T Nation

Old Guy Trying to Get Strong

pretty good imo

Doing a little better, but still don’t think I’m quite 100%.

Thanks, man, I’m happy with 10 reps there, I’m just ready for it to translate to max overhead strength some more…

9/14/18 Strongman day at Strength Guild Topeka

Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/2/3

Log clean once and press:
5x80#
5x130#
3x150#
2x180#
0x210#
0x210#
4x2x180#

Superset with 5xchin-ups after each set, except the 2 failed sets at 210#

Axle tire deadlift:
5x135#
5x195#
3x285#
2x375#
Put on belt:
1x425#
1x475#!
Took off belt:
1x425#
1x375#
1x285#

Zercher yoke carry:
2x100ft @185#
2x100ft @235#
4x50ft @285#

So, some good and some bad today. The bad all themed around breathing.

• First, I tried and failed at 210# on the log, twice. I think the strength is there, but when I get that weight on my chest and start to push, I get dizzy for some reason. I have a lot of interabdominal pressure going right then, holding a breath in, so I don’t know - Vagal nerve response, maybe? Has anyone else out there experienced something like that? Anyway, after I gave up at 210#, I dropped down to 180# and did 4 sets of 2 just to get more time with heavy weight held in the rack position, and getting a breath between reps so I can do multiple.
  • The other bad was not being able to get a decent breath once I went up to 285# on the Zercher yoke carries. Strength definitely wasn’t the problem here, but 50’ was as far as I could go because I couldn’t get a decent breath once I started moving.
  • Deadlift is the one thing I’m fully happy about today. First time hitting 475! My grip started to give at the top, but I did lock it out. I’ll be able to use straps at the contest, but my straps seem to have disappeared, so I need to order a new set. I should probably check with the contest coordinator and make sure they are still allowing figure-8 straps.

Addendum: I am going to talk to Phil at Strength Guild and see if he does any strongman coaching. Alternatively, KC Strongman does strongman training days in Lees Summit, MO, some Sundays, so I can try to make it to one of those. It’s a little bit of a drive, but I can only accomplish so much on my own as far as getting better at the movements, and I need some outside input.

So I thought I’d throw in a little life update.

First, my daughter, son-in-law and 2 granddaughters just moved from Florida up to Kansas with us, so now I have 3 of my 4 kids, and all my grandkids, here with me. I kept a house available in the hopes that they would make the move, and they finally did it. I’m helping them out financially, and basically letting them live in a house for free until they’re both working and on their feet, but it’s totally worth it. South Florida was just financially untenable for them, they will be able to thrive here instead of just struggle month to month.

I went to my 35th high school reunion last week, which was a blast! I saw some people who I haven’t seen since I graduated, and a good time was had by all. There were a lot of people who didn’t recognize me at all, since I had long hair and was 125# soaking wet when I graduated. The ones I am friends with on facebook, or who still see my brother on a regular basis, recognized me, but there were a lot of good, amusing reactions to people realizing who I was. Of course, it went both ways, and I struggled to recognize a lot of people as well. Anyway, got some pictures of the girls and the guys:

9/17/18 5/3/1 cycle 4 day 2

Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/2/3

Squat:
10x45#
5x95#
5x135#
5x185#
5x225#
5x245#
10x275#

Zercher squats:
5x135#
5x185#
5x225#

Good mornings: 3x10x135#
superset with decline sit-ups with 15# kettlebell: 12/12/12

Barbell waiter carries with 115#: 4x50ft

Good workout, and I got a piece of 3/4" pipe foam insulation to put around the bar that really helped with the Zercher squats. I’m seeing the same problem with Zercher squats as with carries, though. Once it gets heavy I can’t breath at the top. I need to figure this breathing thing out.

when you find out let me know lol