Old School 2. (G1's Log.)

Felt good to pull today, seems like it has been a while. Will work the stiff leg deads for a while. Need to get that mid/upper back/shoulder locked back a bit. Really need someone to give cues while doing a set versus watching vid after. But thats life right now.

I’ll throw out my warm-up template. Keeps me on track for the most part so i don’t neglect an area or overload an area. Generally i would do my stretches at the end but they seem to be helping the movement prep go better so i do them first.

This is meant to be a warm-up not a workout. Can also use many different exercises. Also works good after a foam roll or light warm-up (maybe bike) for a few minutes.

Movement prep circuit(categories), basic exercises 2-3x through
Knee
Glute/ham
chest/shoulder

Power zone 2-3 rounds, again not a workout, just get stuff working
shoulder to knee
Knee to shoulder
Rotational
Static hold

Prehab (lower)
Hip flexor lengthening
Glute ham firing
Ankle mob if needed

Prehab (upper)
Shoulder warm-up or rotator cuff stuff
Shoulder traction with band

Ill be happy if i can get in a quarter of the prep work you do…

I take it your body is back to feeling strong, working with some decent weight there!
Still never forget how Your Dling what was it 4/500 and im like “oh is that a lot?” hahaha

Dang just realized this was your new log G1. Strong squats and pulls.

[quote]Up wrote:
Ill be happy if i can get in a quarter of the prep work you do…

I take it your body is back to feeling strong, working with some decent weight there!
Still never forget how Your Dling what was it 4/500 and im like “oh is that a lot?” hahaha

[/quote]

Takes a minute to get used to but i really think it helps.
Hip is about 90%+, hardly even noticed it in my last squat and dead workouts. Knee swelling is mostly under control…fingers crossed. I really just have to be patient. I am trying to counter balance the light weights with short rests to make workout harder. That will slowly shift as hip/knee get to 100%.
Yea that deadlift day was funny…or you were funny, i guess maybe we both were funny…lol! It is amazing to look at your vids from that session and compare them to now. From the neck down you are completely different, build, technique, etc etc. Really reminds me of how far you have come!

[quote]dday wrote:
Dang just realized this was your new log G1. Strong squats and pulls. [/quote]

Lol thanks. PG is a persistant son of a gun!
Thanks. Getting back. It was nice to get off heavy stuff for a few months even though i kind of had too lol.

Here is a link to a vid on how to set up for the squat (Siouxz Harwig). I think it is definitely worth watching.

Great vid, thanks G.

When you do Oly squat vs. just plain squat, is it just a difference in bar placement, or do you have other form differences as well?

LOL at Up’s “is that a lot” comment about your deadlift!

[quote]punnyguy wrote:
Great vid, thanks G.

When you do Oly squat vs. just plain squat, is it just a difference in bar placement, or do you have other form differences as well?

LOL at Up’s “is that a lot” comment about your deadlift![/quote]

Glad you liked it.
The oly squat is high bar and really narrow stance. I don’t go ATG or let knees go really far over toe, but does seem to work my quads some what.
Ya on dead. One of those had to be there moments…

Tuesday

KB ladder (16kg)

1-6/6-1
Minimal rest between runs of 1’s, 2’s and 3’s. 30 sec rest between the runs of 4’s, 5’s and 6.

Order was
snatch
high pull
clean
squat
clean and press
swing

16kg is getting easier, i need to work in the 20 kg next time.

Below is a link to how Matt Gary uses the priepin chart for powerlifting. I know there has been discussions about the prilepin chart so maybe someone will find it helpful. I had a chance to spend a bit of time talking shop with Gary and he seemed very sharp.

Shoulder warm-up
Shoulder traction
Str arm pec stretch (parallel to floor and high)
Bent arm pec stretch (parallel to floor and high)
Shoulder flexion str
Shoulder ext str
Int rotation str

Combo 90 sec rest
Incline 135/155/165/175 x10
Inc flies 20/4x10 working on rom of pecs

Combo 90 sec rest
Upright row 95/4x10
Db row 80/4x10

Combo 60 sec rest
Lat raise 20/4x10
BB tri ext 85/4x10

Combo 45 sec rest
Db fr raises 25/4x10
Tri pushdown 90/4x10

G, thanks for the squat set-up video. I’ll try cleaning up my own squat set up tonight.

Good to see you logging again!

That video of Prilepens table is perfect.

as are some of the other vids there - like that squat set up video

I Guess I was lucky while in the D1 and post college circuits
the S&C types in retrospect where better then I thought
they preached prelepin and many many other things
that I blew off.

those stiff legs where picture perfect
I like the breakdown of the mobility/activation prep

something I am always gleaning info for

Thanks Kimba and Kev. Really appreciate you guys/gals stopping by.
Kimba that avi is something else.
My thinking on this log is to post lots of info stuff that i have lying around. After 25 years i should have some insight to offer.
BTW Kev, amazing how D1 athletes take that stuff for granted then wish they would have soaked it in afterwards. But by the looks of your training i don’t believe you were one of those guys. I think you soaked in tons.

[quote]Germanone wrote:

My thinking on this log is to post lots of info stuff that i have lying around. After 25 years i should have some insight to offer.
[/quote]

THIS!!!

I had a conversation this morning about using a box to learn to squat deeper. This is how i have used it successfully and maybe it will help some of you develop ideas of your own. Squatting to a box has been around for a long time. I first started using a box (crate) in 1979. And it was around long before that. Also this is completely different that box squats.

Get correct box height. Use a mirror, sit on box and make sure it is the depth you like.
Sit on box (no bar) keep body in same position as you would in a squat (back angle, head, chest, etc) At the same time relax a bit so you are resting on the box.
Stand up and see how it feels from the bottom up. Squat down, relax, and play with stance width, toe flair, where weight is on foot etc. Repeat. So what you are doing is finding what position feels the best at that depth and to stand up with…hope that makes sense.
Once you get feeling dialed in then add light bar and squat to the box. Then progress to the oly sized bar. At this point you should be dialed in to squatting with great technique and using the box minimally. So in essence squatting to the box.
Now use the box during some light warm-up sets then take away for heavier sets. The box can be added back in for down sets.
At this point for just depth check you can lower box and put a cushion on it so you can just feel it (soft touch) or run a band, tube, ace wrap, knee wrap etc through the cage and just lightly touch it.

[quote]Germanone wrote:
BTW Kev, amazing how D1 athletes take that stuff for granted then wish they would have soaked it in afterwards. But by the looks of your training i don’t believe you were one of those guys. I think you soaked in tons. [/quote]

G1 thanks I will take that as a HUGE compliment

I went to a D3 school with no weights
then two D1 programs with good S&C types

really coaches particularly wrestling feel that S&C work specifically in the weight room
was taking away from wrestling

we saw it as a necessary evil
really I just did not want to be the kid still using the PVC pipe or the tiny plates when the rest of my
team-mates had moved on
so I guess I was just doing what I needed to get back to practice

while redshirted and ‘injured’ I spent more time with those guys
and they helped me allot
my training now kind of mimics that time period

the second D1 guy and the Guys at the OTC
made it clear to be on top you had to do everything well
and gave me shit to do that really helped

I wish I took better notes, and paid more attention
then

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]Germanone wrote:

[/quote]

THIS!!! [/quote]

YES!!!

This is fantastic, German! 2 pages in and chock full of info. Awesome!

Warm-up template makes complete sense. When I’m back in the swing of things I’ll be looking to incorporate some of that for sure.

Curious - what are some of your lifting goals? In other words, can you put your training into context? Are you going for strength? Conditioning? Tell me!!!

Also, how long are your training sesh’s taking? 90 sec rest between lifts on those combos is beastly! I almost died the other day supersetting cleans and pullups and there’s no way in hell I rested less than 2mins in between each set. Imma catch you tho! lol.

Great work in here, sir. Glad to have you logging again! I’ll be following along nod

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]Germanone wrote:

[/quote]

THIS!!! [/quote]

Lol…not sure what this is though?

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

[quote]Germanone wrote:
BTW Kev, amazing how D1 athletes take that stuff for granted then wish they would have soaked it in afterwards. But by the looks of your training i don’t believe you were one of those guys. I think you soaked in tons. [/quote]

G1 thanks I will take that as a HUGE compliment

I went to a D3 school with no weights
then two D1 programs with good S&C types

really coaches particularly wrestling feel that S&C work specifically in the weight room
was taking away from wrestling

we saw it as a necessary evil
really I just did not want to be the kid still using the PVC pipe or the tiny plates when the rest of my
team-mates had moved on
so I guess I was just doing what I needed to get back to practice

while redshirted and ‘injured’ I spent more time with those guys
and they helped me allot
my training now kind of mimics that time period

the second D1 guy and the Guys at the OTC
made it clear to be on top you had to do everything well
and gave me shit to do that really helped

I wish I took better notes, and paid more attention
then[/quote]

Which d1 school and which training center? Oh and years?