160x rack, no squat up along with a hand slip
160x rack, no squat up

Sn Pulls 43
90x3
110x3
120x3
130x3
130x3

Pulls feeling fast and has the extra snap after watching the Chinese do it in the training hall!

Hypers x 15 x3sets
Palove press x 12 x3
[/quote]

Can you take vids of your pulls? Or better yet, a vid of how you used to do pulls and a clip of how youre trying to do pulls?

I will say, lifting with Hysen has redefined the word ‘speed.’ For me, Ive learned a lot about how to pull and how to jerk from him.

Snatch from blocks above the knee today. made 70 for a double (previous best double was 62.5)

I thought it was you doing the weights with pete today koing!
Can you clarify what you mean by the chinese doing the change in direction on the pulls? Looks to me (in your example video) like he pulls it up in a way that wouldn’t work too well on an actual clean. Saying this I do notice a difference in the chinese cleans compared to russians etc

[quote]GqArtguy wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:
05/08/2012

FS 170 felt heavy…
Cn
160x rack, no squat up along with a hand slip
160x rack, no squat up

Sn Pulls 43
90x3
110x3
120x3
130x3
130x3

Pulls feeling fast and has the extra snap after watching the Chinese do it in the training hall!

Hypers x 15 x3sets
Palove press x 12 x3
[/quote]

Can you take vids of your pulls? Or better yet, a vid of how you used to do pulls and a clip of how youre trying to do pulls?

I will say, lifting with Hysen has redefined the word ‘speed.’ For me, Ive learned a lot about how to pull and how to jerk from him.
[/quote]

I’ll get a vid on Wed or so.

How I use to do pulls? It was very conventional, about 105% or 110% and all hips, big shrug at the top, minimal arm bend. I haven’t done pulls in about 2-2.5yrs to be honest.

I definitely prefer the way I’m doing pulls at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how this crosses over to my lifting when I do over head stuff in 3 weeks time.

Koing

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
I thought it was you doing the weights with pete today koing!
Can you clarify what you mean by the chinese doing the change in direction on the pulls? Looks to me (in your example video) like he pulls it up in a way that wouldn’t work too well on an actual clean. Saying this I do notice a difference in the chinese cleans compared to russians etc[/quote]

Yes I was loading the weights today :slight_smile:

Have a go, it makes sense to me now. Yes I thought it was totally f0ckin weird but I’ve done it for about 4 sessions now and it is starting to feel natural now. The change in direction at the top is suppose to get you use to pulling under a heavy weight.

Koing

I’m glad your using pulls koing.

Finally made a double body weight jerk!

Taped this for the check-in thread over in GAL so I figured I’d put it here too since I dunno how many of you venture over there.

Snatched 245 (~111kg) for a triple, and did a little power clean/power clean/paused front squat/jerk/jerk complex with 315 (~143). Was at a crossfit box so all the bumpers were in pounds.

There was a little bit of bounce to the “pause” and the first jerk was a little shakier than I’d like but there it is.

Also, ape, you’re a beast.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Also, ape, you’re a beast.[/quote]

That’s high praise coming from you, man. You’re a lot stronger than I am lol. You should post more videos, btw.

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

That’s high praise coming from you, man. You’re a lot stronger than I am lol. You should post more videos, btw.
[/quote]

Double bodyweight is beast, man. You just lifted two of yourself over your head haha.

Pretty impressive from both of you tbh. What do you compete at Jonty?

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[/quote]

Double bodyweight is beast, man. You just lifted two of yourself over your head haha.[/quote]

Just doing what I can. I’d love to hold 400lbs over my head someday, though I’m not sure that my tiny frame is built to handle that, but we’ll see.

Oly-ali, I believe Jonty competes at 105.

I’m still broken and not fully training (ugh)

I have been working on pistol squats. This is my second set so they’re a bit shaky but I couldn’t do one not that long ago, my third set was bad though:

My physiotherapist thought the strengthening I would get from these should go a long way for my hip issues but I have gotten decent at these that I am not optimistic they are doing the trick. Maybe I’ll add some weight.

I did jerks tonight for the first time in months and I managed 90% of my best jerk so things haven’t gotten too bad. I am really really really hoping I don’t have to give it up altogether.

Ape! Awewsome milestone! Congrats.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I’m still broken and not fully training (ugh)

I have been working on pistol squats. …

I did jerks tonight for the first time in months and I managed 90% of my best jerk so things haven’t gotten too bad. I am really really really hoping I don’t have to give it up altogether.
[/quote]

Very impressive pistol squats!

Likewise, congrats on getting back to the jerks!

My son has a hip injury as well (happened one week out from Youth Nationals) and has not been able to squat, clean, or snatch but has been crushing the rack jerks! He hit a 12.5kg PR run last week! I’d post video if anyone wants to see but it really blurry from a cell phone :slight_smile:
He’s also seeing a PT and DO and is slow to fully recover (his x-rays were negative for a joint issue - it seems to be soft tissue). I can empathize with your struggle.

Stay the course young lady!

Onward and upward…

still hip issues Deb? you’re suffering like me then… (btw I’m out for 12 weeks officially, have to get the bone edema down in my knee/shin).

have you ever had someone do Graston technique on whatever hurts? I had bad hip pain (femoral anterior glide syndrome) and went in for Graston, cleared up immediately after one session, and then it was gone for good after a couple more sessions.

Thanks Debra =)

Those are impressive pistols as well. Good flexibility and good balance. I’d fall straight on my ass if I tried that lol.

NewWorldMan, how old is your son?

[quote]ape288 wrote:

NewWorldMan, how old is your son?[/quote]

He’ll be 15 next month. He hit a growth spurt and in now 6’2"(same as Ian Wilson and still shorter than Arroyo from Ecuador). My guess was the soft tissue hasn’t caught up to the skeleton yet. The PT and DO seemed to agree and the images ruled out any impingement - so he’s being patient and diligent with his therapy (and crushing his jerks in the meantime).

Here’s one week out from Nationals (hurt his hip that day but didn’t notice it 'til that evening).

Here’s his lifts at Nationals (on the bad hip -couldn’t squat snatch)

And here are his jerks from last week (sorry for poor quality)

[quote]ape288 wrote:
Finally made a double body weight jerk!

REally strong mate!

Koing

08/08/2012

FS 175x2 2nd rep felt f0cking heavy; 165 x2

Sn Pulls 43
110x3
120x3
125x3
125x3
125x3
110x3 2nd rep felt really fast!

Decline Sit ups

Koing

BLAST FROM THE PAST

7th August 2004: London U23 and Open Comp: Report.

Weigh in: 9:00 - 10:00: I weighed in at 81.750kg. Up 250g from the last comp about 5 weeks ago. I had a bit of breakfast as I am well under the 85kg limit so I’m not looking to cut.

I felt pretty good today. Well apart from waking up at 5;30 for some reason and found it hard to get back to sleep.

Starters
Snatch: 90kg
C&J: 110kg

Snatch
Warm ups:

20kg x 6r + drop Snatch’s
40kg x 2r (easy)
50kg x 2r (easy)
60kg x 1r (easy)
70kg x 1r (easy)
80kg x 0r (too casual about it and didn’t stay tight)
80kg x 1r (solid, as it should be)
85kg x 1r (easy)

Snatch Comp Lifts
1: 90kg: Pass: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/07%20...atch%2090kg.wmv

Comments: Easy lift. Kept over and made it easy for myself. Nailed it a bunch of times in practice and in comp. Caught the bounce

2: 95kg: Pass: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/07%20...atch%2095kg.wmv

Comments: New PB in comp. Only done once in training before so not really a PB until done in comp. Tried on Monday and failed it but I always perform better on comp days. I just push the extra 10% on comp days that I don’t seem to have sometimes in training days. Still look a bit slow under the bar. Will work on this later.

3: 100kg: Pass: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/07%20...tch%20100kg.wmv

Comments: New PB. Felt easy. Stayed tight and kept my form. All the technique was set down properly. Bit crapy how my feet come off. This never happens but it some how creeping in to my technique? But at least I was solid at the bottom and got it to the right place for once. Failed it twice last comp and 3x the one before so I was dam fvcking happy I nailed it. Didn’t catch the bounce at all. Was quickest out of all the lifts under the bar though so that was good. Made my big 100kg .

3 for 3. Felt totaly shattered after the Snatch’s though. 2 new Snatch PB’s so was PUMPING but just felt drained…

Clean and jerk
Warm ups:
40kg x 2r
50kg x 2r
60kg x 1r

::Went to the toilet::

Now I was rushed to lift more and I was feeling shattered now after the Snatch lifts.

80kg x 1r (felt lathagic)
100kg x 1r (felt laboured in the Jerk)

C&J Comp lifts
1: 110kg: Pass: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/07%20...C&J%20110kg.wmv

Comments: Equal PB C&J. Clean felt easy. Somehow sort of reverse curl it the coach that was taking me at the comp. Kind of felt this way also. Just tired I guess and a bit sloppy. Easy out of the bottom. Jerk was alright. One of my better ones in fact lol.

2: 115kg: Pass: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/07%20...C&J%20115kg.wmv

Comments: New PB C&J. I nailed it. Got it once and only once in training about 3.5 months ago. Just haven’t found form in my Jerks. Last 2 comps didn’t get the chance to Jerk heavy as I was messed from bombing in the Snatch’s to lift well. So was too mentally screwed to Clean well in the other comps. Made it well. Stayed tighter and pulled it to the top.

Jerk as you can see is unbelievably dodgy lol. I sort of take a stroll in the park and had a dodgy time taking the bar under control. But I manage to in the end and get it. Happy I got this.

3: 120kg: Pass: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/07%20...C&J%20120kg.wmv

Comments: New PB C&J. Only tried to C&J this 2x before. Once in training too tired to do it after catching 125kg once and not being able to squat up. Then nearly racking it 2x after. Then tried 120kg and didn’t. Tried once in comp but didn’t do anything with it. Poor attempt that time, but not this time. Stayed tight and ripped it up. Plenty of power. Powered out of the Clean using the bounce well.

Jerk was also dodgy but I somehow manage to latch on to it and make it count.

Feels fo FVCKING GREAAAATTTTTTTTTT. To nail it.

6 for 6 dam it! Have not done this in years. Can’t remember the last time I manage this. I usually go in high or go in moderate then go high .

Comments: Yeah I know all my Jerks are iffy. My single weakest point in fact but changed a few things and they worked as I haven’t Jerked 110Kg in ages. Will be working on this more though.

Thanks all.

Koing