Old Guy Doing 5/3/1

Wow 101 lbs in one day! I thought my 11lb gain was impressive

2 Likes

Pizza and as Simo says please don’t talk about pizza.
I’m hungry

1 Like

My calories have been under my 500 calorie/day deficit target every day, even with the pizza. I’m pretty sure it’s the inactivity and being sick, so it’ll even out.

3/20/19 food for today

Breakfast: Shake = 1/2 cup whole milk, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder.

Lunch: Large salad = spinach, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, onion, olives, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 1 can of tuna with Frank’s Red Hot.

Snack: 1/4 cup unshelled peanuts.

Dinner: 7 oz ribeye steak with gorgonzola sauce. 4 oz baked asparagus. 2 dinner rolls with butter.

Bedtime: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Totals for today 1848 calories, 183g protein, 138g carbs, 80g fat. 42 calories under my new 750 calories/day deficit target of 1890. Too much fat and low on carbs, but I expected that with the ribeye steak gorgonzola, but it was delicious. It’s a lot easier for me to keep my carbs down than my fat, it seems. As long as my calories are good, and I don’t have energy problems when working out from the lack of carbs, it should be fine.

5 Likes

3/21/19 morning weigh-in 187.6# Another new low number, but I’m ready to be healthy and get back in the gym, already. My body doesn’t ache anymore, but drainage has moved the cough down into my lungs, so that’s a new kind of painful every time I cough. Hopefully this crud is in its late stages and ready to be done.

4 Likes

Feel better brother. Hopefully the added rest you’ve been getting will serve you well the workouts to come.

1 Like

Thanks, man. I’m not sure poor sleep and no appetite is going to help me a whole lot, though, especially since with my 3 days/week program I haven’t felt fatigued at all anyway. Just something I need to get through to the other side of. I might try to hit the gym today if I feel up to it, otherwise I’ll give it a whole week and wait until Saturday.

Sounds like what I had. Good luck recovering it sticks with you forever

2 Likes

Come on man, get well, you need to lift.

1 Like

The crud is still lingering, but gradually getting better. I decided to push my next training day to Saturday to minimize the odds of having a violent coughing paroxysm in the gym as soon as I get out of breath.

3/21/19 food for yesterday

Breakfast: Shake = 1/2 cup whole milk, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder.

Lunch: Large salad = spring mix, spinach, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, onion, olives, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 2 cans of sardines, on with mustard and one with with Frank’s Red Hot.

Dinner: 9 oz ribeye steak with gorgonzola sauce. 4 oz baked asparagus. 1 dinner roll with butter. 1 12oz glass of Irish coffee stout.

Bedtime: 1 scoop creatine.

Totals for today 1869 calories, 166g protein, 131g carbs, 91g fat. Managed to stay under calorie target again today even having a beer with dinner. Cutting down on my breakfast shake fat and calories makes a difference, and the giant salad I eat at work helps me stay full. Between 2 cans of sardines and the steak for dinner, I saw I was going to be pretty good on protein so decided to have the beer and skip the protein powder at bedtime.

3/22/19 morning weigh-in 186.8# Another new low, which I will take, but I’m still expecting some rebound once I get fully healthy and start training again, and my appetite comes back.

4 Likes

3/22/19 food for yesterday

Breakfast: Shake = 4 oz whole milk, 4 oz water, 1.5 scoops protein powder, 1 scoop quick oats. 1 navel orange.

Snack: 15g deluxe mixed nuts. 1 oz. beef jerky.

Skipped lunch, went out with the wife and 2 of the kids to Lawrence, did a bunch of downtown shopping and walking, late birthday present for my older son.

Dinner: Excellent seafood meal at Merchants Pub and Plate = large Brussels sprouts salad. 6 oz. almond crusted halibut. 4 oz. mashed potatoes with dill. 4 oz. grilled asparagus. Part of wife’s excellent meal = 2 oz. beef short ribs. 2 oz. gnocchi. 1/2 goat cheese cake with fig and lemon. A couple bites of the daughter’s fruit sorbet.

I planned on being done there, which would have been almost a perfect day nutritionally, but made the mistake of stopping at the bar and grill where my older daughter works to say hi since she was about to get off. Son-in-law and grandkids were there waiting for her to get off and eat, so we ended up staying for over an hour, wife and kids bought more food, I didn’t order anything. The wife didn’t like her fried catfish and fries that she ordered, and I am apparently obsessively incapable of allowing food to go to waste…

Late meal: Crappy seafood meal at Buddy’s Bar and Grill = 4 oz. fried catfish, cornmeal breading criminally overdone. 4 oz. greasy french fries.

Bedtime: 1 scoop creatine.

Totals for today 2589 calories, 168g protein, 202g carbs, 113g fat. I should have just thrown the wife’s fish and chips into the trash, but like I said, I have a hard time wasting food that I’ve paid for. I need to just get over it when it’s something crappy. Over 600 calories with very little decent nutrition, I would have gotten just as much protein if I’d done my normal bedtime shake, with less carbs and wayyyy less fat. As bad as it was, though, it’s still about 50 calories under maintenance for me.

3/23/19 morning weigh-in 188.2# A good jump up from yesterday due to the crappy fried food eaten at 9:30 last night, lots of salt.

Weights for the week:

3/17 - 188.4#
3/18 - 189.4#
3/19 - 188.2#
3/20 - 189.2#
3/21 - 187.6#
3/22 - 186.8#
3/23 - 188.2#

Average = 188.2#, down 1.4# from 189.6# last week. Only 1 bad day of eating last week, but no training since last Saturday because of the flu. I’ll just call yesterday a refeed and recovery from being sick, and hopefully I’ll have plenty of energy in the gym today.

3 Likes

You’re in the 186’s already! Slow your role!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Glad you’re feeling better. Sucks when you’re trying to diet while sick. I always crave CARBS when I’m sick.

I hit a new low this morning too :open_mouth::wink:

Nice, and you’ll probably hit the 170’s looking more lean than I will, you’re already looking leaner right now.

I never seem to crave carbs, for me it’s fat that I want. I can go without dessert no problem, but throw some bacon in front of me and it’s game over…

3/23/19 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 2 day 12 Bench primary/Deadlift secondary

Warmup: Barbell complex x3 with chinups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Bench:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
5x115#
5X135#
Work sets:
5x165#
3x185#
4x215#

Chinups: 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Deadlift:
5x45# +2 power cleans
5x95# + 2 power cleans
5x135# + 2 power cleans
5x185#
5x225#
Work sets:
5x285#
Switched to mixed grip
3x325#
1x365#

Accessory giant set:

Front squat: 5x155#, 5x185#, 5x205#

45# weighted dips: 10/10/10

Barbell rows 185#: 10/10/10

Conditioning: interval running: 115 meters in :45. 3x400 meters, in 2:01, 1:52, 1:48. Last interval matched my time from 3 weeks ago, I might have been able to push a little harder.

Felt good for being off for a week. My wind hasn’t fully recovered, I was coughing a little between sets, but I don’t think it impacted my performance too badly, maybe a little bit on the 400m intervals. Today’s bench was the first time I didn’t hit 5 reps on the last set of 5/3/1 week since starting back, I knew it was going to be either press or bench that got there first, and I think it was being sick that made the difference. It’s good to be back in the gym!

7 Likes

I would believe that too. I think you did good.
Nice to have you back lifting.

Hell of a session mate

Thanks, pappa.

3/23/19 food for today

Breakfast (45 minutes before training): Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder. 1 banana.

Post-training snack: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine. 1 navel orange.

Lunch: 9 oz. gorgonzola ribeye. 2 oz. grilled asparagus. 2 dinner rolls with butter.

Dinner: 6.5 oz. deboned pork ribs. 4 oz. homemade 3 bean salad with onions and bell peppers.

Totals for today 2258 calories, 238g protein, 165g carbs, 92g fat. Came in 630 calories under target, corrected for training. I feel like I ate more food than yesterday, but since I didn’t eat any garbage today I came in 300 calories lower than yesterday, and with a lot better macros. Much happier with today’s diet, but this article came out at just the right time to make me feel slightly less terrible about yesterday’s choices. What Really Happens When You Pig Out - Diet and Nutrition - COMMUNITY - T NATION I still feel bad about them because the catfish sucked so badly, but not so much because of any damage done to my goals…

So, Monday starts cycle 3 of my current 5/3/1 whole body experiment. New training maxxes are as follows:

Press: 170#
Squat: 300#
Bench: 225#
Deadlift: 390#

I should have time to get through 2 more full cycles before June 1st, then I’ll reassess and decide if I want to change things up or keep going like I have been.

4 Likes

3/24/19 morning weigh-in 186.8# Back on track in the 186’s today, hopefully will see 185 this week. Wife is cooking French toast, and thick-cut bacon from the hog we butchered last year, for breakfast. I’m going to have to watch what I eat for the rest of the day, but breakfast will be worth it!

6 Likes

I’m with you on that one! Nothing better than a hearty breakfast. Enjoy man.

1 Like

I’m hoping to see a new number this week as well, but tonight is date night and we’re going to a burger place. I really, really, really want the egg burger. I love me a good burger with an egg, cheese, and bacon on top. Oh, they also serve truffle fries by the basket… I don’t know how I’m going to go about it but I have 1200 calories left. At least if I blow it then it won’t be by a ton.

2 Likes

It was delicious!

I hope you enjoyed your date night dinner! Take a look at the article I linked in yesterday’s food log a couple posts up. Basically, 1 binge day doesn’t do any damage on your long-term goals. There’s a place called Do-Bee’s in Emporia that does some excellent, monstrous burgers with all sorts of different options. No truffle fries, though.

3/24/19 food for today

Breakfast: 4 slices of French toast (made with thin cut French bread, so small slices) with light syrup. 3 pieces of thick cut bacon. 12 oz. glass of whole milk. Breakfast shake lite = 1 scoop protein powder, .5 oz. quick oats in water.

Snack: Went back for the last piece of bacon.

Skipped lunch.

Dinner: 9 oz. gorgonzola ribeye- last of the leftover ribeye. 4 oz. homemade 3 bean salad. 2 small slices garlic bread. Small salad = spring mix, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and onions with ginger dressing.

Bedtime: protein powder with creatine.

Totals for today 1877 calories, 182g protein, 118g carbs, 92g fat. Almost dead on target today.

I took a cue from @losthog and got productive today, and got an impromptu workout in at the same time. Cleaned out and did a 30% water change-out on my 75 gallon aquarium and my 400 gallon koi pond, which involved between the 2 of them, humping 30-something 5 gallon buckets of water between emptying and refilling (I have a pump to drain out the koi pond, but I put the water back in 1 bucket at a time because I want it treated before it goes in. For the aquarium I have to carry it all 1 bucket at a time, and lift the bucket to shoulder level to dump it in). Then finished tearing out the limestone and concrete slab in my back yard to make way for the deck going up this spring, broke out and moved a few thousand lbs of rock and concrete. After that, got the Jag up and running after its winter rest, and got the riding mower de-winterized as well.

4 Likes

And here I am ignoring a fence that’s been leaning for over a year.