T Nation

Old School EAS Supplements

I’m just currious how many people on here were users of the first EAS supplements (not the recent shit, but the original stuff). I’m talking about the $97 bottle of Beta-Gen, the $54 bottle of Phosphagen HP and the $105 box of Myoplex Plus. What about Phospha-Gems, Phosphagain I and II, and the pure creatine that sold for about $100 a bottle?

Man those were the good ol’ days. Looking back, it was lucky for me that I was a broke-ass high school kid and I could’t afford those products. Although evetually I did try Phosphagen and Myoplex while Bill Phillips owned the company (before he sold out and the products’ quality went to shit). One thing I will give them credit for was that the original Myoplex tasted fuckin great.

I guess the real question is…who remembers actually getting stellar results using these products when they were still made by the original cast of EAS?

1 Like

yes, back then they were good. but it’s all changed

Bill Phillips may be a lot of things, but credit where credit is due, he DID create a solid product line and was a marketing genius.

MM2000 turned into fluff, but in its early stages it did contain some worthwhile training articles. Sure they were full of ads and product plugs, but at least most of the products were good (I’m not including HMB here, for the record).

Shawn Phillips wrote a good bench program that I found worthwhile. Incidentally, I met Shawn once in Toronto and he was a HELL of a nice guy…went out of his way to give me training advice AND gave me a bunch of samples. I also remember the first HIIT article they published, and that marginally logical “ABCDE” diet written by some enormous Swede. Anyone remember that? Gorge yourself/starve yourself/repeat…I think was how it went.

1 Like

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Bill Phillips may be a lot of things, but credit where credit is due, he DID create a solid product line and was a marketing genius.

MM2000 turned into fluff, but in its early stages it did contain some worthwhile training articles. Sure they were full of ads and product plugs, but at least most of the products were good (I’m not including HMB here, for the record).

Shawn Phillips wrote a good bench program that I found worthwhile. Incidentally, I met Shawn once in Toronto and he was a HELL of a nice guy…went out of his way to give me training advice AND gave me a bunch of samples. I also remember the first HIIT article they published, and that marginally logical “ABCDE” diet written by some enormous Swede. Anyone remember that? Gorge yourself/starve yourself/repeat…I think was how it went.[/quote]

LOL yes I remember the enormous Swede…his name was Torbjorn Akerfeldt. He and Bill wrote the ABCDE in one of the supplement review books. I tried that diet for a while and it flat out didn’t work. It was fun trying but did not produce desired results.

And I do agree that BP deserves credit (before he turned soft). BAck before the internet became popular I got most of my training and supplement and general diet advice from his articles. The magazine was pretty fuckin cool in the begining.

I also still have my Body of Work video where Bill and Shawn walk around in Las Vegas with their shirts off flexing in front of the public…those mother fuckers actually have very impressive physiques and definitely turned some heads. That video was alright.

I just threw out a huge stack of MM2K mags I had stored in my basement. Those Dan Duchaine articles were classic. And twisted. Good times, good times.

Anyways, I tried a few of their products. The only ones that worked wonders for me were Phosphagen and some kind of ephedra product they had… I think…

Once the Body for Life video came out, it was the beginning of the end. Actually it wasn’t until about two years ago, I was googling MM2K / Bill Phillips to see if they were still in business. Lo and behold, I came across TC and then this website. I almost shat myself. So glad TC was able to “expand” on the MM2K mag and create this awesome monstrosity of a website.

Enough rambling…

I remember EAS breaking some ground back than. Biotest seems the way to go right now.
Nice selection here.

I remember I tried the original PAS (Physique Augmentation System) when it came out. I think you got 2 bottles of Phosphagen, 2 bottles of V2G and a few bottles of GKG.

That was the first time I had ever tried creatine. I loaded up that first week and gained like 7 pounds. I thought it was amazing.

I remember responding pretty well to the V2G, too. That was actually my favorite EAS supplement back in the day.

I remember having someone that my friend knew steal a bottle of HMB (he worked at GNC), because it was like $90/bottle. A HS kid couldn’t afford that.

I actually worked at a GNC when I was in college for a while, right when the Physique augmentation thing was in all the mags. We had this giant cardboard display that held the bottles of VS2, GKG and Phosphagen.

Amazing marketing, and to be honest, at the time, creatine and vanadyl were pretty ‘cutting edge’ compared to the Heavyweight Gainer 900 bottles that most people would come into the store and buy.

I didn’t get to try any of them myself until a year or two later when I was in grad school (they were a little costly). I remember mixing my phosphagen in grape juice and dirnking it down, half expecting to look bigger as soon as I had finished the glass -lol.

The Vanadyl did give me some good pumps (I actualy used the Sportspharma brand, which was a lot cheaper), but the creatine did very little for me. Even nowadays I use a half dose in my PWO shake just hoping it’ll assist recovery a bit.

The real funny thing about those Physique contests, was that you’d see the same ‘winners’ a year or two later in similar ads for another company’s products (It was Spiro Kandeis -I think that was his name- in like 3 or 4 different ads touting the amaing transformation he’d achieved! -lol)

S

I too had quite collection of MM2K mags, which are not sitting in some landfill by now. I think it was a good time for bodybuilding back then. It showcased alot about nutrition, and brought about the idea that steroids were not necessary to achieve a nice muscular physique.

In its own way, it paved the way for this site, also bringing TC here from MM2K. I tried pretty much almost their entire stock of supps, Betagen, Phosphagen, Myoplex, Vanadyl Sulfate, CLA, Creatine, and HMB> I think Bill Phillips went overboard when claiming it felt like he was on Deca.

But marketing is what it is. I know I ranted about alot more than supps, but MM2K offered more than just supps. The same way this site does.

I used to love EAS products when I was first weight training- although that was around '02-03 so I’m not sure that qualifies as old school. I do remember their products going downhill (and changing names) and after trying other brands, I never looked back.

Jesus, I remember the Myoplex and Phosphagen.

Great stuff, and responded well to the creatine. It helped me get over the 200 pound mark. I can’t believe the original price of the Phosphagen, but it was worth it at the time.

The main problem was when you took too much of it.

It would clean your insides out.

I tried their stuff called Catapault and it worked pretty good for me…it tasted like crap and now i cant find it anywhere but on the EAS site…worked just like Power Drive

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
I used to love EAS products when I was first weight training- although that was around '02-03 so I’m not sure that qualifies as old school. I do remember their products going downhill (and changing names) and after trying other brands, I never looked back.[/quote]

By the time '02-'03 came around the supplements were still high quality although the business was sold, but as I remember I think BP still had a financial interest in the company. But yeah the products were still good at this time. I think the quality went to shit about 2004 when EAS was sold again and has downward spiraled into the toilet since.

When I mentioned ‘old school’ I was talking about 1997-1999.

Does anyone remember the EAS Androstiendione? They only made it for a short period of time before it became so ‘bad’. Ironically it was made in 1998, the same year Mark McGuire broke the single season HR record and it was known he used this product (although I don’t know which brand).

Good responses here! It’s nice to talk about the olden days.

I remember that! Actually, it was in BP’s supplement review book that he outlined his plan to stack DHEA, Andro, and Tribulus (for “steroid-like” effects! -lol).

I remember I was living in LA at the time, and me and my fellow gym rats would run down to the shops by venice beach because no one else carried this weird ‘andro’ stuff -lol. I really thought I was finally gonna look like Dorian!

S

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
Does anyone remember the EAS Androstiendione? They only made it for a short period of time before it became so ‘bad’. Ironically it was made in 1998, the same year Mark McGuire broke the single season HR record and it was known he used this product (although I don’t know which brand).
[/quote]

Ha! I actually remember that too. I think I tried it for a while before switching to other brands of Androstiendione and then eventually switching to better supplements in general.

What was their product that was green colored and tasted funky. Was supposed to help with mental clarity.

was that the V2G?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
What was their product that was green colored and tasted funky. Was supposed to help with mental clarity.

was that the V2G?[/quote]

I can’t think of the name of the supplement you are talking about, but it wasn’t V2G. V2G was their vanadyl sulfate supplement. It was white and you could see little blue flakes in the powder.

That green s*** was St. John’s Wort and holy hell did it taste like ass. On top of that, I don’t think it did a damn thing. Nothing that a cup of coffee wouldn’t do, at least.
I did buy the $97.00 container of Betagen. I actually did see results from that. Damn, Bill Phillips must be a billionaire from all that stuff…

nope, wasn’t St Johns Wort. AFAIK EAS never made St Johns wort anyways