OK, Let's Lift! And 1 and 2 and 1 and 2

No problem man. Always good to have more strongman on the forums.

Long steps are a pretty common error in moving events. It’s a logical thing: you’d think fewer steps would mean faster movement, but it ends up meaning slower time over all. You’ve got the right idea; shorter, choppy quick steps. The right footwear is supposed to be good too, but I’ve got flat size 12 feet on a 5’9 frame, so I just clomp and stomp wherever I go with whatever I wear, haha.

I figure I should keep this updated even though I’m really just resting right now.

I decided to start my rest before the comp a bit early. Haven’t lifted since last Wednesday or Tuesday. I did some axle pressing with the comp weight. My left wrist hasn’t healed as much as I would have liked, so I’m giving it 100% rest until the weekend. My elbows aren’t as bad, but I’m dealing with pain there too, particularly my right elbow. Should be fine, just would like to be as healthy as possible. Those are the only injuries/pains I’m currently dealing with.

I’m waking up between 201 and 204 lbs right now, so I’m just fine for weigh ins on Friday. I’ll eat light and fast for a few hours prior to weighing in. That should be sufficient.

I may do some squats tonight just to do something.

In case I forget to say this in time: I wish you the best of luck for your competition!

1 Like

Thanks Koestrizer!!! I sincerely appreciate the support!!!

So I decided to bench instead of squat last night. Just because. Some elbow pain, no wrist pain while benching. And the elbow warmed up fast. I planned to not go heavy, but I ended up pressing 375 for a single. So that was fun. The only other thing I did last night was pull ups. Time to rest now :slight_smile:

Show was this weekend. I didn’t place. Think I came in 4th, although placing wasn’t announced after 3rd so I’m not positive.

The day started off great. I got 8 reps on the axle C&P, a 2 rep personal best. Could have done more potentially, but with it being the first event and the problems I’ve been having with my wrist, I had no desire to push the set further.

I won the deadlift with 595, and could have gone higher if I had needed to. 595 flew up, was good for at least 625.

Kegs weren’t great. I was in the bottom half on this.

Farmers walks were the worst. I lost this event, by a large margin. I felt like I was walking in mud. Need a lot of work on this.

Finished strong with 6 reps on the stones. 11 reps won the event, so I was in the ballpark. Very happy with this event.

Overall, I did everything I wanted to do. I wanted to finish strong in the deadlift, and I won it. I wanted to avoid dropping the kegs and farmers handles, and I was successful with both. And I wanted to get at least 1 rep with the stone.

On to the next.

Hey Flip, good effort for doing the comp, its a pity you didn’t get a podium finish but I’m sure you’ll work your ass off to get one the next time(if there is a next time). Do you have any videos of the events?

Was excited to hear how this went. Good stuff on the deadlift win dude, and getting in what you needed to on those presses. Sounds like you know what you need to work on if you keep going forward with strongman.

1 Like

Congratulations on your great performance! Sounds like this competition was much better than your last one!

Was it a traditional barbell DL or something like tractor tires?

Have you ever DL’d 600?

Thanks Koestrizer. It was MUCH better than my last one.

ActivitiesGuy: It was a traditional deadlift barbell (I think it was a Texas Deadlift Bar), standard plates. So full range of motion. And I didn’t hitch or use straps, just did the lift as I would in a PL meet, as that’s all I practice.

I DL’d 600 recently in training, but only once.

squatted last night. Worked up to a pretty easy 495. So that felt good. Dropped to 315 for a few sets of 5 after that, then left. Not a real productive evening, just wanted to play with some heavy weights and get back in the gym.

worked up to a 365 single on bench on Saturday. nothing else of note in that workout.

On Sunday got back to strongman training. Trying to make overhead work and loaded carries a priority. Did farmers walks, prowler pushes (the one thing I’m good at), frame carries, and keg carries (not the worst for me). So the 2 events out of those that I’m terrible at are the farmers and the frame carries. I believe the placement of the weight vs my posture may be strongly related to my poor performances on these. Basically if the weight is in front of me, I can move (prowler and keg). When it’s in line with my spine, I’m stuck in the mud. Just some thoughts.

Looks like I missed logging my last 3 workouts. I benched, squatted, and benched again.

The first bench workout included a set of 6 at 315, then dropped the weight to 225 for reps.
The second bench workout included a single at 385, then reps at 275 (sets of 5), and then a couple more sets at 225.

Squat workout I worked up to a set of 2 at 455, after I think 3 reps at 405 and a couple at 425. Then 315 for 4 sets of 8. I didn’t have a spotter, otherwise I could have pushed my top set harder.

Satisfied with where I am right now across the board. Just trying to maintain strength for a couple months before pushing hard again.

Not much to report, I’ve lifted a few times since my last post. Missed a 615 deadlift at the knees a little over a week ago.

Last night I squatted a set of 5 at 445, and had at least 1 rep in the tank. Felt great. Dropped to 315 for 6x6, then rowed on the rowing machine for 4 minutes.

Holy shit, I haven’t logged in awhile.

So my training over the last couple weeks has been fairly sporadic, but a few things were noteworthy.

Last week I squatted 335x20. I’m planning on doing 345x20 tonight. Shouldn’t be a problem, the 335x20 wasn’t close to failure.

I had strongman session Sunday that went well. Finally felt like my wrist was good enough to clean/press, even with an axle. Worked up to 215x3. Felt great. Missed 235 clean. Thought about doing it continental-style, but I didn’t see a reason to push my luck with my wrist. Did farmers as well, which are improving tremendously. And did a 240 stone a few times over a 4 ft bar. Really fun session.

I also have gone on 2 1-mile runs in the last week. Probably doing another tonight.

Do you have a long term goal of hitting 405 for 20 or something like that or are you just a fan of being miserable?

That’s pretty much exactly it, lol.

I want to build up my conditioning/work capacity, particularly for strongman. I also got tired of lifting super heavy weights, and this gives me a break from that for a couple months without sacrificing size or strength. I KNOW this will make me stronger, without having to touch anything more than my 20 rep max weight.

But yea, 405x20 is ultimately what I would like to approach at the end of this cycle. That’s basically 7 more sessions away. I believe that I’m probably capable of 405x12ish now, so that kind of improvement isn’t outlandish.

^Quote from about 5 years ago…

flip, I have to say, I thought of you this morning at the gym while I was deadlifting…one of the things I’ve always found enjoyable about your “log” is that the front page is from so much earlier in your development, like seeing the post about testing your deadlift and hitting 405 all the way back in 2011. I think many of the newbies here would do well to read your log, see where you were at the very beginning, see where you are now (not that you were any weakling when this log started, but you’ve added hundreds of pounds to both your squat and deadlift) and see how long it took to get there. It’s a lesson that real, lasting strength is built with consistent work over time.

Now, if only you were as dedicated at actually logging here as you are at training…(look how many times you’ve said something along the lines of “looks like I haven’t logged in awhile” or “I need to be more consistent logging”)

1 Like

hahahahahhahhaahahaha that’s wonderful. Thanks for the reminder. Hard to believe that was so recent.

And I’ve gotten better at logging in general over the past 2 years I think. I know I go through spurts where I suck though. Right now is one of them. Personal life has been rocky, and that kind of carries over to everything else. But you’re right, logging regularly is always worthwhile.

I’ve only gotten to the gym once this week. Worked up to 345x2 bench. Nothing spectacular but good enough for now. I really want my elbows to get better asap. So I’m not pushing my bench training too hard. Just trying to keep gains.

1 Like

AAAAAAAAND I missed a few sessions of logging.

Last week I squatted 355x20. Almost died. Overhead pressed last week as well. A few sets at 185.

Monday I benched. 315 x4, plus 1 assisted. not great.

Yesterday I squatted. Took a break from the 20 rep thing and went heavy. 515 for a single, followed by triples at 405.