Old-Time Strongman Grip Training

I hear stories all the time about how old-time strongmen had rediculous hand and grip strength. Anyone know how they developed it?

I’m asking because my grip is my weak-point when snatching and cleaning. I’ve been doing farmers walks, and that helps some, but these guys had freaky strength.

Ideas?

hook grip it baby

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=8

Captain of crush, strongman love it.

Heh silly, but he really does like Captain of Crush

Also that guy is like one of 5 people in the world ever to close level 4, yeah strongman have freakish grips.

Lift heavy shit.

Do thick bar deadlifts, rows, cleans, high pulls, etc.

[quote]Steve-O-68 wrote:
Lift heavy shit. [/quote]

Yes in the olden days strongmen lifted dinasaur shit.

Kroc Rows are awesome.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I hear stories all the time about how old-time strongmen had rediculous hand and grip strength. Anyone know how they developed it?

I’m asking because my grip is my weak-point when snatching and cleaning. I’ve been doing farmers walks, and that helps some, but these guys had freaky strength.

Ideas?[/quote]

They had better grip than a lot of people today but not greater than current strongmen etc… and a lot of the things they did were parlor tricks, like ripping decks of cards etc… these are difficult, but seem more difficult than they are. But they DID have strong grip.

Go to www.ironmind.com

Look at all the grip stuff. Mastery of Hand strength book is a good one to start.

Best devices are an ironwoody gripper thing, some metolius climbing holds www.metolius.com and also, pvc pipe.

Get pvc pipe, put over your adjustable dumbells, you instantly got thick handled dumbells. You can load them real heavy and hold them.

Grip is complex, there are many aspects to train.

[quote]Plim wrote:
Steve-O-68 wrote:
Lift heavy shit.

Yes in the olden days strongmen lifted dinasaur shit.

[/quote]

haha

try a powerball

http://www.powerball-gyros.com/powerballs.htm?gclid=CPGfp7zg848CFSheEgodfyChNQ

helped my grip quite a lot and its so competetive you just cant put it down