T Nation

OL Coaches in England?

Anybody know of any coaches in England?

[quote]deep squat wrote:
anybody know of any coaches in england?[/quote]

It’s a pretty big place…

Why do you want a coach? Just to teach you the lifts or are you looking to compete?

I learned on my own through reading articles posted here and several other sites. www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm <-- has some great videos of the lifts. Also check out youtube (not sure the name of the videos). There is a series of videos that showcase how olympic lifters train.

Where are you located?

[quote]2-champ-0 wrote:
Why do you want a coach? Just to teach you the lifts or are you looking to compete?

I learned on my own through reading articles posted here and several other sites. www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm <-- has some great videos of the lifts. Also check out youtube (not sure the name of the videos). There is a series of videos that showcase how olympic lifters train. [/quote]

This is all well and good, but if he plans on competing one day, he’ll want a coach. You can gain a certain amount of proficiency learning them on your own, but you’ll also pick up mistakes that you will ingrain into your learning.

I vote for spending at least a couple times a month with a coach for a bit before you become more liberal with your own Olympic lifting integration.

I spent year without a coach, and it wasn’t until I actually worked with one over last summer that I realized how invaluable a GOOD coach can be.

That being said, look here www.msbn.tv/usavision/ and see if you can locate a coach in England.

Fair enough, I was simply offering the option that perhaps, if he was not going to compete, then he may find it easier to just read up, watch some videos, and learn on his own. There are some very detailed descriptions of the lifts around here.

If you have absolutely no access to coaches (and of course a coach is the best choice) then I suggest a couple of resources:

1. Get Jim Schmitz “Beginning/Intermediate Olympic Weightlifting” DVD and book set. This will give you a general intro to the lifts and training routines.

2. For more detailed analysis of the Clean and the Snatch go to this site: www.crainsmuscleworld.com/specialtyvideos.html

and get the following two DVDs:

World’s Most Powerful Lift - “The Clean”
NEW World’s Fastest Lift - “The Snatch”

If you order from there, be sure to specify that you want DVDs, not video.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Where are you located?[/quote]

essex.

I want to learn olympic lifts as well and after talking to a coach he suggested that I work on assistance lifts for a while before I even start to learn the olympic lifts. If you can’t do an overhead squat then you can’t do a proper power snatch.

[quote]deep squat wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Where are you located?

essex.[/quote]

Drop Stuart Braxton a line - he’s in charge down there as far as I know: scoobystu854@hotmail.com

Mike Causer is in London and is an outstanding lifter (London 2012 hopeful). Great guy who knows his stuff; I could put you in touch if you want to email me: ec@ericcressy.com.

[quote]deep squat wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Where are you located?

essex.[/quote]

too bad, there was a group in Manchester (Moss side leisure centre).

My advice is to contact BWLA, the governing body for OL in England (they also govern IPF sanctioned PL).

Essex, hey?

This bloke could probably offer a few tips:

www.beyourbest-davidmorgan.com

Five time commonwealth champion, so I believe. He worked out at a rugby club I played at and his lift log was on the wall. Savage numbers he used to put up.