T Nation

Old Guy Trying to Get Strong

Happy birthday Steve :slight_smile:

Thanks, guys! Aside from the joint aches and pains, I really don’t feel old, and you can get joint pain at any age. Well, except when I get out of the car after a long drive, then the creaking when I unfold myself is audible and painful… I just have to focus on good form and remember that age brings a certain amount of increased susceptibility to injury.

Only managed 2 workouts this week. I was planning to go last night, got to the gym and realized I forgot my gym shorts, and I wasn’t about to do front squats and run in jeans, so I went ahead and postponed it to this morning.

1/11/19

Warmup: Barbell complex x3 with chinups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Bench:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
5x115#
5X135#
5x155#
5x175#

Chinups: 2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Deadlift:
5x45# +2 power cleans
5x95# + 2 power cleans
5x135#
5x185#
5x225#
5x275#

Accessory giant set:

Dips: 10/15/15

Barbell rows 135#: 10/10/10

Front squat 95#: 5/5/5

Conditioning:

10 laps on indoor track: ~:30 rest between laps.

I got off track and ended up only doing 6 rounds of deadlift, but not sure I wanted to make a jump to 315# yet, anyway.
I don’t think it’s prudent to do BB rows and front squat as part of the same giant set. I had planned to progress up in weight on the front squats, but the rows fatigued my core too much, so even 95# was hard. Maybe I’ll switch to horizontal bodyweight rows, that’ll hit my horizontal pull without trashing my core. I don’t have anything to do chest-supported BB rows with, except a machine that I don’t like a whole lot.

I had to go into work today to get some bookkeeping work done that I can never finish during normal hours because I never have a few hours to work undisturbed, so I hit the gym here at work. No track here, and I really can’t run on site, so I did the elliptical for my conditioning.

1/13/19 - Press/squat/accessory day.

Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/1/1

Giant set 1:
Press:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
5x115#
5x135#
5x145#

Chin-ups 2/3/4/5/6/7

Squat:
5x45#
5x95#
5x135#
5x185#
5x225#
5x245#

Accessory giant set:

1 arm DB press per arm:
10x50#
10x50#
10x50#

Krok rows:
10x60#
10x60#
10x60#

Zercher squats:
5x135#
5x135#
5x135#

Conditioning: 15 minutes elliptical, 145 calories burned, which I guess is the best way to measure progress on that machine.

I’m happy that I am still able to progress with the weight, but things are starting to feel heavy. Up until now it’s mostly been making me out of breath, and then DOMS the next 2 days. Today the DOMS from Friday was completely gone, so I guess my muscles are starting to get used to having a demand placed on them.

Oh, forgot to mention, I totally forgot to time the workout again today. The good thing about using the gym at work today, though, was I had 2 squat racks to myself, so no swapping weights around. Rest time between sets was as long as it took to load the bars with the next weight, and take a sip of water. Still under an hour counting warmup and conditioning.

I jumped into the Strongman Resolutions 2019 thread over in the Strongman section, and it made me think about goals for this year, other than just going to the gym to go, and the t-ransformation challenge. So, here’s my tangible goal list:

1.Keep my knee healthy - This one is a no-brainer, but I tend to forget and push myself past where I should, or do something outside of whatever program I’m working on a whim, and hurting myself, so I guess the more broad goal is to stay healthy, but my knee is what’s a little wonky right now so it’s what I’m actively monitoring.

2.Get down below 180# so I can compete LW next time I compete, expect to accomplish this by June 1 with the @t-ransformation2019 challenge - I initially signed up for this challenge without a concrete goal in mind other than to see my abs again, but since I do want to compete in Strongman some more, I figured I’d target the lightweight cutoff so I’m not competing against people who have 150# on me, since the master’s class usually ends up all together instead of splitting weight classes.

3.500# deadlift - This has been a goal that I have been pursuing but not very intently. I hit 475# last year with a couple months of focused effort, so I think it’s achievable when I shift focus back to strength after June 1st.

4.Consistent 200# log clean and press - I just want to do this because it kicked my ass last year. I realistically should be able to get well over 200# log press, since I can just about strict press 200# with a barbell, but for some reason this is my nemesis.

5.Compete in at least 1 meet this year - I wimped out of the meet in November because of my knee, so obviously achieving #1 on the list is a prerequisite here, but I’m going all in on strongman prep after I finish the challenge on June 1st. Of course, between now and then I’ll continue to work on strength, but with a focus on conditioning and weight loss I’m sure I’ll have some ground to make up this Summer and Fall.

I’m confident that they’re all achievable goals, I just need to keep focused and not have any major lapses, and not be stupid and hurt myself.

1/15/19 Bench/Deadlift/Accessory day

Warmup: Barbell complex x3 with chinups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Bench:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
5x115#
5X135#
5x155#
5x185#

Chinups: 2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Deadlift:
5x45# +2 power cleans
5x95# + 2 power cleans
5x135#
5x185#
5x225#
Switched to mixed grip
5x275#
5x295#

Accessory giant set:

Front squat: 5x95#, 5x115#, 5x135#

Dips: 15/15/15

Barbell rows 135#: 10/10/10

No conditioning, I didn’t bring my running shoes today. I though about doing some sort of WOD, but I decided to head on home because the wife isn’t feeling well. I did remember to time things today, 38:40 from start of warm-up to taking the weights off the bars at the end.

I’ve also decided to keep track of what I’m eating, to keep myself somewhat accountable. I’m not going to weigh things to start out, just watch what I’m putting in my mouth for right now. If I don’t start seeing some progress after a little while, I’ll go to the next step.

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. 1 small orange.

Lunch: Large salad = baby spinach, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, olive oil and vinegar. 1 can tuna in olive oil. 12 oz glass of whole milk. (I need to buy some mushrooms, onions and cherry tomatoes to add to my salad fixings at work.)

Dinner: Bowl of roast beef with potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. 12 oz glass whole milk.

Not a whole lot of food compared to an average day last year, but the dinner was pretty substantial, and I’m not hungry right now. Like I said, I’ll keep this up for a while, and if I don’t start seeing the results I like, I’ll start weighing stuff and doing math.

Your goals are written down now let’s go get it…

Yeah Steve, those are some nice goals, achievable, but it takes some effort.
Get the head down and dig deep. Then you’ll check them all off.
I’ll be here to remind you about them