Older Guy's Routine

What are some of you older guys (+50) working on in the gym? I’m interested to compared them to mine. Currently doing a modified Madcow 5x5. The only change I made is I do not squat on the day I deadlift. I’ve been doing it for a couple of months with some pretty good progress on the squats, deads and rows. Bench is stuck.

I tried to keep the bench and row at the same weight but the bench cannot keep up. I might try adding a couple of more sets to the bench. Maybe drop down 10-20% from the top working weight.

Comments?

Got in the gym today and did some deads. Worked up to one heavy set of 5 reps at 385. Felt like I could have gotten a couple more but decided to keep them in the tank. This 5x5 thing is working for deads so I don’t want to vary from it right now.

Hi. I don’t know your rationale for trying to use the same weight for your rows and bench. Your goals should be different for these two movements.

My two cents…your deadlift is going well and progressing because your rows are doing well and progressing. The two movements compliment each other. What are you doing to compliment your bench? If your answer is “nothing” I suggest you start working another press movement to help out your bench.

Thank you for your response. The problem I have right now is my left rotator cuff is hurting. I can bench but I cannot overhead press. Even my bench is a semi close grip … about 20 to 24 inches between my index fingers. Any wider than that and it hurts like heck. I could do very close grip seated overhead dumbbell presses which I’ve tried and it doesn’t hurt my left shoulder but I don’t know if that movement will help my bench as much as doing more benches with a different rep count and/or lighter weight. My last bench session I simply did 3 sets trying to increase the reps with the same weight. I’ve always been a weak bencher and at this stage of my lifting life I don’t know if I can improve on it.

Given the impossibility of retracting your scapula on a flat bench, the best soplution is to pack your shoulders (down and back), which I presume you are doing. This still sucks compared to allowing full scapular movement (yes, on a pressing movement)!. I gave up flat benching in favour of weighted ring push-ups with full sapular retraction and protraction, and all of sudden, I could push without pain in my left shoulder!!! Also, you mentioned that overhead dumbbell presses are better…maybe dumbbells help? Have you tried dumbell bench presses? For me, these are moderately better than barbell bench presses, but still not as good as the rings!

[quote]ac808 wrote:
Thank you for your response. The problem I have right now is my left rotator cuff is hurting. I can bench but I cannot overhead press. Even my bench is a semi close grip … about 20 to 24 inches between my index fingers. Any wider than that and it hurts like heck. I could do very close grip seated overhead dumbbell presses which I’ve tried and it doesn’t hurt my left shoulder but I don’t know if that movement will help my bench as much as doing more benches with a different rep count and/or lighter weight. My last bench session I simply did 3 sets trying to increase the reps with the same weight. I’ve always been a weak bencher and at this stage of my lifting life I don’t know if I can improve on it.[/quote]