OLAD Set Up

Hi,

I’m thinking about trying a cycle of OLAD. My primary goal is to increase strength and power for wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu but I would also like to gain some weight (lean mass).

This is what I’ve come up with so far. Basically each workout has one main lift, following the OLAD loading parameters, and one supplementary lift which will be performed with 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. A strength lift and then a bodybuilding oriented lift, I guess.

Here is what I came up with:

Day 1
Bench Press
Chins

Day 2
Squat
Romanian Deadlift

Day 3
Bent Over Row
Dips

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Overhead Press
Pull-up

Day 6
Deadlift
Weighted Decline Situp

Day 7
Rest

I’m open to any suggestions or comments on how suitable this routine would be to meet my goals. I know OLAD is a strength focused program but has anyone had any success using OLAD to gain mass?

Which part of ONE LIFT A DAY is confusing? ONE does not mean two.

Just having a go at you … but seriously, the OLAD progression is a killer that is subtle. I wouldn’t mess with the system by adding another exercise in there …

“supplementary lift which will be performed with 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps”

Now if you are going to do this anyway, then lets say you are doing 10 reps for 4 sets, then make sure you are using a weight that you could do say 12 reps with - ie do not go to failure in this supplementary exercise.

The idea is focus on the one lift per day.

I guess that you are getting edgey about the system thinking that one lift a day is not enough to get results. This is not the case. You need to focus on the one lift and really get your monies worth. You will be in a constant state of increasing overload and after 3 weeks you’ll be nutted. And you need the 4th week off but also, I’d recommend doing SOMETHING during that week, even if it is doing 100 reps with the weight (which obviously is light).

I like OLAD it is good.

I don’t see overhead squats in there.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Hi,

I’m thinking about trying a cycle of OLAD. My primary goal is to increase strength and power for wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu but I would also like to gain some weight (lean mass).

This is what I’ve come up with so far. Basically each workout has one main lift, following the OLAD loading parameters, and one supplementary lift which will be performed with 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. A strength lift and then a bodybuilding oriented lift, I guess.

Here is what I came up with:

Day 1
Bench Press
Chins

Day 2
Squat
Romanian Deadlift

Day 3
Bent Over Row
Dips

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Overhead Press
Pull-up

Day 6
Deadlift
Weighted Decline Situp

Day 7
Rest

I’m open to any suggestions or comments on how suitable this routine would be to meet my goals. I know OLAD is a strength focused program but has anyone had any success using OLAD to gain mass?[/quote]

Another thing you can do is the 5x5 or EDT

Why did you choose OLAD? It is good, but why, out of all the other approaches, did you choose this one?

Did you look at the Hammer Down article for MMA
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1034530

or this one for general approach
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1031781

Or the many others on here?

Thanks for your replies folks.

I chose OLAD because:

1. It’s simple.
  2. It’s different (I haven’t trained 5 days a week since my “bodybuilding” days).

I am currently training powerlifting style, working up to heavy triples on bench and rows, up to heavy doubles on squats, and up to heavy singles on deadlifts. But I am also doing some lighter work with higher volume, such as weighted chins, dips, lunges, etc.

I am not really “edgey” about only one lift a day, but I just feel that I can handle the extra sets without affecting the performance of the main lift.

I have read many of the articles on this site, and probably over 90% of the articles by Poliquin, Staley, Cosgrove, Thibadeau, Tate, John, and Waterbury.

In the past I have tried body part splits, 5x5 training, Waterbury hypertrophy programs, basic powerlifting programs, Cosgrove’s “Holiday Program” (during wrestling season), full-body training using 5x5, et al. I am used to training hard and heavy with decent but not excessive levels of volume.

My main goal is still strength and power. Aesthetics are not terribly important to me, but I’d like to gain about 15 lb of lean mass overall.