Bulldog: Rebuilding the Old Dog

Going to play with a different rep scheme on squats for awhile. Slightly more work volume… allot of sets using a lower rep range but sticking pretty much with the same intensity level on the sets,

Also cleaning up the eating… eliminating sugar , along with bread and pasta. Not going really low carb …just lowering them slightly and changing up the sources I get them from .

2 Likes

Hamster wheel: 7 minute
Dynamic warm up

Squat: 15 x 2 @ 55%… not a type O 15 sets

Not going to go fully into the new rep scheme for another 2 weeks … slowly easing into it. ,honestly it wasnt demanding at all.

Catching up again. Saw some nice benching a few days back. Also gotta say anyone benches a 405x4 with a sling shot or not has been in the game long enough to come up with their own plan. I keep seeing new systems but it all comes down to, lift, ain’t heavy no more, add weight or add reps. Do main lifts, add extras.

1 Like

You like Alan Roberts? I think he’s pretty articulate and uses gutter language for effect.

Which is very true in my case…I think it boils down that subconsciously that I am avoiding taking full responsibility regarding my training.

Yep…ok I admit maybe that the gutter language too some is slightly off putting. Luckily, since I am low brow it doesn’t bug me much. Besides I have been known to spew a a river of profanity when I am truly pissed.You can ask my two sons…:blush:

1 Like

Some Dynamic warm up

Bench: Bunch of warm up sets
working sets:
260 x 3
295 x 3
335 x 6…hit my cap, more in the tank
365 x 3 (sling shot set)
380 x 3. (sling shot)
405 x 3 (sling shot) …good enough. Probably could have bumped it up another 15lbs BUT didn’t feel it would have been a smart move.
Drop set: 260 x 10 … reps still in tank NO SLING SHOT

Standing OHP Swiss bar: 3 x 8 @ SW …actually this isnt accurate , trying a different rep approach I stole from someone. completed 24 total reps in 3 sets at the given weight. I will explain the approach latter if anyone is interested.

Lying Swiss Bat Tri extensions: 2 sets for total total of 20 reps @ SW
Curls: 20/2 @ SW
Band Pull aparts : 4 x 30 (doggie style)

Ok, regarding the Sling Shot… Well I have decided to integrate it into my Bench training. But to avoid over doing it and Burning myself out I plan on rotating it every other week along with my intensity and volume.

1 Like

Well Good Lord, I wish you would have done some work today…:grimacing:

So, the game plan (attempts ect.) are in place for this weekend??

Best of luck to you both :slight_smile: We’ll look forward to the report.
Z

EDIT: I’ve been using a Slingshot about once a week lately; figuring out how/if to continue, 7 weeks out. It’s easy to like IMO.
I’ll be curious to see how you program it in.

I Know I am a slacker… :cry:

Depending on how his second attempts look will decide what I will have him gun for.
Squat: 415 or 425
Bench : 295 or 305
Deadlift 515 or 530
At the moment all the lower numbers are what I have conservatively planned for again all based off his 2nd attempts …if they are smoke shows than we go for the higher number.

Ill write more about it latter…

Deadlift: 4 manageable easy singles.
Hmm…lesson my toe angle slightly notice a improvement in pulling

RDL:: 16/2 @ SW …really liking the new rep approach. on some assistance of my assistance work

Bent rows: 5 x 8 @ SW

Power shrugs: up to a doable 5 rep top set

in T-14 hours for the Bullpup

1 Like

Meet write up coming…

Video for those interested…

3 Likes

Hell yeah!!! Congratulations to both of you!

1 Like

Awesome work, to both of you !!

1 Like

just caught up

First good work at the meet.
really good job.
Next- you should humble brag on your kids- they are good kids
shows alot about what work you two do at home for them

as for programming- I know enough - but need to follow a program or I will drift along and do what I like.

You on the other hand- know what works for you
and should do it.

1 Like

which i am…lets be honest it isn’t rocket science in all reality.

NASA State Meet 2017
Well it started out with a Fucking bang did not sleep well at all since i was so stressed out on my end as Dakotas coach. Woke up at 3:00 a.m. oh joy, this made for a VERY long day on its own.
We headed out at 6:30 for the hour and a half trip up north from where we live. Things started great when we got there! I found out that they did not received the entry form that I had mailed them a few weeks ago. Oh for the love of God ! Ended up having to scrounge up a additional $65 bucks since I tend not to carry much cash on me since I tend to use a Debit card 99% of the time anymore. Needless to say between not sleeping well along being stressed out and being jacked up on caffeine, I was one step away from having a slight melt down…True Story.

Well…Got him weighed in @ 191 left and got Breakfast… decided to skip the lifter meeting which was a MAJOR mistake on my part!! Because, If I had attended I would have known that they had, out of the blue had double the normal amount of lifters for this meet. Apparently they had slightly over a hundred lifters entered!! I have a feeling a majority of which where day of entries and the crew doing it wasn’t prepared for it,
The fact that I wasn’t aware of the true numbers until about a hour into the meet. I ended up misjudging the timing on warming up Dakota on his first squat attempt…can you say DUMB ASS??

Ok, the Meet started Damn near on time at 10:00 am Dakota didnt take his first actual attempt until slightly after Noon so slightly over two hours in . Had to rewarm him up on the fly due to my total screw up on the timing on my part.

Squats: Attempt 1
352 …Easy, as it should been since I believe into not being stupid on first attempts . I tend to stay around 85% give or take on these . Since I feel too many guys taking way too Heavy first attempts.
Dakota and myself sorta gotten into it regarding his depth again…Hes still going super low even with the change in his stance I had done . Tried telling him cut them high which for him still would be low. Isn’t like hes going to get extra points for doing so. At the completion of this lift the side judge commented to me that there was no questioning Dakotas depth. Yeah…thanks ugh wasn’t news to me.

attempt 2: 385

attempt 3 : 419 meet PR ,I gave Dakota the option of picking his attempt on this one. I just gave him some input on what I thought he might be good for in a certain range.
He somehow tweaked his upper mid back slightly doing this attempt. A guy I knew was coaching some other lifters gave me a hand on working the tightness out of it.

Bench 1st attempt 253 …The spot in his back started cramping on his attempt

2nd: 275 Meet PR … he had hit this in peaking for the Meet no problem

3rd: 297 nope… Considering the numbers he was hitting in training he should have gotten this. Feel the slight back tweak played a roll. . I still need to put more lean meat on his arms a chest which should help along with using some leg drive, which he doesnt…The 300 mark is really pissing him off …

As I mentioned this was a big state meet …Dakota didn’t have his first Dead attempt Until 5:15 in the afternoon because of the huge numbers of bench only guys. Which allowed his upper back to relax and clear up slightly.

Deads: 1 st 440 easy

2nd : 485 PR easy , it tied the state record for the class in the Fed

3rd : 507 PR easy …Dakota wanted to go another 20 lbs heavier . Which in retrospect he probably had in him. BUT , I talked him into Being more conservative. I figured he could kill two birds with one stone. First bust through the to over 500 and establish a record.

All in all Dakota ended up with a 1201 total which is 101 pound improvement from the August meet. I honestly cant tell you where he placed. Because, the meet was still going on at 7:45 in the evening.Dakota even was over it… He commented he was ready to go,saying he could care less about any award. Basically he cared less about collecting a trophy that would just sit and collect dust.All he cared about was that he had hit most of his goals.

4 Likes

If there was ever a time for you to explode with proudness, this is it. Congratulations to both your son and to you. I hope he stays with it throughout his life.

1 Like