion.

I stopped TRT in April and was off TRT for 5 months, in that time I started having bone pain just like pre-TRT when lying in bed. Now that I’m back on TRT I expect the bone pain to disappear rather quickly.

I had been battling low potassium before hopping off TRT, if potassium drops, magnesium will pull calcium out of your bones and teeth.

I do not have osteoporosis. I in fact have retarded bone density. This is in spite of low T and hyperparathyroid hyperplasia. Certainly part of that is genetics, but I would credit most of it to having done heavy weight bearing exercise from a young age in addition to having worked very tough physical work on and off over the years (Masonry and concrete work). Fosomax and calcium won’t hurt, but the key is weight bearing exercise. Go to the gym, do squats and or deadlifts. It will make a world of difference for you.

1 Like