OLAD, Squat Alternative Due to Patellar Tendinitis?

I currently do the one lift a day program with the following lifts

Overhead press

Pulldowns or chins

Bench press

Row

Trap Bar Deadlift (high handles)

Squat

However, I have patella tendinitis and it feels like a sharp cut down my patella when warming up on the squat even if I tightly wrap my knees up, I’ve been advised by a medical professional to stop squatting and a sports physician suggested leg extensions instead for rehab

The question is, what can I replace squat with on a one lift a day program as Leg extensions would be inferior in my eyes, should I replace with a curl or something else that is a best bang for my buck? I’m not sure.

I’m looking for suggestions, I’m working out at home so equipment is slim too

Thankyou

How about giving your leg a break until it heals? I mean, even if you don’t do squats or any quads focused work for a few weeks it will not hurt with your long term progress, especially considering that your trap bar deadlift does involve the quads a bit.

There are strength athletes who stop training completely for 1-2 months a year, missing out on one lift for a few weeks will not kill you.

Learn to make decisions based on an objective analysis of the facts, not on emotions or fear of missing out

5 Likes

Thankyou very much for the reply, you are right, in the grand scheme of things I’ll be fine without them

1 Like

Not to detract from CTs answer but how about Prowler pushing?

1 Like

I had a little tendonitis once I just stopped all quad work, just did some deadlifts, leg curls (and maybe lunges?) for a couple weeks and it never came back.

As @believer423 said you could qlso try sled/prowler work. Especially dragging. It was always great for my knees. Afger the surgeries it was my main quad work. Had no sled though, I would drag a big tire across the parking lot with chains

1 Like