Old, Beginner, Trainwreck

Little info first… The closest gym is an anytime time fitness 30 miles away. In the opposite direction of my work. There are a couple kids that have a crossfit thing going in town, but i refuse to pay $150/month for someone to tell me to do burpees. Not knocking it, just not my thang, besides my tractor tire is twice the size of theirs…lol

So, have a collection of mostly thrift store and garage sale junk to work with. No smith machines, pec decs etc. I started out with two 5 lb dumbbells, and have worked my up from there. Built a green house a few years ago unaware of the devastating drought that was about strike. Greenhouse is now my gym. So, if you wonder where my logic is… All I can say is I do the best I can with what I got.

Anyway… This is what I managed to squeak out today.

5 mins elliptical ( i get bored)
3x3 neutral grip chins
10 push ups
10x10@ 100 LPD
10x10@100 SCR
5x10@50 TPD
5x10@20 LyTriExt

The rest consisted of assembling a 14 tramp for my lil dudes bday. I just did not eat enough yesterday, and can’t get in the zone today.

I haven’t haunted these boards in YEARS until someone revamped some old threads I got notifications of “updates”. I read your thread here and had a good laugh (seriously)… I’m 47 as well (now) and I’ve been lifting since I was a kid… Some of the crap the keyboards wannabies spout off will do nothing but get you injured and definitely not achieving your goals (hell, it won’t put any size on their buck-twenty frames either)…

Loved your post about the idiot telling you to do 3 sets of not being fat. I nearly spat out my water laughing. I have a hard time doing pull-up’s - I must be a fast bastard at 5’7, 185 and 12% bodyfat right now. I’ll take that goon lifting anytime and he can warm up with me. I’ll throw my 3 plates on the bar for presses and see if he can do that…

Can’t stand the haters and for the most part, 99% of them have no clue out bodybuilding, power lifting, strength training, conditioning, fat loss, AAS cycles and post-cycles, nutrition, etc.

Anyways, sorry to go on and on - I just loved your thread… made me feel good…

Best advice I can give you - if you have musculature issues or imbalances, I’d spend $100 and get someone to check you out and work with someone that knows what they’re doing and help you out. The program the 18 year old wanniebie is telling you to do, might work for him/her, but it sure as heck won’t work for someone at 47… It’s so much harder for us to gain/lose/maintain with the decline in hormone levels and we’re prone to injury due to the volume/weight ratio that most of these programs suggest. Again, great for a 18-25 year old or pre-35 running AAS, but after 40 it’s a different ballgame…

Glad to see you lifting and getting into shape, it’s an amazing journey at any age!

:slight_smile:

Glad you had a good laugh, it really is good medicine. And yes, I have already learned a few lessons on this trip trying to follow some BS advice. This will be my third round and gojng to try to do it right this time. Had to take a break for a while and get my weight back up. Good news is… I think at least everything is healed up, well expect the left foot. I would love for that to be some heroic lifting injury, but i trppied over the cat and full gainer into my front lawn…lol.

Oh well, it’s been three weeks now so I will try squats again tomorrow.

I live in BFE, i can’t even find a person here to carry on a decent conservation with, much less anyone to fix me…lol but thanks for the advice and the most importantly the encouraging words.

Wait… You’re in Nebraska!!!

lol

You’re home gym sounds cool

If you’re having trouble with chins/pullups, try changing grip position. Palms facing each other is easiest. After awhile move into the wider ones.

No, worse. Central Texas…lol It’s beautiful right now, but an economic wasteland. Just another dying town. My mom even says it’s too late for the defibrilator…lol

I am hoping to enlarge it, and build a better setup this summer. For now I need to make some adjustments on my homemade power rack. I mismearsured the cross members, my bad!

Thanks biker. I can FINALLY squeeze out some chins and neutral grip chins. Been doing negatives on the wide grips. But, I am working with old, worn out shit, so it may take a lil longer…lol

Well… That sucked!
DL 10@65
5@105
5@125
5@140
5@150

Just don’t think this evening thing is working out for me.

I think those pull numbers look pretty good.

Thanks! Starting over…again! Trying to get some real numbers for 1 RMs.

Tonite went better. Anger is a mighty powerful force. If the dumbass at the hardware store makes one more snide comment about the way I look, I am going to need somebody on here to start a gofundme page for my bail. One more, and I am going over the counter and bust him in mouth!..lol anyways…

In my pursuit of determing real RMs

BB bench

10@35
5@45
5@45
5@50
2@55
5@45
5@45

Got another rep at 55!!! Yay me!

My week started off pretty crappy. Some mean old critter killed my lil duck, my neighbor shot into the flock of wild turkeys that’s been coming around, and other rude peeps in general. Figured out, I am just angry at myself.

I lost quite a bit on my deadlift due to taking time off, but have gained on my bench, and actually hit 100 on my squats tonite!!! No big deal for you guys, but a big HELL YEAH for me. ( I scared myself last year when imy foot slipped and ended up under the bar, with nobody to help.) this has been the " missing link" for me.

I hope i finally broke the mental barrier!

Squats
10@50
5@65
5@75
5@85
1@95
2@100

It IS a big deal!

Everyone is different. The fact you improved over where YOU were is the important thing.

Good job.

Thanks 2busy. Maybe my thunder thighs will live again after all!..lol

Congratulations on breaking the squat barrier!

Thanks kpsnap! Maybe, just maybe, it can manage 180 by my 48th bday!

A 180 squat? Boy, that would be impressive.

That’s what i have set the goal at. All i can do is try. My legs have always been my strong point. I am hoping they remember…lol might be too old…nah!

Too old???

You’re just 29 with 18 years of experience.

Youngster.

Hahahahaaa! That’s it!