Older Athletes

Hey there, are there any women out there that are over 40, even closer to 50 that are still competing in BB, figure, powerlifting, etc, etc. Would love to hear how you train, deal with injuries, etc. Would very much love to start dialogue with some older powerful women.

Hey Black kitty , several of us log in the over 35 forum. I’m 49, a competitive powerlifter. Rehabbing a reattached biceps now, just waiting for the doc to give me the ok to start lifting again.

I’m 46 still competing at powerlifting and have a meet coming in a week and a half.

Awesome, I was hoping to get pretty much the female point of view and thought powerful women would be the place to post, I will check out the over 35 forum.
lil power sorry about your injury, I am just coming back from a discectomy, ruptured 2 discs and I am 10 months post surgery, can’t life quite the same so it has been interseting trying new ways to build legs and back without squating and deads, etc.

There’s quite a few of us over 40s who post in this forum, too. I’m 44 and have been lifting around 25 years. I’ve never actually torn a muscle but I’ve injured pretty much every body part going and am constantly working around a bum rotator cuff (first injured 20 years ago), crackling knees and piriformis syndrome, among other things. Latest thing was injuring a foot doing hill sprints.

Dealing with injuries is part and parcel of training and (as I’m sure you’ve found), they tend to add up as you get older. I like to lift heavy (by my own standards - I’m no powerlifter) but have to back off from training a particular body part every so often. I also run but have had to find other ways to get my sweat on since the foot injury so I’m doing a few spin classes, circuits and occassional swimming (which I dislike, to be honest).

I also supplement with fish oils and cut out wheat and other gluten grains because I find they increase inflammation in my joints. I’ve tried other supplements such as glucosamine but haven’t found they make much difference.

Good luck and hope you start a log here soon.

Hey Kitty - glad to have you around, how did you get injured?

Hey Cal, and Frenchie(my Quebec friend),

Nice to hear from you both. I have been lifting for years too Cal, played ice hockey for years, college, women’s travel teams, Nationals etc etc, so always lifted heavy with power and explosiveness in mind, lots of running etc, have always been pretty small, weighing around 120 pounds in College to about 130 now and my problem is I was always super strong, my doc said it was my downfall. Hockey is brutal on your back and knees which I found out early on, hurt my back when I was 19 the first time, knee surgery at 26, back surgery at 47, countless shoulder seperations, broken fingers, feet, hands and a leg or 2, ugh.
I was prepping for a BB comp when I ruptured 3 discs in my back, had a discectomy last October 22nd, my back is 85% good, 85% of the time. I have since switched to doing figure, I may even try to build enough size to go to Physic but the way I lift has changed so much, but I have gotten most of my strength back which kind of scares me cause I am not too smart when it comes to slowing down.
I have developed a new way of doing legs and back, no more deads or squatting right now, so to build legs it is a lot of single leg stuff, sommersault squats(brutal), I am constantly looking for training for people that have back issues.
My back was just tired and broken and like I said I just would train through the pain until one day I heard a pop, knew it was going to be bad, which it was, anyway, it is just great to see other women, young and older who are out there doing it, we all rock, and the boys know it. Keep on Keepin on ladies!

Hey Cal, and Frenchie(my Quebec friend),

Nice to hear from you both. I have been lifting for years too Cal, played ice hockey for years, college, women’s travel teams, Nationals etc etc, so always lifted heavy with power and explosiveness in mind, lots of running etc, have always been pretty small, weighing around 120 pounds in College to about 130 now and my problem is I was always super strong, my doc said it was my downfall. Hockey is brutal on your back and knees which I found out early on, hurt my back when I was 19 the first time, knee surgery at 26, back surgery at 47, countless shoulder seperations, broken fingers, feet, hands and a leg or 2, ugh.
I was prepping for a BB comp when I ruptured 3 discs in my back, had a discectomy last October 22nd, my back is 85% good, 85% of the time. I have since switched to doing figure, I may even try to build enough size to go to Physic but the way I lift has changed so much, but I have gotten most of my strength back which kind of scares me cause I am not too smart when it comes to slowing down.
I have developed a new way of doing legs and back, no more deads or squatting right now, so to build legs it is a lot of single leg stuff, sommersault squats(brutal), I am constantly looking for training for people that have back issues.
My back was just tired and broken and like I said I just would train through the pain until one day I heard a pop, knew it was going to be bad, which it was, anyway, it is just great to see other women, young and older who are out there doing it, we all rock, and the boys know it. Keep on Keepin on ladies!

Check out Taminator’s log - she’s in her 50s and has run the injury gauntlet.

What are sommersault squats?

damn - 3 discs, sounds brutal. A lot of logs here have been about injury and come backs. keep fighting.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Check out Taminator’s log - she’s in her 50s and has run the injury gauntlet.

What are sommersault squats?[/quote]

Cal, I can’t really explain sommersault squats, Youtube them, they are brutal.

[quote]nlmain wrote:
damn - 3 discs, sounds brutal. A lot of logs here have been about injury and come backs. keep fighting.[/quote]

Yep, I have the tens machine on my back now as I type, ice, advil, tens, heat, stretching and more stretching has so far kept me lifting.
The pain was the most intense I have ever felt, and it never went away, 24hrs 7 days a week, worse than giving birth, for real. Pain meds didn’t even touch it, but as soon as I woke from the surgery, the pain was gone. I wanted to kiss my doctors ass, lol.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I’m 46 still competing at powerlifting and have a meet coming in a week and a half.[/quote]

How did your meet go?

Ouro has a log in the 35+ section with the details of her meet if you are interested…

Ooh those somersault squats look interesting. I may give 'em a try at some point.