Old Guy Doing 5/3/1

Yeah a great one.
5 x 365 DL
5 x 205 front squat for assistance wow.

I liked the sprinting as well. 10 rounds of 115 m in a decent pace. The last couple must have been a little hard?
Well done

The workout went well, although I had more rest during the weight portion than I’ve been having, because I had my stepson lifting with me, and I’m trying to help him with his form and some cues while he’s up here for spring break. I can’t remember who it was, but someone here told me to do fewer sets when I’m doing sprints in order to maximize the benefit, and I’m trying to take that to heart.

3/15/19 morning weigh-in 188.4# A new low, by a substantial amount. I’ll attribute it to very low calories yesterday (I was over 1100 calories below baseline adjusted for training), a good night’s sleep all the way until 8:30 this morning, and my digestion finally being back in order from my issues on Wednesday.

3 Likes

3/15/19 food for today

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder. 1 navel orange.

Lunch: 4 oz. pork roast. 3 oz. green beans. 3 oz. sweet potato casserole.

Snack: 1 Old fashioned cocktail.

Dinner: 8 oz. grilled salmon. 2 oz. snap peas. 4 oz. fried potato patties.

Snack: Cappuccino = 4 oz. milk.

Bedtime: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Totals for today 2183 calories, 174g protein, 201g carbs, 74g fat. Almost dead on-target for calories, but slightly high on carbs because of the one drink. Still a good day overall.

2 Likes

3/16/19 morning weigh-in 189.4 A little bump back up, ate well yesterday and feel fine this morning, not dehydrated. Coffee, breakfast, then geeking out for a few hours and playing Dungeons and Dragons with my kids.

Weights for the week:

3/10 - 190.0#
3/11 - 189.8#
3/12 - 189.8#
3/13 - 189.4#
3/14 - 190.2#
3/15 - 188.4#
3/16 - 189.4#

Average = 189.6#, down 1.3# from 190.9# last week. My diet consistency was a lot more steady this week compared to last week, and I more than doubled the rate of weight loss, so I’ll take that.

5 Likes

Top effort on the changes mate, looking good!

Thanks, Luc. One day at a time, slow and steady progress…

3/16/19 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 2 day 11 squat primary/press secondary

Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Squat:
5x45#
5x95#
5x135#
5x185#
Working sets:
5x225#
3x255#
5x285#

Press (clean 1st rep of every set):
5x45#
5x65#
5x85#
5x105#
working sets:
5x120#
3x140#
1x155#

25# weighted chin-ups 1/2/3/4/5/6/7

Accessory giant set:

1 arm DB press:
10x65#
10x65#
10x65#

Krok rows:
10x75#
10x75#
10x75#

Zercher squats:
5x155#
5x185#
5x215#

Conditioning: Various running, none of it fast - 115m in :40. 400m in 2:17. 1 mile in 9:44.

Lifting felt really good. I had to clean the presses, which takes a little off my set-up. I doubt I could have gotten 5 reps at 155# after cleaning. Having the dip belt made a world of difference on my weighted chin-ups. I was running out of gas on the 215# set of Zercher squats. I had to reset the 5th rep, I lost it forward the first time, didn’t lean back enough.

I was totally out of gas on the running, I knew nothing was going to be fast, so after the 2 short intervals I decided to see if I could push through to get a mile while fatigued. It took me about half of the mile to find the zone, then I was good, the second half was faster than the first half and I could have kept going. Not fast, but I found a stride I can maintain for miles if I start fresh.

7 Likes

Great workout steve.
And now you have a baseline for the running. Trying to beat the time on the mile, quarter mile and the 115 m (which I believe you already have done faster).

I’ve done the 115m and quarter a lot faster recently, but I wasn’t try to go fast yesterday, just warm up for the mile after I realized speed wasn’t on the menu. The mile was pretty close to the same pace I did when I did a 2 mile run about a month ago, but that was fresh, and this was extremely fatigued. I’ll have to do a run only day some time soon and see how well I can do.

3/16/19 food from yesterday

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder. 1 navel orange.

Lunch: 5 oz. grilled salmon. 2 oz. snap peas. 4 oz. fried potato patties.

Snack: .5 cup caramel popcorn.

Pre- workout: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Post-workout: 1 scoop protein powder with 50g oatmeal and 4 oz milk.

Dinner: 5 oz. Salisbury steak. 4 oz. mashed potatoes. 3 oz. broccoli with cheese. 1.5 oz brown gravy.

Totals for today 2245 calories, 193g protein, 189g carbs, 78g fat. 55 calories above baseline, 943 calories below, when corrected for training. Macros were about right. Since I did my shakes around my workout today, I spaced out and forgot to take my ZMA, Curcumin and Fish Oil, woke up a little bit sore for the first time since January. I honestly haven’t had DOMS at all since about the first 2 weeks of the new year. The things I’ve changed are the whole body workouts instead of dedicated press/squat/bench/deadlift day, switched my fish oil to Flameout, started taking Curcumin and started taking Rez-V in the mornings. I wish I’d introduced the changes 1 at a time so I could make a judgement as to which ones were contributing to my lack of soreness the most. I don’t really have DOMS today, just slight soreness that’s only notable because of its absence until now.

3/17/19 morning weigh-in 188.4# Back down again, and hopefully I’ll see 187 or 186 in the numbers this week. Today will be a bit of a cheat day, gotta celebrate St. Patty’s day. Got the kids coming over for corned beef and cabbage, and got some beer in the fridge. Also my Dad’s birthday, so I’ll be paying my respects.

1 Like

3/17/19 food for today

Lunch: 6 oz lean corned beef. 1 serving cooked cabbage, potatoes and carrots. 12 oz. whole milk. 1 dinner roll with butter. 1 small piece pineapple upside-down cake.

Snack: 2 glasses of Irish coffee stout.

Dinner: 3 oz. boneless ribs.

Totals for today 2185 calories, 172g protein, 187g carbs, 65g fat. So, drinking a bunch of calories via a 12 oz glass of milk and 2 12 oz glasses of stout beer really puts a cramp in what I can eat for the rest of the day if I want to keep my calories down. Lunch was quite a hearty meal, though, so I’m not going to bed terribly hungry.

I do feel like I might be coming down with something, I have some sort of respiratory issue going on and a little of that ‘tickle’ that precedes feverishness. Drinking lots of water right now, and I just took some Nyquil, hopefully it doesn’t develop into anything.

2 Likes

3/18/19 morning weigh-in 189.4# I feel like crap this morning, but had to go in to work anyway. I have vendors coming in to do the annual inspections of all my chainfalls and hoists that can’t be sent off-site, so I have to be here to get them going, not something I could delegate. Bleargh… I may leave early after things are rolling.

3 Likes

Feel better man! It’s always the days you can’t take off when you don’t feel well. Happens every time. Get out of there early if you can

Damn Steve get better soon

Hope you feel better soon Steve.

Don’t get sick brother!

So, I went home at lunch, took some Nyquil and a shot of Jack, and laid down for a couple hours. Didn’t really sleep, just sort of drifted in and out, the dogs made sure I wasn’t going to get real sleep. Still feeling like garbage, took some more Nyquil, about to lay down again. I did eat today, scarfed the last of the leftover ribs before laying down, and then the wife made pasta with meat sauce so I had a bowl of that and some garlic bread. At least my appetite isn’t gone.

3/18/19 food for today

Lunch: 4 oz leftover salmon. 13 cherry tomatoes.

Snack: 1 shot Jack Daniels. 4.8 oz boneless ribs.

Dinner: 1 cup penne pasta with meat sauce. 2 pieces of garlic bread. 8 oz milk.

Total for today 2071 calories, 185g protein, 134g carbs, 76g fat.

7 Likes

Still feeling like crap today, a little better this afternoon than this morning, though. Skipped work, took Nyquil and tried to sleep, mostly unsuccessfully.

3/19/19 morning weigh-in 188.2# Weight dropped a little lower, not sure what I expected since I’m probably carrying some inflammation, drank a ton of water yesterday, and ate okay.

3/19/19 food for today

Breakfast: Shake = 1/2 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup water, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder.

Lunch: 1/2 of a Pizza hut Meaty P’Zone. Medium salad = spring mix, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, carrots, onion, pickled beets with ginger dressing.

Dinner: Leftover 6 oz. corned beef. 1 cup cabbage with carrots and potatoes. 2 oz. sweet potato casserole.

Totals for today 1706 calories, 150g protein, 168g carbs, 51g fat. I decided to mix things up a little with the myfitnesspal app, so I reset my starting weight to my current weight and changed my weight loss goal to 1.5 lb/week, so now my calorie target is 1890 calories/day. Couldn’t hit that today, my appetite wasn’t there but I still forced myself to eat some good food. Didn’t plan on the Pizza Hut, but the daughter went and got it for me so I couldn’t say no, she’s trying to help take care of her sick dad…

Edit: Also changed up my breakfast shake, took the egg and half of the milk out, I’ll only do the egg and full milk on training days going forward I think.

3 Likes

All this talking pizza is making me hungry. Please stop it !!!

2 Likes

Feel better, sir. Everyone I know is going through a bit of a cold/sinus infection right now.

Still not feeling healthy, but well enough to go back to work, I guess.

3/20/19 morning weigh-in 189.2#. Not sure how I went up a pound from yesterday. I guess just because I didn’t do anything but lay in bed and cough, and still ate food and drank a ton of water? Ah well, it’ll all even out in the end.

Edited for actual weight… Thanks, Jacko, my brain is still cracked out on Nyquil…

2 Likes

I did that too with my stuff. I barely ate or drank and gained weight. It will come back off quickly

2 Likes