T Nation

Old Broads and Weight Training

Before I get too far into this stuff - will I be waisting time? Is there any reality to muscle building at my age? I’m not overweight, just want some definition. Please advise, someone, on what I need to do -remembering my gender and age. I go to gym 3 days a week now-doing cardio on treadmill for 20 min. and some weight/machines. Any advice will be appreciated.

Wasting time? Definitely not. The hormones released during weight training combined with your body’s reaction to the extra stress on bones and ligaments makes weight training beneficial at any age. Well, unless you’re in a nursing home, maybe.

My wife is 53 and works out 3 to 4 times a week. She is building muscle too, so go for it!

BG

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Wasting time? Definitely not. The hormones released during weight training combined with your body’s reaction to the extra stress on bones and ligaments makes weight training beneficial at any age. Well, unless you’re in a nursing home, maybe.[/quote]

No need for the “unless.”

Actually the older people are, the more practical and health benefit they get from an effective degree of exercise for them.

Rather than simply being an ego thing, or being able to do fairly-rarely-done things better, the difference from having exercised starts affecting daily life and how one feels every minute of the day more and more.

While the OP is not at the point, and with exercise need not get there, where she cannot carry a bag of groceries in to the house but has to bring them in one item at a time, cannot go upstairs or finds it extremely hard, etc, the elderly who do not do resistance training tend to find themselves in this spot.

Muscle building will not occur relative to when much younger, but having more muscle and strength compared to not exercising absolutely does occur, and the difference is a very important one.

It’s far better to do as this woman is doing and get started now than to wait till quality of life issues start attacking. But it’s never a waste of time at any point short of other conditions leaving things hopeless.

I think you will be getting some convincing answers, so all that is left for me to say is: Enjoy your new obsession. :wink:

BE VERY CAREFUL LIFTING HEAVY WEIGHTS!!!
You could be bitten by the “heavy lifting bug”. The disease is highly contageous and for some unknown reason addictive. Worse than crack.

Go to the Powerful Women thread - lots of old broads there. I’m gonna get banned for sure.

TNT

TNT

Not to mention that load bearing exercises have been shown to increase bone density. If you stay away from fitness rags and know that lifting more than 5 lb dumb bells is good for you then you may end up having a great time.

I have a very good friend who trains many “old broads” - she specializes in women over 45 as well as younger women who have NEVER seen a gym. As soon as she starts increasing weights eyebrows get raised. After a few months clients beg to add weight to the bar because it gets them results.

Advice - throw out what you know and start over with an open mind. Suzanne Sommers doesn’t know anything and “tone” is not a state of being.

I am a younger guy who for some time was wasting his time. I set a simple goal. Get as strong as I can get at xxx pounds.

I am stronger, leaner, healthier and happier than I have EVER been.

It is fun too.

[quote]glamgram wrote:
Before I get too far into this stuff - will I be waisting time? Is there any reality to muscle building at my age? I’m not overweight, just want some definition. Please advise, someone, on what I need to do -remembering my gender and age.[/quote]

Call me crazy, but I don’t see you actually mention your age. Based on your profile picture, I’d guess mid-forties or so. No, I’m not just trying to win brownie points. :wink:

In any case, like the guys have said so far, there’s no reason at all you can’t be building muscle and strength.

Some reading you should probably check out:
“The Secrets of Fabulously Fit Fifty-somethings”

“Slim, Strong, Sexy, and Over Fifty: Case Studies”

“Five Training Principles for Fitness at Fifty-Plus”

They cover some ideas on nutrition and training you might want to consider.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
BE VERY CAREFUL LIFTING HEAVY WEIGHTS!!!
You could be bitten by the “heavy lifting bug”. The disease is highly contageous and for some unknown reason addictive. Worse than crack.

Go to the Powerful Women thread - lots of old broads there. I’m gonna get banned for sure.

TNT[/quote]

Hey now!

I saw Regina Hackney lift last weekend. She will be 70 next week. She has better musculature than I do.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
JayPierce wrote:
Wasting time? Definitely not. The hormones released during weight training combined with your body’s reaction to the extra stress on bones and ligaments makes weight training beneficial at any age. Well, unless you’re in a nursing home, maybe.

No need for the “unless.”

[/quote]

Feeble attempt at trying to drive a point home at 4am. I was merely saying (well, trying to) that unless you’re already at the point where resistance training is a detriment to your bone structure, go for it.

Agreed.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
glamgram wrote:
Before I get too far into this stuff - will I be waisting time? Is there any reality to muscle building at my age? I’m not overweight, just want some definition. Please advise, someone, on what I need to do -remembering my gender and age.

Call me crazy, but I don’t see you actually mention your age. Based on your profile picture, I’d guess mid-forties or so. No, I’m not just trying to win brownie points. :wink:

In any case, like the guys have said so far, there’s no reason at all you can’t be building muscle and strength.

They cover some ideas on nutrition and training you might want to consider.[/quote]

Nah. Judging from the picture, I would guess 26 or 27. How many brownie points do I get???

TNT

Bottm line, there are no rules. Just go for it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
glamgram wrote:
Before I get too far into this stuff - will I be waisting time? Is there any reality to muscle building at my age? I’m not overweight, just want some definition. Please advise, someone, on what I need to do -remembering my gender and age.

They cover some ideas on nutrition and training you might want to consider.[/quote]

her profile says she’s an old broad but her picture says she’s a HOTTIIE!

Have fun with your new hobbie

Seriously… I’d hit it… :wink:

That was rude… :smiley:

You’re not ‘old’ at all… :smiley: Start readin’ and get into it!! :smiley:

You should post up your stats…

Height:
Goals:

And perhaps some pics of your physique… we’ll help ya out! :smiley:

The hottest women at the last two gyms I have been a member of were over the age of 38 (38 and 42 to be exact) they squated, benched, deadlifted, and did lunges and had bodies that made the teen/twenty year old girls jealous and their husbands proud.

so no, its not do late and you def wont regret it !!

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Feeble attempt at trying to drive a point home at 4am. I was merely saying (well, trying to) that unless you’re already at the point where resistance training is a detriment to your bone structure, go for it.[/quote]

actually, recent research in bone density has shown that resistance training and vibrational training (its a wacky gismo you stand on that vibrates to simulate and activity like jumping for old people) has been shown to encourage bone’s to grow / become more dense and may cure ostioporosis.

Had a seminar here last week by a professor who is doing research on it…

[quote]glamgram wrote:
Before I get too far into this stuff - will I be waisting time? Is there any reality to muscle building at my age? I’m not overweight, just want some definition. Please advise, someone, on what I need to do -remembering my gender and age. I go to gym 3 days a week now-doing cardio on treadmill for 20 min. and some weight/machines. Any advice will be appreciated.[/quote]

http://strengthdoc.blogspot.com/2008/03/weightlifting-and-seniors.html

Dr Maria Fiatarone of Tufts University published a hallmark study tied to this question with nursing home residents over 90 years old. Ninety years old! Her 10 week, high intensity program created average strength gains of 174%, better walking speed and increased spontaneous activity.

The authors concluded that ??high-resistance weight training leads to significant gains in muscle strength, size, and functional mobility among frail residents of nursing homes up to 96 years of age.?

gogo