T Nation

'Old School' Boxing

Ok so I am a boxer and at the gym we had a discussion about all the great old timers. Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis etc and how they fought. All the pictures I see have them posing in their stance, but with hands down around the midsection. Was this just the style back then, to slug it out with little regard for incoming headshots? Maybe I am just imagining things or the videos I have seen from later rounds. If anyone has any idea wtf im talking about that would be great.

bump

In the bareknuckle era I noticed that boxers kept their hands much lower…I think this was because they didn’t strike to the face as much…it would break their hands. This doesn’t apply to later boxers though, like Louis and Marciano.

As for Rocky, he was more of a brawler than a defensive boxer, so he’d be more likey to keep his hands low.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Ok so I am a boxer and at the gym we had a discussion about all the great old timers. Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis etc and how they fought. All the pictures I see have them posing in their stance, but with hands down around the midsection. Was this just the style back then, to slug it out with little regard for incoming headshots? Maybe I am just imagining things or the videos I have seen from later rounds. If anyone has any idea wtf im talking about that would be great.[/quote]

If they keep their hands up, you can’t see their face, defeating the purpose of posing for a picture.

All fighters do it for pics.

no but what im saying is they threw punches from the hip

[quote]Therizza wrote:
no but what im saying is they threw punches from the hip[/quote]

Some did. Some didn’t. There was different styles back then just as there is today.

Jim Jeffries didn’t- his crouch has his hands up all the time. Marciano didn’t either.

I think it has something to do with line of sight. If you throw a punch from low providing you dont make tell tale signs that your punching you could get the punch off before they realise whats going on. but it doesnt work for everybody only those who practise very hard at mastering body movements and ceing unpredictable