OKC Thunder: It's Official

This was the worst kept secret in sports: OKC’s NBA team is officially Thunder.

But to be honest, I’m pretty disappointed in the logo. Not very creative, it could have been a lot better. But I’m happy OKC has a team and look forward to supporting them!

That’s a horrible logo. They’re doomed!

Nah, I’m glad to see OKC get a team. They really came out and supported the Hornets well when they played there. Hopefully now that they have a team of their own, they will continue to show up.

Still sad that the Sonics aren’t in the league.

A question, when new teams are introduced into a professional sports league, how do they fill their roster? Do they draft from the semi-pro and free agents, and do they get first picks during the college draft?

Ugh, I don’t like the logo or the name. I thought it was bad enough when they named the Warriors mascot ‘Thunder’, but now there’s a whole team named that.

I went to Elk Grove High School for a year and their team was called The Thundering Herd. I’ve never been a fan of ‘Thunder’ named teams. Seems corny. Oh well…

Good for OKC if the fans support the team like they did with the Hornets. I’ll miss the Sonics though. I feel bad for the fans up in Seattle. I have a few friends that are from there that are pretty pissed about this still.

Oof. Thunder sounds like the name of a Slamball team.

What was a “Supersonic” anyway? A plane? A sonic boom? (sort of fits in with “Thunder”, I guess.

Push - MN’s pro soccer team is the Thunder, but I’m not even sure who they play.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Ugh, I don’t like the logo or the name. I thought it was bad enough when they named the Warriors mascot ‘Thunder’, but now there’s a whole team named that.

I went to Elk Grove High School for a year and their team was called The Thundering Herd. I’ve never been a fan of ‘Thunder’ named teams. Seems corny. Oh well…

Good for OKC if the fans support the team like they did with the Hornets. I’ll miss the Sonics though. I feel bad for the fans up in Seattle. I have a few friends that are from there that are pretty pissed about this still.[/quote]

SOUNDS LIKE A WNBA TEAM!

P.S. do you still live in the Elk Grove area? I’m going to college somewhat close by.

[quote]Mutu wrote:

P.S. do you still live in the Elk Grove area? I’m going to college somewhat close by.

[/quote]

Not anymore. I haven’t lived there for over 15 years. However, I did drive through there on my way back from Reno last week. I hardly recognize the place now.

Which college are you going to there? Sac State or are you talking about one of the city colleges? I went to Consumnes for a while.

Sierra College aka High School 2.

Actually planning to transfer to either Sac State or UC Davis for Kinesio.

OKC Thunder sucks.

I moved back to OKC a few weeks ago, and some of the names being thrown out were Thunder, Barons, Marshalls, Outlaws, Wind, Bison, and Energy. Outlaws and Marshalls would have been the best, but I’m glad it wasn’t Wind or Energy. I don’t think the team would have heard the end of it.

sounds like…alright where the fuck is Oklahoma?

Sorry, but the name and logo just reminds me of some WNBA team. The Thunder is destined for supreme mediocrity.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
That’s a horrible logo. They’re doomed!

Nah, I’m glad to see OKC get a team. They really came out and supported the Hornets well when they played there. Hopefully now that they have a team of their own, they will continue to show up.

Still sad that the Sonics aren’t in the league.[/quote]

They’ll get the uniforms and logo situation figured out within a few years. Remember in the mid 90’s when about half of the NBA had kiddie cartoon logos? Basketball is HUGE in the pacific northwest. Seattle will have another team within 5 years, mark it down.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
A question, when new teams are introduced into a professional sports league, how do they fill their roster? Do they draft from the semi-pro and free agents, and do they get first picks during the college draft?[/quote]

This was an existing team that moved to another city, like the the Hornets when they left Charlotte for New Orleans. But, to answer your question when an expansion team comes in they hold an expansion draft where current teams leave players unprotected to be picked up and they have draft picks determined by there place in the lottery.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
A question, when new teams are introduced into a professional sports league, how do they fill their roster? Do they draft from the semi-pro and free agents, and do they get first picks during the college draft?

This was an existing team that moved to another city, like the the Hornets when they left Charlotte for New Orleans. But, to answer your question when an expansion team comes in they hold an expansion draft where current teams leave players unprotected to be picked up and they have draft picks determined by there place in the lottery.[/quote]

Alright, thanks.