Old Guy Doing 5/3/1

I got you all right, total sense to me.

For the calories of fast food, I think they are not telling the whole truth :slight_smile: But I’m not sure. Whenever I eat fast food I end up heavy, but it could be a lot of salt.

You could be right on either of those reasons. Normally I wouldn’t subsist solely on fast food, but the wife and I were both sick yesterday, so my daughter fed us.

1 Like

We need fast food every now and then, can’t just eat lettuce and tuna :slight_smile:

I totally agree, but it’s not so good when it’s the only food you consume in a day. Of course, a double meat subway sandwich with no cured meats, and all the veggies, isn’t so bad on the fast food spectrum.

1/22/18 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 1 day 1 press primary/squat secondary - Weight 199#

Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/1/1

Giant set 1:
Press:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
working sets:
5x105#
5x120#
9x135#

Chin-ups 2/3/4/5/6/7

Squat:
5x45#
5x95#
5x135#
5x185#
5x215#
5x235#

Accessory giant set:

1 arm DB press:
10x50#
10x50#
10x50#

Krok rows:
10x60#
10x60#
10x60#

Zercher squats:
5x135#
5x155#
5x155#

Conditioning: 20 minutes elliptical, 202 calories burned, and max heart rate of 172 during the high speed parts of the program. I had planned on keeping my heart rate below 160, but I could barely get it down to 150 during the slow speed intervals, since I jumped on the elliptical right after I finished unloading the weights.

Weighed in again post-workout, came in at 198#, so I sweated off a pound of weight, and that’s with sipping water between sets.

Edit: Also timed this one, but forgot to post it here. 1:03 including warm-up and conditioning.

4 Likes

Food for today

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. Forgot to get a fruit this morning.

Lunch: Large salad = baby spinach, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, radish, onion, mushroom, tomato, olive oil and vinegar. 1 can tuna in olive oil. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

Dinner: 3 tacos = grilled corn tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, onion, tomato, cheese, seasoned ground beef. 12 oz glass of whole milk. 6 large tortilla chips with guacamole.

2 Likes

Ohh you’re giant setting the two main movements.
Saves some time I guess. Smart move.

Well, it’s a trade-off, not sure if it’s smart or not, time will tell. I will definitely not make rapid strength gains right now, but my primary goal is conditioning and body recomp, at least until June 1st. The idea got prompted by a CT article on this site about alternating upper and lower in a workout, and the effects on blood flow and fat mobilization. That, coupled with the giant set principles in systems like Dark Horse, got me to where I am. If it starts getting to be too much as the weight goes up, I can back off on the weights I use on the ‘off’ main exercise. It’s way early in the process right now, so I’ll make adjustments as I go.

Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. 1 apple.

Lunch: Large salad = baby spinach, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, radish, onion, mushroom, tomato, olive oil and vinegar. 2 cans of sardines, 1 in oil, one in mustard. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

Snack: Small handful of mixed nuts. 6 large tortilla chips with guacamole. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

Dinner: Small piece of meatloaf. 8 Brussels sprouts. Small serving of baby carrots. 1 roll with butter. Small piece of my granddaughter’s birthday cake, shared with my wife.

1 Like

1/24/19 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 1 day 2 Bench secondary/Deadlift primary - Weight 199#

Warmup: Barbell complex x3 with chinups 1/1/1

Main giant set:

Bench:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
5x115#
5X135#
5x155#
5x185#

Chinups: 2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Deadlift:
5x45# +2 power cleans
5x95# + 2 power cleans
5x135# + 2 power cleans
5x185#
5x225#
Switched to mixed grip
5x275#
8x315#

Accessory giant set:

Front squat: 5x115#, 5x135#, 5x135#

Dips: 15/15/15

Barbell rows 135#: 10/10/10

Conditioning: 20 minutes elliptical, 207 calories burned, and max heart rate of 170 during the high speed parts of the program. More calories and better heart rate than Tuesday.

Weighed in again post-workout, 198# again. I added in another set of power cleans at 135#, felt fast and strong. I also bumped up the weight on the front squat a bit. I could have gotten another 1-2 reps on last set of deadlifts, but I was actually getting a little gassed. I may want to move things around when appropriate so I do whichever lift is the main lift for the day first in the giant set, so I’m not as winded on the max reps set.

4 Likes

Great stuff man! Keep kicking ass

Thanks, man! The hardest part of this t-ransformation challenge is going to be being patient, I think, and recognizing when I need to dial it back. I’m not used to operating in a caloric deficit.

Food for today -
Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. 1 kiwi.

Lunch: Large salad = cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, radish, onion, mushroom, tomato, olive oil and vinegar. 1 can tuna with olive oil. 12 oz glass of whole milk. Didn’t finish the salad until later.

Snack: Finished the salad from lunch. 1 can sardines in mustard. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

Dinner: Blackened pork chop. blackened roasted vegetables = sweet potato, yellow bell pepper, onion.

2 Likes

I thought you did that… I think it’s wise to do that.
Nice DL: 8 reps and more being a bit fresher I like it.

Yeah, I don’t know why I didn’t think to do that in the first place, probably just because I’ve gotten into a routine, which can turn into a rut if you stop thinking…

I’m happy where I am strength-wise for right now, but I’m a far cry away from doing singles of wagon wheel deadlift at 475#, which is where I was in October. Like I said, the hardest thing for me right now is going to be patience. I have to remember what my goals are, and max strength is on the back burner until June.

I ate a lot today, but I don’t think too much. The wife and I went to Topeka to get some things done, and we ate out at an Indian buffet place that has some great food.

Food for today -
Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. 1 grapefruit.

Snack: some pickled stuff from my jars o’ Amish pickled stuff. 4 tortilla chips with guacamole.

Lunch: Indian food = 4 different chicken dishes, 1 with saffron rice, 2 with different curry type sauces, and one barbecued with no extras. 3 different veggie dishes, one with green beans, one with peas, and one with peppers and potatoes. All the veggies were in a curry type sauce. 2 pieces of fresh naan bread. Not too much of any one thing, this all fit on one (very crowded) plate. Definitely over 1,000 calories, this is the most food I’ve eaten in a single sitting this year.

Snack: Small cappuccino.

Dinner: Small piece of meat loaf. Stir-fried mixed veggies = carrots, squash, onions and mushrooms.

So, some extra food at lunch, but I also shaved off 450 calories by not having my 2x12 oz whole milk at lunch and dinner. Maybe a wash?

2 Likes

Don’t freak out if the weight is a bit high in the morning, just salt, I find that if I eat out there’s a lot of salt and I end up high in weight the next morning.
Sounds like a good night out there Steve, well deserved

1/26/18 5/3/1 full body giant sets cycle 1 day 3 squat primary/press secondary - Weight 198.2#

Warmup: barbell complex x3 with chin-ups 1/1/1

Giant set 1:
Press:
5x45#
5x65#
5x95#
working sets:
5x105#
5x120#
5x135#

Chin-ups 2/3/4/5/6/7

Squat:
5x45#
5x95#
5x120#
5x135#
5x185#
5x215#
10x235#

Accessory giant set:

1 arm DB press:
10x50#
10x50#
10x60#

Krok rows:
10x60#
10x60#
10x70#

Zercher squats:
5x135#
5x155#
5x175#

Conditioning: 1 mile = 14 laps = 28 sprints of ‘run the straights, walk the curves’.

Total time 1:06.

Main giant set wasn’t completely a giant set. Rec center gym only has 1 rack, so I was alternating press and squat on the same bar, so I skipped some of the intermediate weights on squat, and then the last 3 sets of squat were squat-only. 10 reps went up pretty easy. I also bumped up the weight on the last set of DB press/row/Zercher squat since I’m feeling better about the weights.

Stopped and got a bathroom scale on the way home today, since I’ve been weighing on 2 different scales depending on which gym I’m in. I don’t know how accurate it is, but at least it’s repeatable from what I can tell, and not far off from the rec center scale. I weighed 198.2 on the rec center scale with shirt, gym shorts and shoes on. I weighed 197.6 on the new scale without shoes, and 196.8 down to my skivvies after I took a shower. I’ll start weighing in every morning first thing so I have a consistent time of the day for better tracking.

3 Likes

Food for today -
Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. 1 mandarin orange.

Lunch: Small piece of meatloaf. pickled beets, garlic, peppers and onions. 2 boiled eggs. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

Snack: 7 tortilla chips with guacamole. Small handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner: Leftover blackened pork chop. Blackened roasted vegetables = sweet potato, yellow bell pepper, onion. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

2 Likes

Woke up at 196.2#. This is the lightest I’ve been so far, but also the first time I’ve weighed myself first thing in the morning, so we’ll see how the trend goes when I’m weighing myself every morning. 7.8# drop since January 1st, but accounting for about 2# of gym clothes, and about a .5# difference between nighttime weighing and morning weighing, I’m going to guess I’ve actually dropped closer to 5#. Daily measurements with the same scale at the same time will give me more accurate and precise tracking. Rest day today and tomorrow, although I may do the PiYo exercises with my wife as active recovery.

edit for typo.

2 Likes

Food for today -
Breakfast: Shake = 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 1 scoop quick oats, 1 scoop protein powder. 1 grapefruit.

Snack: 1 date. small handful of mixed nuts.

Lunch: Leftovers = Meatloaf, cooked cabbage, black beans and rice with sausage, carrots (small portions on everything, took up less than a full snack sized/child plate). 12 oz glass of whole milk.

Snack: 6 Ritz crackers with cheese.

Dinner: 1/2 of a medium rare ribeye steak (~8 oz). Brussels sprouts. 12 oz glass of whole milk.

1 Like

Hey. Did you ever decide to come to the old man lifting club meet on October 5? I’ve got another buddy that will be there is going to be a great meet!

I can recommend a place to stay. There are some great reasonable rooms there. And an awesome place to grab a terrific burger…