8/18/18 5/3/1 cycle 3 day 1
Warmup: barbell complex 3x with chin-ups 1/2/3
superset with chin-ups 4/5/6/7/8/9
DB overhead press per arm: 10x50#, 10x60#, 10x70# (push press on the 70#)
superset with Kroc rows per arm: 10x60#, 10x70#, 10x80#
DB concentration curls 20#: 10/10
superset with DB tricep extensions 20#: 10/10
So, I’m changing a few thing around in the interest of prepping for events that I know about in advance. Here are the changes I’m thinking right now, although it will be subject to change based on results and me learning something else. I’m sticking with the 5/3/1 core exercises, but I’m changing:
- On press day I’m going to do some push presses, to get myself back into the groove of explosive overhead work.
- On press and bench day, I’ll start working in a little bit of light direct arm work, mostly to prehab my elbow since I’m afraid that’s going to be my weak link on the Conan wheel.
- On squat day, instead of doing FSL squats after the main lift, I’m going to start learning how to do Zercher squats.
- On bench day, I’m going to throw in 3x5 overhead press after the main exercise, just to get some more overhead volume in.
- On deadlift day, I’m going to do some direct core work (already doing it on squat day).
- One day a week, I plan to hit a strongman gym, either Strength Guild in Topeka or Stone and Barbell in KC, and do implement work. This probably means I’m going to stretch my 5/3/1 work out to 3 days per week, so one cycle will take 4 weeks instead of 3, to make sure I’m giving myself enough time to recover.
Oh, almost forgot my notes for today. I was really happy with the push press, considering how pre-fatigued my arms were after 10x145# strict press. I need to work more on my dip as I extend my arms, and I’ll be doing over 200# no problem. The curls and triceps extensions were slow and deliberate, making sure to fully stretch the muscle at the end of each rep. I’m betting my arms are what’s going to be sore tomorrow, since I’m not used to even light direct arm work. I could feel the burn…