Old, Beginner, Trainwreck

I do my hip trusters on DL days ( when they are in the rotation) and I do the lunges on squat day, but to me getting them done is more important than when…good luck hope it works for you…

also I do glute bridges and BW squats in every warm up. Middle age men are notorious for having flat ass syndrome ( and I have an office job…lots of sitting) so I’m trying to avoid that curse

before I forget, google Bret Contreras he has tonnnnnns of stuff on glute work

Thanks, and I have read some of his articles. I need to fix a better set up to do these in my “gym”, or outside, or something. When i was younger my glutes were my only asset. Pun intended. Lol

Progress pics lmprove results. FYI

Bawhahahaaa! You so funny! The key word was YOUNGER. That was long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away…lmao

1 Like

Since I can’t fill the bill anymore, here’s one my buddies like. oops! Did I mention they might be just a little on the trashy side?

1 Like

Trashy??? You weren’t here for the SAMA days :wink:

1 Like

Did someone actually request assplay?!?!?!?!?!

All kidding aside, hip-thrusts (a.k.a. air humps) are fantastic.

1 Like

Uh…no, well at least not in the last decade. But, hope springs etetnal, tomorrow might be my day!
Thanks K, I will throw those in the mix.

1 Like

Actually, so is skating.

CL, maybe you can get some roller blades and throw in some multi-purpose cardio sessions.

Hmmm…I used to have some of those, don’t know whatever happened to them. Will see what I can do. The high school has a nice parking lot, and since school is out, it might work. THANKS.

Good luck today. We will be sending good thoughts that way.

Walking around with ankle weights has helped my hips and posture.

Then I put the ankle weights on my wrists and did some air delt raises and air overhead presses and it made my shoulders and upper back feel great.

Sled dragging has been great for my posterior. Each step is kind of like a lunge, where the hips drive forward. Also, its like cardio, but you can feel it making you stronger.

When you do your pre-workout jumps, jump sideways for a few of them. Push off the side of one foot, just like you would skating, to propel yourself sideways. Don’t feel bad if you’re jumping in slow motion at first.

Sit on a milk crate and wrap one of your resistance bands around your knees. Force them apart, like hip abduction, or a “bad girl.”

Drape one of your resistance bands over your lifting belt, then step through the ends of the band. Then walk around, back and forth, side to side. The band will try to fold you up, and your “core” has to brace to keep you upright. Then do 12-15 “air deadlifts.”

1 Like

Thank you FF. I will pick up ankle weights on my next trip to Walmart. I am planning on working on the sled this weekend. Don’t have a belt yet, but I got what you are saying. Thank you for your help.

Nothing like wood ashes to perk up the taste of pizza…lol

Now, if he could just learn how to make pizza crust, that would be great!

1 Like

It’s not that hard! I’ll find you some links on it.

I found some old junk Velcro ankle weights at the thrift store for a couple bucks. I was skeptical at first, but they are just heavy enough to force me to stand really upright, and walk correctly. I read an old article by a big time Olympic lifter from the past, and he mentioned walking through knee deep water after workouts to maintain his conditioning and hips. I figured it was kind of the same thing.

If you don’t have the belt, you can step through the ends of the band, then hold the “middle” in front of you with your hands while you walk around. It’s called a “band monster walk.” The idea is to get used to pushing your feet “out.”

The “sled” doesn’t have to be fancy. You can use a log and a piece of rope around your hips if you’re not worried about the grass. Or drag a couple plates around. Finnish Lumber jacks, who were good deadlifters, from dragging logs out of the woods, inspired the sled dragging workout in the first place. The main idea is to make your hips, especially your glutes and also legs work, without loading your back. Long, deliberate steps, almost like a lunge.

This is just stuff that doesn’t kill you, that targets your specific lagging areas, without taking away from your real workouts.

About how heavy were the ankle weights? I may have to make some, because I have trouble finding ones that are small enough. My wrists are pretty small, 5 1/4 inches in circumference, so I will have to experiment with it. I got some lifting straps and wrists wraps for Christmas and the straps are useless.

I have a 2.5 pound and a 5 pound pair.

The 2.5’s are royal blue, sand filled, and look like they came with a VHS exercise video in 1987. They are big enough that they flop all around my wrists, but I’m just doing easy cuff-stuff, so its not problem.

The 5 pounders look like Walmart junk. They are perfect for me for walking around.

Every once in awhile, I’ll put both pairs on, but that’s a little more than I need.

If you want to get crafty, sand in an old sock, or in an old bicycle tube could work. Gravel in the cut-off leg of some old long johns?

Haha… I have some stuff that resembles that!

7/3/16
119 lbs. The word pissy does not adequately describe my mood. :rage: