T Nation

Old Man Strength

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/19/DDGR0N0R0V1.DTL&type=movies

“For the past three decades, my generation and even younger guys have allowed full-body atrophy to set in, spending the bulk of our time sitting around playing video games, applying for jobs in data processing, ordering takeout food and thinking up excuses not to mow the lawn.”

"Still not convinced that the American male is getting wussier? Examine your own job site, or any other workplace in the world, and ask yourself the following question: Who would win in a fight – the old guys or the young guys?

Next, imagine actors Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson and Nick Nolte in a Thunderdome-style fight-to-the-death cage match against Orlando Bloom, Jude Law and Ryan Phillippe. Do you think for a second that the scene wouldn’t end in about 12 seconds, with Dirty Harry picking his teeth with the femur of Reese Witherspoon’s pretty, soon-to-be ex-husband?"

I dont know Nolte’s crazy ass might be so blitzed that he’d attack his own side.

But yeah, Eastwood could probably handle the 3 newbies with one arm, and settle Nolte with the other, and Jack, well he’s just too damn cool to exert himself fighting, he’d be off banging Reese.

–WS4

Gary Busey could mix it up (before the accident)

Yup, this is a growing trend. I can take my 4 y/o to the park and see a whole bunch of skinny, unathletic looking fathers out there. Either that or they’re big, fat guys who couldn’t get up the monkey bars to save his kids life (God forbid).

I like to follow my kid through the stuff, it makes you duck, crawl, hang, swing, twist, jump and run. Most young dads I see would fall over and die if they tried this.

Sad.

Jack Palance would have been able to kill all of them, even when he was in his 80’s.

Hell, the Duke, at the end with only one lung could have taken all three of them. Nicholson, no way he’s a midget and a prick. Nolte–too drunk. How about Stallone? Id take Eastwood, Pallance, and the Duke.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find another 60 year old in the kind of shape that Sly is in.

The actors listed played tough roles in tough movies. So they knew how to pretend how to be tough.

You gotta look at the old school football players like Chuck Bednarik, that guy could probably whip three 20 year olds at once right after he got up from a nap.

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

The actors listed played tough roles in tough movies. So they knew how to pretend how to be tough.

You gotta look at the old school football players like Chuck Bednarik, that guy could probably whip three 20 year olds at once right after he got up from a nap.

B.
[/quote]

Exactly. They at least knew how to pretend. Now look at some films, like Troy for example. Bloom, Pitt, etc.,they’re supposed to portray greek heroes, in my eyes some of the greatest (albeit fictional) T-men of all time. To me, they still look like pussies.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
I think you’d be hard pressed to find another 60 year old in the kind of shape that Sly is in. [/quote]

There’s quite a few of them on this site, kid. Look around.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
DS 007 wrote:
I think you’d be hard pressed to find another 60 year old in the kind of shape that Sly is in.

[/quote]

Christ. Did the statement offend you somehow? Do you feel you are in some club that kids like me can’t get into? You don’t know shit about me, granny. So can your attitude.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

B.
[/quote]

Palance was a former heavyweight boxer. That guy actually was pretty tough.

Nicholson never seemed much like a fighter to me, though. Just kinda creepy.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

B.

Palance was a former heavyweight boxer. That guy actually was pretty tough.

Nicholson never seemed much like a fighter to me, though. Just kinda creepy.
[/quote]

He was always as personal favorite. Him and Chuck Connors. And Lee Marvin.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

Christ. Did the statement offend you somehow? Do you feel you are in some club that kids like me can’t get into? You don’t know shit about me, granny. So can your attitude.

[/quote]

No offense taken, punkass. Looks like you’re the one with the bad attitude and short attention span. You DID consider the many hardworking gentlemen on this site when you made the statement quoted above didn’t you? This is not fight club where the first rule is not to talk about it. This is a place for support and consideration for all who take lifting seriously. I was just giving a callout to my fellow senior citizens, and perhaps suggesting to you that as a club “member” that you do the same.

BTW, you can still call me Yo Momma. I’ll let you know the happy moment when I have grandchildren.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:

He was always as personal favorite. Him and Chuck Connors. And Lee Marvin. [/quote]

I like watching his old movies. Lee Marvin was a true tough guy. An Ex-Marine that was wounded in WW-II. He fought in the brutal Battle of Saipan. His rough voice alone, would make Jude Law or Orlando Bloom piss in their pants.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
DS 007 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

No offense taken, punkass. Looks like you’re the one with the bad attitude and short attention span. You DID consider the many hardworking gentlemen on this site when you made the statement quoted above didn’t you? This is not fight club where the first rule is not to talk about it. This is a place for support and consideration for all who take lifting seriously. I was just giving a callout to my fellow senior citizens, and perhaps suggesting to you that as a club “member” that you do the same.

BTW, you can still call me Yo Momma. I’ll let you know the happy moment when I have grandchildren.

[/quote]

Damn. You got all that because I said you’d be hard pressed to find another 60 year old in that kind of shape? Didn’t say it was impossible. Said you’d be hard pressed. The OP wasn’t talking about people on the site. He was talking about film actors. Sly is that. And I don’t know of ANY other 60 year old FILM ACTORS in that kind of shape.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:

Damn. You got all that because I said you’d be hard pressed to find another 60 year old in that kind of shape? Didn’t say it was impossible. Said you’d be hard pressed. The OP wasn’t talking about people on the site. He was talking about film actors. Sly is that. And I don’t know of ANY other 60 year old FILM ACTORS in that kind of shape.
[/quote]

FILM ACTORS??!?!?!?!

Nevermind ;^)

You do realize you guys are basing most of your assumptions on who would win on the characters they played, and not the actors themselves, right? Clint Eastwood isn’t really Dirty Harry. John Wayne wasn’t those characters he played.

Plus you chose 3 old “tough guys” and put them against 3 pussies. How about Eastwood, Nolte, and Nicholson against The Rock, Vin Diesel, and Jet Li?

Wow, people can fight about anything.

Anyway, Dean Martin, while not a tough guy actor, would have wiped up the floor with any of todays pretty boys. He was a professional boxer before he made it in show biz.

I think Jimmy Stewart was a decorated veteran.

Mickey Rourke is one older actor (though only 50) who has proven that he’s a bad-ass on and off screen. The guy had been an amateur boxer in the 70s, I think, then decided to get back into boxing later on and fought pro from 91-95. Nearly ruined his acting career. IMDB says that his face got so damaged that he needed several operations to repair it.

[quote]JonP wrote:
You do realize you guys are basing most of your assumptions on who would win on the characters they played, and not the actors themselves, right? Clint Eastwood isn’t really Dirty Harry. John Wayne wasn’t those characters he played.

Plus you chose 3 old “tough guys” and put them against 3 pussies. How about Eastwood, Nolte, and Nicholson against The Rock, Vin Diesel, and Jet Li?

[/quote]

But your examples prove the opposite point. None of those guys are really big male stars. They are all awesome but the average Joe and Jane blow doens’t know them from Jack. The big stars today tend to be young wussies like Jude Law. Eastwood, Stallone, the Duke were and are huge box office draws male leads stars whatever.