T Nation

Old New Lifter

I thought this might be a good place for me to post. I am 41 years old and started Starting Strength about 6 weeks. I have been very happy with my progress so far. My last work sets were Squat 305, Bench 230, Dead lift 355, Press 145 and Power clean 155 (my cleans suck). I started in late march using 225 for both squat and deads, 185 for bench, 95 for press. I had some shoulder issues that slowed my bench down for 2 weeks but everything seems to be on track again and I hope to enter my first power lifting meet in September.

I wanted to post videos of my last squat and dead lift for any advice on form. Today was my light squat day and I thought that would be good to film. My thinking was that any form problems now will me magnified under heavier weight.

I now realize that these are not the best videos. And I will try and get better angles later. But any help from veterans would be appreciated.

Bump, can I get a depth check, anything? I feel like I am just just hitting contest depth in the video. But not sure.

Hard to tell depth from the camera angle. I always advise people to position the camera at the same level the side refs see the squats.

Also, what fed?

The camera angle is bad and the clothes are obscuring the crease so its tough to tell on depth; that said, I’d say you were right about parallel maybe a touch high if I was forced to guess.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
The camera angle is bad and the clothes are obscuring the crease so its tough to tell on depth; that said, I’d say you were right about parallel maybe a touch high if I was forced to guess. [/quote]

I’m with Jack on this one. I too am forced to face a mirror while squatting, but I find if I don’t look into it to gauge depth I get more of it. But I’m attempting to bottom out on each rep anyway. When I was low-bar/wide stance squatting I’d often set up a stack of plates at the right height and try to touch my rear end to them to be sure.

I appreciate it. I will have to get someone to actually film me instead of trying to prop up a camera.

KPsnap, USAPL seems to the Federation that runs things in MA. At least that is what it seems like to a novice like me.