I like the shirt.
8/28/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 6
Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/2/3
Good mornings: 3x10x135#
Superset with decline sit ups with 15# kettlebell over head: 12/12/12
Squats felt good, 345# was heavy but not terrible. I tried using my fat grips on the Zercher squats, but they still totally sucked. Now the crooks of my elbows have the fat gripz logo embossed on them in addition to hurting. I’ll keep trying to find a way to make Zercher squats not suck, but I’m not optimistic.
Knee or elbow sleeves?
i put boxing gloves between my elbows and the bar. the finger section in the elbow crest and the opening of the gloves pointing to my fingers, feels alright but then i never been above 70 kg in the zercher squat.
I have elbow and knee sleeves both, I always forget about them. Maybe I’ll try that next. I also might try some with the axle on Friday, since I’ll have access to one.
Thanks. The more I consider it, the more I’m coming to the conclusion that this has to be my competition shirt in November.
I don’t have access to boxing gloves, but that’s not a bad thought. There has to be one of those stupid bar pads that some people put on to do squats, somewhere around one of the gyms I go to.
8/29/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 7
Warmup: barbell complex x3 with pullups 1/1/1
superset with pullups 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
25# weighted dips 12/12/12
superset with 25# weighted pullups 7/8/8
I had to do a bunch of running around before I hit the gym today, and I forgot to look at my spreadsheet beforehand, so I didn’t use the right numbers for my working sets, was supposed to be 145, 165 and 185. That’s okay, still no problem with the weights even on the jokers. Ran out of time to do direct arm work again today, so none at all this week. Day off tomorrow, then another trip to Topeka to hit the Strength Guild again for more strongman work.
8/31/18 Strongman day
Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/2/3
Put on belt:
Log clean once and press:
Zercher yoke carry 33m/110 feet
- On the axle/tire deadlift, I just wanted to get some heavier reps in, and then kept the back-off sets over 400#, I need to get used to heavier weight. I’ll still rep with lighter weights on my normal 5/3/1 deadlift days.
- I was happy to get 200# on the log, although it wasn’t much of a push jerk, and I got dizzy after I lifted it, so I straight up bailed and dropped it from the top. Holding air while in the rack position continues to be my biggest challenge here. No back-off sets on log today.
- I stopped on the way and bought some bolts to put together the other yoke today, since I can drop it far enough for a reasonable Zercher carry without dragging it on the ground. I just wish I had thought to weigh the pieces before I put it together, since I had no idea how much I was carrying while I was doing it, other than that this yoke was substantially lighter than the other one. I didn’t try to go heavy today, just did some long carries for conditioning and to practice breathing with the bar on my chest. Took it back apart and weighed it after I was done. I’ll try some carries with 285# next time.
9/3/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 8
Warmup: 3x barbell complex + chin-ups 1/2/3
45# 1 power clean +3
95# 1 power clean + 3
135# 1 power clean + 3
185# 1 power clean + 3
Switched to mixed grip
Trap bar carries:
3x5 ab wheels rollouts
superset with 3x10 back extensions with 15# kettlebell over head
- Deadlift continues to get stronger, and I’m going to keep pushing hard until after November. Worst part about the deadlifts and trap bar carries today, the bars at the gym at work have wicked knurling, and it was destroying the palms of my hands…
- I think I’m actually starting to get better at doing front squats!
- Did a little bit of core work. Today’s workout was long for me, about 1:15, but I was off today, went into the work gym because the rec center is closed for Labor Day, and my home gym was in the dark by the time I got to work out. Lots of work in a short period of time a la Darkhorse is sounding good, but definitely not until I’ve made it through the competition in November.
Great workout man well done
Thanks, man. Nothing is quite as motivating as a contest looming on the horizon with events in it that I haven’t successfully done yet! You’re doing great work as well, don’t let the minor setbacks get you down, these things go in cycles.
9/4/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 9
Warmup: 3x barbell complex with chin-ups 1/1/1
Delayed 1+ set to do push jerks before too fatigued:
Back to strict press, 1+ set:
Superset with chin-ups 2/3/4/5/6/7/10
DB press per arm: 10x50#, 10x60# push press 10x70#
Superset with Kroc rows: 10x60#, 10x70#, 10x80#
Preacher curls with ez curl bar 2x10x38#
superset with tricep extensions 2x10x38#
Barbell waiter carry:
1x100 feet x95#
2x50 feet x115#
- My body is starting to feel the effect of this week’s night shift, I started today’s workout about the time I would normally be going to sleep. I felt stiff and slow warming up, but got better as the workout went along.
- Interrupting the 5/3/1 sets to throw in the push jerks before my max rep set is the ticket, I think. I failed the first try on 215#, but got it up without re-racking it. I think I have more in me if I’m better rested. Still managed 7 reps on the 1+ set, which matched last cycle, with 5# more on the bar this time, so still progressing on static press as well.
- I decided to start doing waiter carries on press day, since I’m starting to get the feel that lockout strength is going to be key for the log press event, along with being able to breath with something heavy held over my head. I’ll do it before the direct arm work next time, though. My triceps were toast, or I would have done another walk with 135#.
haha i read it as you got 0,1 (1 inch) up.
Pretty good jerk, 225 in the horizont, Steve.
Do you guys use a comma instead of a period for decimal point designator over there? I know in some countries that’s the standard, and it throws me off whenever I see math written that way.
And yeah, I think I’ll be able to get 225# soon, I just hope there’s good carryover to the log press. If I keep my focus on overhead work, my push jerk may surpass my (admittedly pathetic) bench.
I would use a comma for decimal point
For instance when I write my weight it would be 181,1 lb
I don’t know if it was a typo, but I would have written it with a space af the comma, like 0, 1 x 215.
If I should write a big number like a million $ I could do it 1.000.000,00 $ but I would not have to use the periods, those is to make it easier to read.
I think most peeps think their bench is pathetic.
I’m lucky all my lifts are pathetic But I’m happy with were I am. Just a bit disapointed about my bench. During winter and spring 2016 I regularly hit 100 kg once for 3 reps and I did 102,5 for a double and a single at 105 kg/231 lb.
Yeah, I would write 1 million dollars the opposite way, as $1,000,000.00. My bench is pathetic sort of by design, I go really conservative since I blew my left pec out in 2013, not an experience I want to repeat.
9/5/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 10
Warmup: 3x barbell complex with chin-ups 1/2/3
Good mornings 3x10x135#
superset with decline situps with 15# kettlebell 12/12/12
- Still hitting 10 reps on the max rep set, but today was definitely heavy. My stance wasn’t right during my warm-up sets for some reason, I had to keep tweaking it, but finally got it to groove right on the last set.
- I used an old, thicker chrome-plated bar for Zercher squats today, and it felt a lot better. Still a lot to hold in the crooks of your elbows, but a lot less painful. I tried a little more weight today, and it felt fine. I’m going to bump this to 5 reps next time.
9/6/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 11
Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/1/1
Superset with Chin-ups 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9
25# weighted dips: 12/12/12
Superset with 25# weighted chin-ups 6/7/7
20# single arm concentration curls 10/10
Superset with 20# single arm overhead triceps extensions 10/10
- No spotter today, so stuck with 195# for the top set on bench, since I did that last month with no problem. Still no problem.
- I’m amazed at how destroyed my arms felt after the baby weight arm-specific exercises. Of course, that was after bench, chin-ups, press, weighted dips and weighted chin-ups, so I guess it shouldn’t be surprising after all.
No strongman work tomorrow, the wife and I are driving to Texas for my 35th high school reunion. I’m looking forward to it, some of the people there I haven’t seen in 35 years.
9/10/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 12
Warm-up: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/2/3
45# 2 power cleans +5
95# 2 power cleans +5
135# 2 power cleans +5
Main lift only today, since I had to go and mow until it was almost dark, and ran out of light while I was working out. Not bad deadlifting day, but missed the accessory work. This whole week may be fairly minimalist, since I’m working on getting a house ready for my daughter, her husband and kids to move into in a couple of days, so lifting is taking a back seat.
In JIm’s world that would be a “I’m not doing jack shit”.
That is okay, you work the big lift, that is enough.
Doing it for a week, why not, kind of a deload.
Doing it for a month, you might start to suffer.
btw 7x375 awesome Steve
Okay, so this week is definitely a forced deload. I was sick yesterday, had no appetite and couldn’t get out of the bathroom for very long. Better today, but still not 100%. I did manage to get a light workout in.
9/12/18 5/3/1 cycle 4 day 1
Warm-up: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/1/1
Superset with chin-ups 2/3/4/5/6/7
Quick and done. Still don’t feel great, but appetite is somewhat back. Planning to hit Strength Guild Friday morning, hopefully I’ll be 100% for that. Daughter, son-in-law and grandkids are arriving tonight, so there won’t be much sleep to be had tonight. Also lots of unloading of U-haul over the next 2 days.
get better soon Steve