T Nation

Old Guy Trying to Get Lean for T-ransformation2019

t-ransformation2019

I’ve been wondering to what degree I should try to pump right before stage time. I’m thinking chest, delts, lats. That would get me some tricep and biceps along the way. I’ll ask my coach as well. Probably should bring some resistance bands

I know bodybuilders pump before a competition, so it makes sense for physique competitors as well.

Nice ride Steve :slight_smile:
and a cute dog, what breed would that be? I like the bendy ear is it a pup?

He’s a mutt that I rescued from a shelter. Best we can figure, he’s half German shepherd and half Anatolian Shepherd. He has one bendy ear, the other one is half off from a fight with one of our other dogs. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had. He’s 8-ish years old right now.

2/27/19 morning weigh-in 191.2#

Was up and down all night last night, and feel like garbage right now, massive headache. I called off the first few hours of work, but now I have to go in. I have a meeting and training all afternoon on the new database software we’re switching to at the plant, and I’m program owner for several of the databases that are getting rolled into this new software, so it’s a can’t miss thing. Bleagh… Also supposed to train this afternoon, bench/deadlift, but if I don’t feel better by the end of work I’ll push that off to tomorrow.

Feel better man! Probably good to listen to your body and rest. Hydrate well… tomorrow’s a new day

I drank about a half-gallon of water and ate some good food for my half-day at work, the vendor was catering. So, I felt good enough to hit the gym when I got off.

2/27/19 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 2 day 4 Bench primary/Deadlift secondary

Warmup: Barbell complex x3 with chinups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Bench:
10x45#
5x65#
5x95#
5x115#
Work sets:
5X145#
5x165#
10x185#

Chinups: 2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Deadlift:
5x45# +2 power cleans
5x95# + 2 power cleans
5x135# + 2 power cleans
5x185#
Work sets
5x245#
Switched to mixed grip
5x285#
5x325#

Accessory giant set:

Front squat: 5x135#, 5x155#, 5x185#

Dips: 15/15/20

Barbell rows 155#: 10/10/15

Conditioning: Semi-sprints alternating 1/2/1/2/1 laps = 115/130m legs. Splits: :41, 1:17, :34, 1:07, :29, :58, :27. Still nowhere near a real sprint, but I did each split at a faster pace than the one before, and I’m getting up where I have to slow down in the corners, so that’s a good thing.

10x185# was a struggle, I would have stopped at 9 if I didn’t have a spotter. I also experimented with doing my protein/creatine shake before my workout today, to see if I could see a difference, before I go and invest in some plazma. It gives me 18g sugar and 30g protein, pretty much flipping the macros of plazma, but I wanted to see how a sugar and protein shot before training felt, and it actually made a difference, I felt a lot fresher for the accessory giant set and the conditioning. My calves wanted to cramp up on my first 230m split, but they were fine after that.

2/27/29 food for today

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder. 1 navel orange.

Lunch: Bowl of steak fajita meat with onions and peppers. Bowl of salad = cucumber, carrot, tomatoes, onions, boiled egg crumbles. Small bag of Fritos.

Pre-workout snack: 1.5 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Dinner: Leftovers = 2 broiled pork chops. Braised snap peas. Steamed carrots

Totals for today 1916 calories, 210g protein, 110g carbs, 60g fat. Really light on calories today, especially with it being a training day. The company that’s trying to sell us this new software suite catered lunch today, and it was good but odd. They had steak fajita meat, chicken fajita meat and carnitas, and all the veggies to make a good fajita or taco, but no tortillas. Instead, they had gigantic baked potatoes to put all the stuff on, which didn’t appeal to me at all. Instead, I got a bowl of fajita meat, a bowl a veggies, and a bag of fritos as it was the closest thing to a tortilla available. Feeling full and satisfied after dinner.

Damn you Steve :slight_smile: I love your setup for the workouts :slight_smile:

I must resist the urge to change my program.
Oh nice workout 10 x 185 is damn good on a day that started the way it did.

Remember, part of my motivation in implementing this program came from you and your doing Brian Alsruhe’s Darkhorse program. This program meets my goals right now, giving me conditioning, less frequent training, and maintaining strength. Do the program that meets your goals and that you can do consistently, but I’m definitely enjoying this one right now.

2/28/19 morning weigh-in 191.6# Another blip in the wrong direction, but I did get up in the middle of the night and had a glass of water. That sub-191 reading remains elusive, but my average for the week will be a solid 1lb under last week’s anyway.

I wouldn’t expect 18g of carbs to do much for you. I try to read a lot about nutrition. It’s very complex and I’ll probably never understand it, but the common recommendation for pre and post workout nutrition has been 40g protein and 60g carbs.

According to Dr Schoenfeld you need protein in four hour windows so if you eat at noon and train at 3pm then you don’t need to eat protein until after your workout (unless you’re going to be there for hours).

I don’t recall a guideline (from him) about carb timing but it takes close to an hour to digest your food and use it, so consuming carbs 45-60 minutes prior to training is probably ideal.

I definitely notice a difference in my workouts based on my nutrition. I still haven’t perfectly solved the riddle though.

I’ve been trying to get a carb/protein snack in about an hour before I train, because I eat lunch around 1130 and don’t train until 5:30-ish, but it’s usually been around 15g protein and 20g carbs. I’m thinking about getting some Plazma and trying it out at flipcollar’s recommendation, and that gives 38g carbs and 15g protein, and you drink that pre- and intra-workout. I’m sure you’re right and the higher carb count will make more of a difference.

I always use the quick acting carbs around workouts and the slow release for the later meals. I use Vitargo intra and a big load of coco pops pre, then rice, oats, sweet potatoes post. I’m trying to gain though, different approach to you Steve. You have limited carbs to spread around.

True, but I’m not specifically trying to restrict carbs, I’m just focusing on getting enough protein, and keeping calories within target.

2/28/19 food for today:

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder. 1 navel orange.

Lunch: Large salad = spinach, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, onion, olives, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 1 can of tuna with Frank’s Red Hot.

Snack: 1 cup of unshelled cajun peanuts - holy cow, almost 400 calories when I put it in the app. I figured unshelled I’d get a little less, but I guess I overdid it.

Dinner: The last 2 leftover pork chops. Medium salad = spring mix, carrots, cucumber, onions, bell pepper, olive, no dressing.

Bedtime: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine.

Totals for today 2082 calories, 168g protein, 136g carbs, 97g fat. I really shot the fat budget with 2 tbsp olive oil with the lunch salad, then then by bingeing on peanuts in the afternoon. Kept calories under budget by going really light on dinner. The spicy cajun peanuts were delicious, but I probably should have been a little more moderate with my consumption.

That’s what I’m doing and by default, carbs keep taking the hit.

This salad sounds really frickin’ good.

That, and some sort of canned meat with Frank’s Red Hot sauce, has been my lunch pretty much every day at work since about the first of the year. It’s good, and since I don’t do it on the weekends, I generally don’t get bored of it. Yesterday was an exception because some jerk heated up some pizza in the break room while I was preparing it, and I was seriously craving some pizza.

I don’t seem to be having much trouble with carbs, with the way I’ve been eating. If I go high anywhere, it’s fairly consistently fat that I go overboard on.

3/1/19 morning weigh-in 191.8# So, it looks like getting a sub-191 weight isn’t in the cards this week, unless I have a big drop tomorrow morning. I suspect I went way over my sodium budget yesterday with all the peanuts I ate. It didn’t show up in my app, but the cajun spice on the peanuts was definitely salt-heavy. It looks like I’ll weigh in right at 1 lb down from last week on average. I’d like to see another 2+ lb drop like last week, but I think that was an anomaly.

We’re in it for the longer run Steve, I think dropping slowly will preserve at least some muscles.
You’re doing great man.

I know, I’m not panicking. 1 lb a week will get me where I want to be.

3/1/19 food for today:

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 1/2 scoop protein powder.

Skipped lunch.

Dinner: Cup of miso soup. Small mostly lettuce salad with ginger dressing. 6 raw oysters. 15 pieces of sushi. 1/2 of a J J roll.

Bedtime: 1 scoop protein powder with creatine. 1 navel orange.

Totals for today 2006 calories, 191g protein, 190g carbs, 55g fat. My son-in-law had surgery today, so I spent the day up in Topeka mostly sitting in the hospital. Took my daughter out to dinner for sushi after he came out of surgery and was settled in his room with his morphine pump. Brought him a little sushi back as well, since he has no dietary restrictions. He’ll be going home tomorrow.

I’m in the same boat, but dammit, I’m ready to eat more. I know that my new maintenance will only be a few hundred extra calories but that can go a long ways.