Old Time Strongman Feats Training

Hi CT,

I am fascinated by old time strongman training feats of strength they displayed and recently saw your forum entry from some time ago about including 1/2 days a week of it into your training.

My question is; how would you go about structuring such a workout that would contain front levers, bent presses, planches, rope climbs and 1 arm deadlifts/snatches. Would the goal to be to train each lift submaximally for multiple sets. e.g. 5x1 on lifts, 10-15 second holds on lever and planche variations and controlled higher rep/time sets on the rope climbs?

Many thanks in advance

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

I am fascinated by old time strongman training feats of strength they displayed and recently saw your forum entry from some time ago about including 1/2 days a week of it into your training.

My question is; how would you go about structuring such a workout that would contain front levers, bent presses, planches, rope climbs and 1 arm deadlifts/snatches. Would the goal to be to train each lift submaximally for multiple sets. e.g. 5x1 on lifts, 10-15 second holds on lever and planche variations and controlled higher rep/time sets on the rope climbs?

Many thanks in advance[/quote]

Strongmen PRACTICED they didn’t TRAIN. Their show lifts are feats, demonstrations that must be practiced, skills that need to be mastered. I don’t like to go with sets/reps/time. if you go to the driving range you don’t go there to hit 13 pitching wedges, 17 7 irons, 12 5 irons, etc. You go there to practice your swing. Same thing with strongmen feats. Go there to practice them. Do not fatigue yourself too much, do not go for max weight or max time. Go for skill development. Pick out the most important movements for you RIGHT NOW and become a master at them… practice them 3-5 times a week each in 30-40 minutes sessions with another 30-40 minutes devoted to building strength on big basic lifts.