Old Guy Doing 5/3/1

I hit 191.0 one time last week, but then went up the rest of the week. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new downward trend.

3 Likes

They’re playing here tonight but I’m not going. I’m not much of a concert buff. The new arena here isn’t too big (14,000 people out less, I think) so the sound should be good.

My buddy is going and said they’re playing 18 songs!

Try and get some footage Steve at the concert. I’m well jealous lol, that sounds a brilliant night. Some Kirk Hammett guitar solos would be great to capture. One of the best Concerts I went to was a few years ago - Def Leppard with Whitesnake opening. These guys are still rocking strong. Joe Elliott is hitting 60, David Coverdale from Whitesnake is 67 years old. Brilliant night it was

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do. I haven’t ever seen Def Leppard or Whitesnake live, but I did see another Led Zep sound-alike 80’s band, Kingdom Come, back then. I saw a lot of good old bands back in the day, mostly early to late 80’s, but lots of 70’s classic bands were still going then.

3/4/19 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 2 day 6 Deadlift primary/Bench secondary

Warmup: Barbell complex x3 with chinups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Deadlift:
5x45# +2 power cleans
3x95# + 2 power cleans
3x135# + 2 power cleans
3x185#
3x225#
Work sets:
3x275#
Switched to mixed grip
3x315#
3x345#
Joker:
3x365#

Bench:
10x45#
3x65#
3x95#
3x115#
3X135#
Work sets:
3x155#
3x185#
3x200#
3x200#

Chinups: 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

Accessory giant set:

Front squat: 5x135#, 5x155#, 5x185#

35# weighted dips: 10/10/10

Barbell rows 155#: 10/10/10

Conditioning: 20 minutes on the elliptical. 240 calories burned.

I felt lethargic starting out today, probably because I was busy all day and didn’t get my snack until like 15 minutes before going to the gym, probably should have skipped it at that point. Went well once I got going, deadlifts felt easy, front squats were okay after I chalked up, but the first light set sucked because I was wearing a non-cotton shirt and it was slippery, made it hard to hold rack position. Bumped up weight on weighted dips. I’m probably also going to switch to weighted chins on press/squat day, either that or start bumping up the reps.

3/4/19 food for today:

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder. 1 banana.

Lunch: Large salad = spinach, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, olives, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 1 can of tuna with Frank’s Red Hot.

Snack: 1 can of sardines. 1 apple.

Dinner: Crock pot dinner of roast beef with potatoes, carrots and onions, with brown gravy made from the juice. I controlled my portion size, but it wasn’t easy because this was delicious.

Bedtime: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Totals for today 2223 calories, 180g protein, 173g carbs, 93g fat. 33 calories over target, 898 calories under target corrected for calories burned with exercise.

6 Likes

Great session steve

Thanks, Rob. Strength is still coming back nicely, even with a calorie deficit. I’m expecting to hit a wall at some point where I stop getting stronger, and I’m at about 90% if where I was pre-layoff, so it’ll probably happen in the next couple cycles.

3/5/19 morning weigh-in 191.0# Dammit, the 191 barrier continues to defy me! I want to see 190.x on the scale.

3 Likes

Hitting a barrier is frustrating! Try cutting fat to maybe 75 grams and I bet you start moving again. I’d cut that down before dunking your carbs any further. Workouts are looking solid Steve

1 Like

I like your elliptical better than the one I use. 16 minutes was 169 calories yesterday. I’ll enter my weight today and see if that makes that number higher (as if it’s accurate anyway lol).

You’ll get there. You’re still trending downward, right? Maybe you’ll skip 190 and go straight to 189 one of these days. I was stuck at 227 for almost two weeks and then I skipped straight to 223-224; never saw 226 or 225 on the scale.

I’m pretty sure that drop occurred after adjusting my macros and total calories. I had been skipping meals to lose faster and it quit working.

My macro breakdown is 250 C, 69 F, 219 P for 2500 calories. @jackolee might be right. Drop the fat a little and increase the protein and/or carbs. It might be just enough of a change to get you going again. Maybe you’re just stagnant?

Wasn’t your last good week when you traveled and ate differently?

2 Likes

I’ve been losing consistently since then, but at a slower pace. That week was the last big drop, and I was consistently eating about 1800 calories/day. I also didn’t train for 5 days, except one running session. When I’m driving all day I don’t think about eating as much, and when I train hard my appetite goes up. I think Jacko might be onto something with cutting back on the fat. I may have to drop the whole milk from my breakfast shake, and drop the amount of olive oil in my lunch salad, because dinner is whatever the wife is cooking, so there’s going to be some fat there sometimes.

3 Likes

3/5/19 food for today:

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder.

Lunch: Large salad = spinach, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, olives, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 1 can of salmon with Frank’s Red Hot.

Dinner: Leftover crock pot dinner of roast beef with potatoes, carrots and onions, with brown gravy made from the juice. Pretty much exactly what I ate last night.

Bedtime: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Totals for today 1850 calories, 167g protein, 130g carbs, 74g fat. Almost 350 calories below target, I reduced my fat some, and didn’t have any fruit today. I had plenty of veggies, though, and again feeling satisfied after dinner. I was hungry most of the day. My breakfast shake had almost as many calories as my dinner did, but wasn’t nearly as satisfying. My lunch was way more volume with my salad, but again, not as satisfying. Maybe I need something starchy to feel ‘full’, I don’t know…

2 Likes

I do. Chicken and potatoes feels a lot better than chicken and veggies.

3 Likes

There are certain times in the day when I want to feel satisfied. Mine are with breakfast and again before bed. I allocate more calories for breakfast because I enjoy the foods more, and then simply make a large shake that isn’t very calorie dense right before bed. It’s sweet and helps me go to bed feeling full. During the day when I’m busy I generally don’t mind feeling hungry. I eat regurarly enough that no mater how hungry I am there’s either a shake or a meal within an hour or so.

3 Likes

3/6/19 morning weigh-in 190.4# Wohoo, finally crossed that line!

I think you guys are right, and I’m okay with feeling hungry during the day as long as I’ve gotten in enough fuel to keep me going, which honestly my breakfast shake does even if I don’t feel full. I think a nice, home-cooked dinner like I’m dong is perfect for me. Of course, tonight is the concert, so I have no idea at this point what my food for tonight is going to look like… I’ll play it by ear.

7 Likes

I’ve work man! I haven’t sold out to lose weight like I should be doing.

Well, if your goal is to get the highest total you can in October, without sweating what weight class you’ll be competing in, you’re probably doing the right thing. You’re not gaining weight, and you’re definitely getting stronger.

1 Like

Yeah Steve, I’m still struggling to get under 181.
It’s fun to follow all of us dieting and losing weight… that is except Mark and the Hog.
Go have fun at the concert, have a couple of nice cold beers and enjoy.

It’s Metallica so it better include shots, and some beer!

I’m not losing any weight either! haha

I planned on it, but figured I should at least stay at maintenance to give the Conjugate Method a proper trial.

2 Likes

Show’s about to start.

2x$10, 24 oz beers in.

7 Likes