Bulldog: Rebuilding the Old Dog

Rules or no rules, I like the sound of it. Iā€™m doing 10-12 sets of 2 and working off pins/blocks myself.

It sounds like youā€™ll stay in the ā€œGain Zoneā€ and all the reps will be smooth and powerful.

1 Like

The whole reason for the blocks is because I am one of those guys, whom prescribes to the notion the less structurally suited for a movement you are the bigger the negative impact it can have on you. Heck on 4 inch blocks I still have a slight leverage disadvantage compared to the bigger pullers on here. Im also slightly re adopting
a few old principles from Louie Simmons regarding pulling.

I honestly have always question rep work for deadsā€¦ at least for myself

I should have said singles, not reps.

Iā€™m a total Louie/Bill Starr fan. I love not Deadlifting to get better at Deadlifting.

I was just making a general statement ā€¦

Yeah Im a big Starr fan also I have his book only the Strong Survive. Amazing how many guys are marketing 5x5 programs online now which are pale imitations .

Louieā€¦ehh I agree with allot on certain things . On other things not so muchā€¦ interesting note a guy im friends with actually spent some time at Westside training. So I get to hear pearls of wisdom Louie gave him when ever I train at his place.

At the moment its funny because at the moment Im going on instinct and the funny thing is Im training each of the big 3 slightly different in regards to volume intensity along with rep and set schemes.

Some basic dynamic warm up

Standing OHP (swiss bar) : 3 x 5 @ 135 did 8 on last set. Slowly getting the feel for these.

Close grip Foam roller Bench: 20/3 @ 275 TR 27ā€¦ For clarification the Roller was on my CHEST I prefer these over using boards. Decided to go this route to give the shoulders a break along with targeting the Triceps more while limiting pec involvement.

Reverse Grip pull downs: 35/3@SW TR 35ā€¦ Added these in at the last moment to up the total work volume for the upper back through the week,

Bulldozer Laterals : 2 x 15 @ SW
EZ bar Curls : 25 x 3 @ SW Tr 29
Standing alternate DB curls : 25/2 @ SW TR 20

UGHā€¦Was off work today. So I lifted earlier than normal took a little bit to get motivated today.

2 Likes

How do you like doing the OHP with the swiss bar?

Its okā€¦ its better on my old shoulders with the neutral grip. Just have to get use to the difference since the mechanics are way different from a standard bar.

1 Like

Was in the mood to lift this eveningā€¦

Dynamic warm up stuff

Squat: 4 x 2 @ 320
320 x 10 ā€¦had a ton of reps in me remaining ZERO twinge in the glute/hamstring area. Thinking I might have been correct on what the underlying cause was. Only second week with the higher bar with the more narrow stanceā€¦ Starting to click

SSBAR Front squats : 3 x 3 @ 70% .ā€¦NO CLUE what my 1 RM is on these at this moment so I estimated which probably on the light side.

Barbell Calve raises: 5 x 10 @ SW
Seated Band Hamstring Curls: 50 /30 TR 57
Standing band crunches: 5 x 10

1 Like

Took the boys and a friend of theirs to the Indy Comic Con this past Saturday

1 Like

The collegian has guns.

1 Like

Dynamic warm up

Bench: worked up to top set of 340 x 7ā€¦1 over cap

Sling shot sets: 375 x 3ā€¦ felt heavy
395 x 3ā€¦ felt heavy unracking it was having trouble keeping it in the groove.
Now a guy with my experience would have abandon any pre planned numbers he had in mind and called itā€¦.IF HE WAS SMART!!
415 x 0ā€¦go figure
Should have listenā€¦ my body did not want to move heavy weight today. DAMN EGO.
Looking over my log it appears I have been going some what Heavy for awhile without any type of break or deload. Looks like it might be catching up with me on bench. ALSO its a pain in the ass on these not having any type of lift off.

Incline Swiss Bar Press: 30/3 X 195 TR 36 ā€¦this sucked was feeling tired
Lying Swiss Bar Tri extensions : 35/3 X 90 TR 36
Band pull aparts: 4 x 35 ā€¦done between warm up sets on bench
Planks: 3 x some time

EHH ā€¦Not a total shit session , But it was not great either slightly just below punching the clock type of session.

2 Likes

Undoubtedly big enough gonads at work here to attempt 415, and youā€™re complaining. It happens.

You miss understandā€¦ it isnā€™t that I didnā€™t get it. i knew i was having a off day and did not listen to what my body was telling me. Yet I was stupid enough to try it.

I wouldnā€™t sweat it, we all do it. Sometimes the body says no and we say yes and it actually works out OK, other times not so much.

1 Like

@FlatsFarmer

It would seem my new Deadlift approach has already been thought of. So much for being original LOL

If multiple people are inventing it, it must be good.

1 Like

Well looks like someone has already worked out some of the bugs out of it.

Somebody else already did the hard work, now you just copy and reap the rewards? Sounds like me in high school!

1 Like