Old Farts and Making Progress

Am I making progress and gains? Absolutely. Did they come faster in my 20’s? Hell yes they did! But I’m a lot more focused and dedicated at 47 than I was at 22. I’m a better lifter today.

I couldn’t agree more willy. The performance that we lose to age is made up for with determination and smarts. We can’t always work harder, but we can work with more focus.

I’ve also had to focus more on the recovery aspect of training. Nutrition, sleep, stretching, tissue work, and mobility work are as important as the lifting.

Watching young guys jump on the bench, and their first set is 225 makes MY shoulders hurt. I still lift heavy, but I got to sneak up on it. There is stretching and warm up sets that used to be a waste of time when I was a youngun.

[quote]greystoke wrote:
Watching young guys jump on the bench, and their first set is 225 makes MY shoulders hurt. I still lift heavy, but I got to sneak up on it. There is stretching and warm up sets that used to be a waste of time when I was a youngun.[/quote]

I don’t know what happened or how I started another thread! Damn techno stuff. I always say age and experience trumps youth and exuberance. I have to sneak up on any weight, heavy or light!