Old man

46 yrs old. Got an oustanding 6 pack buried under a beer belly. Way outta shape. In good health (I get a EKG once a year) for the moment. Have run and lifted weights off and on for years, mostly off, and have slowly but steadily put on the fat over those years. Goals: Make my wife drool again and cardiovascular health. I’d be grateful for some diet and training plan recommendations and advice.

Start with the FAQ section, then read all the back issues. Pay special attention to the “Diet Manifesto” and “Foods that make you look good nekkid.”

BUSDRIVER, I’VE GOT A KILLER CARDIO WORKOUT FOR U. DO 2 MINUTES OF JOHN DAVIES GPP PROGRAM FOR A WARM-UP AND THEN DO A TOTAL OF 3 SETS X 15 REPS OF ONE-ARMED DUMBELL SWINGS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED BY .25 OF A MILE FAST PACED WALK OR JOG

Kill the caps please. No need to scream. - Mod

Read this for the answers to your questions.

www.testosterone.net/articles/205win.html

www.fitday.com

www.hussman.org/fitness/deficit.htm

KraigY

Thanks for the links.

I’ll agree with KraigY and say that JB’s Winning Formula article will definately get you on the right track.

It is great that you a planning to get “back-in-shape”. Just take your time and focus on form. I gave-up my very fit lifestyle for five years while I chased the corporation mirage> I been back for five years now and I don’t expect to reach 90% of my peak for another year.
Was that a regular EKG or a stress EKG?
Best of Luck.

Your welcome. Now you need to start a food log (fitday) to figure out how many calories you are consumming and what your macro breakdown looks like. Then see the following recomendations given to me by joel marion to figure out your caloric target.

Calculations should not be based on total bodyweight, but rather Lean Body Mass (LBM). There is no reason to include fat mass in the calculation unless you wish to maintain the fat. Simply take the subject's total weight and multiply it by (1 - BF%) to get his LBM. 235.5 X .60 (40%) = 141 LBM For a moderate diet, I have found the following calculations recommended by Vinch Andrich to be very beneficial for macronutrient breakdown: Protein: 1.35 x 141 = 190 grams X 4 = 760 CALORIES = 44% Carbs: 1 x 141 = 141 grams X 4 = 564 CALORIES = 33% Fat: .3 x 141 = 42 grams X 9 = 378 CALORIES = 23% = 1702 TOTAL TARGET CALORIC INTAKE

Then start "the winning formula". If you need help with periodization let me know as I am using it now and I have it on a spreadsheet.

Also for ideas on eating check out my food and training log @

www.fitday.com/WebFit /PublicJournals.html?Owner=kraigy

Also that hussman link will give you some general info on nutrition.

Hope this helps, KraigY