T Nation

Old Guy Wants To Compete

I’m 42 and I am familiar with OLY lifting to some extent. I am looking to increase my OLY lifts enough to attempt to compete in a local state meet. I currently have only done powerlifting competitions and will continue to but I want to crossover to the OLY side as well. Kind of like finding a balance between the Dark side and the Light side of the Force (Star Wars reference).

I am doing a max front squat of 475 lbs right now and I back squat 625 lbs. My bench is currently at 275 but that is increasing quickly as I am recovering from a biceps tendon tear. My recent best deadlift was 550 lbs in competition. I have been recently training lightly with snatches and clean and jerks using 115 lbs for 5 easy reps. I expect to be doing body weight (210 lbs) in both lifts within a month. I know my numbers right now are minuscule but that will change rapidly.

I know form is incredibly important and I plan on posting videos to be heavily criticized and advised upon. Please let me know what you think of my aspirations and if anyone has any simple OLY lifting templates or advise on a lifting plan please give me your 2 cents.

Do the lifts as often as possible, at the highest possible % of 1rm, with the least amount of technical breakdown. E.g. once you have decent form, get in as many heavy, high quality reps as you can.

Work up to a heavy snatch. Drop 10 kilos. Do 5-10 singles.
Work up to a heavy CJ. Drop 10 kilos. Do 5 singles.
Repeat the next day.

Edit: just saw that you are 42. I assume you know how much work your body can handle, and that you won’t kill yourself by immediately going out every single day and working up to maximum.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
I’m 42 and I am familiar with OLY lifting to some extent. I am looking to increase my OLY lifts enough to attempt to compete in a local state meet. I currently have only done powerlifting competitions and will continue to but I want to crossover to the OLY side as well. Kind of like finding a balance between the Dark side and the Light side of the Force (Star Wars reference).

I am doing a max front squat of 475 lbs right now and I back squat 625 lbs. My bench is currently at 275 but that is increasing quickly as I am recovering from a biceps tendon tear. My recent best deadlift was 550 lbs in competition. I have been recently training lightly with snatches and clean and jerks using 115 lbs for 5 easy reps. I expect to be doing body weight (210 lbs) in both lifts within a month. I know my numbers right now are minuscule but that will change rapidly.

I know form is incredibly important and I plan on posting videos to be heavily criticized and advised upon. Please let me know what you think of my aspirations and if anyone has any simple OLY lifting templates or advise on a lifting plan please give me your 2 cents. [/quote]

Well, a simple template for combining PL and OL would be the supertotal one on Pendlay’s forum in the articles section. I believe it has two days of OL’s and two days of PL training. If you’re wanting to do more of a switch to OL, then I would recommend the Beginner article.

Good luck and welcome to Master’s OLing!! I’m 39 and taking a break from competing right now, but still working the lifts (re-tooling my snatch technique)!!

Thanks for the advice and link on Pendlay’s site. I am considering doing once a week training with Danny Carmargo at a gym I just found online. I spoke with Mr. Carmargo today and my Saturday’s may take on a new function this coming week.

BAR WORK EVERY SINGLE DAY.

You don’t have to train every single day but you have to do bar work every single day until you can do it like this:

I guarantee if you can’t move an empty bar fast with near perfect position you will never Sn 100kg anytime soon.

Do 3reps x 6-10sets of bar work as often as you can. OLifting is a learnt skill. As soon as you clock in 500 reps your technique will be THAT much better. Again at 1000reps and onwards.

There are lifters I’ve told to do this and they don’t take it so seriously. Unsuprisingly they aren’t going to Sn 100 anytime soon. It isn’t that hard to do this at the start of every session for 6-8-10sets. By the time you have clocked in 3months you have done 100s of reps.

Koing

Thanks Koing for this instruction. I’ll start doing bar work tomorrow and I’m studying the video to make sure my form is good. I think I will keep looking at the video and really get it ingrained in my head.

Thanks Koing for this instruction. I’ll start doing bar work tomorrow and I’m studying the video to make sure my form is good. I think I will keep looking at the video and really get it ingrained in my head.[/quote]

Cool.

Only lazy people can’t move the bar properly imo. If a person can’t be bothered to put the time and effort to do 10-15mins of bar work to learn to lift, then the lifter is a lost cause. Same goes for mobility work. I refuse to believe after 3months or less that a person can’t move the bar properly with a reasonable level of speed.

If a person doesn’t put in the time and effort then they won’t be hitting any reasonable numbers imo.

Koing

IMO the difference in any person succeeding in any pursuit is the amount of effort and dedication one puts in towards the goal desired. If one is complacent and waits for the world to just be on a platter served for the taking then most likely one’s goals are a vanishing dream. Think and do.

IMO the difference in any person succeeding in any pursuit is the amount of effort and dedication one puts in towards the goal desired. If one is complacent and waits for the world to just be on a platter served for the taking then most likely one’s goals are a vanishing dream. Think and do.[/quote]

F0cking right on mate!

Koing

Did 6 sets of 5 Hang Snatches today as a warm up for my 40 day East Strength (Dan John) routine. Then I did 1 set x 5 reps of 115 on the snatch. I’m really working on exploding and keeping the bar close to my body during the entire movement. Thinking that I will move up 5 or 10 pounds on the 1x5 set of snatches by the end of the week. I would like to be doing a set of 5 with 155 lbs by the end of the month and I think that is very reasonable.

Why 5’s?

Stick with 3’s for the bar work and don’t just do them from the hang, lift from the floor as well as you need to dial in the 1st pull that you need to sweep in.

Koing

Okay. I just starting doing 5’s because I was enjoying the movement and getting in the groove. I think next time I’ll do more sets and keep the reps to 3 as well as working from the floor. One thing I noticed was that after my lifting was finished for the day my upper back, grip, and forearms felt noticeably more worked than usual and I attribute that to the increase in snatches.

It is better to do 3’s and then do more sets if you want to do more work. It’s much harder to maintain speed and power for 5’s then it is for 3’s even with the bar imo. Just take 10-15seconds off and go back in to it.

Yes you will notice small differences like this at the start. But after a while it takes a real killer session or a heavy session to feel it. Or a rest from training of more than 7 days :stuck_out_tongue:

Koing

Today work was hot and very taxing but after a stout cup of coffee I did my 40 day Easy Strength routine and I began with snatch work for warm ups.

8 sets x 3 reps w/45 lbs bar
1 x 3 x 125 lbs

Then I did the rest of the Easy Strength routine (Dan John). The snatches were done with about 30 seconds between sets and the 125 lbs or 56.8 Kilos reps were okay but not as explosive as I would have liked. The first 2 reps were just decent however the last rep was fast and explosive. I tried to punch up the weight and I did all snatches from the floor.

Yesterday did my bar work and then some:

8 x 3 Snatches with 45 lbs bar
1 x 3 x 125 lbs Snatches
1 x 3 x 125 lbs Clean and Jerk: Then I did my Easy Strength (Dan John) lifting.

Adding this much OLY lifting to my routine has increased the intensity of my lifting. I’m taking today off. Saturday I am meeting with a local Olympic Coach and his team to begin getting some instruction and work my way with them toward competing.

Yesterday did my bar work and then some:

8 x 3 Snatches with 45 lbs bar
1 x 3 x 125 lbs Snatches
1 x 3 x 125 lbs Clean and Jerk: Then I did my Easy Strength (Dan John) lifting.

Adding this much OLY lifting to my routine has increased the intensity of my lifting. I’m taking today off. Saturday I am meeting with a local Olympic Coach and his team to begin getting some instruction and work my way with them toward competing.[/quote]

Good call!! BTW, seeing that you’re in Florida, who are you meeting with?? I know a couple of guys there.

I’m meeting with Tyrone Harvey and most likely will begin training with him and his crew next Saturday. Yesterday I did the following:

8x3x 20.45 Kg Snatches
1x3x 61.36 Kg Snatches
1x3x 61.36 kg Clean and Jerk

Then I did my Dan John Easy Strength routine

I am going to increase my OLY lifts more and more progressively in the next weeks and I have my eyes set on competing in my first weightlifting contest on October 13.

I’m meeting with Tyrone Harvey and most likely will begin training with him and his crew next Saturday. Yesterday I did the following:

8x3x 20.45 Kg Snatches
1x3x 61.36 Kg Snatches
1x3x 61.36 kg Clean and Jerk

Then I did my Dan John Easy Strength routine

I am going to increase my OLY lifts more and more progressively in the next weeks and I have my eyes set on competing in my first weightlifting contest on October 13. [/quote]

Sweet mate. I highly recommend getting new lifters to compete ASAP. This gives them a lot of focus for the next comp and for training that you do not get if you have not done your first comp.

Koing

Signed up for my weightlifting instruction today and membership to USA Weightlifting. I begin training with my Coach on Saturday. Lifting today went well:

8x3x20.45 kg(bar) Snatches:
1x3x63.63 kg Snatches:
1x3x84 kg Clean and Jerk:

Followed by Dan John Easy Strength routine

Today I decided to change my lifting platform altogether because I am planning to compete in a Weightlifting contest on October 13. Training today went like this:

Warm Ups:
25 Goblet Squats w/25 lbs kettlebell
100 Swings w/25 lgs kettlebell

Snatch:
8x3x45lbs(bar)
2x95lbs; 2x105lbs; 2x115; 2x120,4x125

Clean & Jerk:
1x125;1x135;1x145;1x155;1x165;1x175;1x185;1x195lbs

Back Squat:
5x135;5x225;3x5x315lbs

Standing Press:
5x3x135 lbs

400 Meter Loaded Carry w/35lbs each hand

25 Standing Crunches w/60 lbs.

Lifting went well and my body is thoroughly beat from head to toe. Gotta love it! Going to do this Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with slight increases each lifting day on top sets. Going for training Saturday with a Weightlifting coach and team. It’s on.