T Nation

OK, Here is the New Routine

Did some tweaking, here goes:

Sorry if the routine looks messy,not good at organizing

Trying to lower body fat, was heavy into BBing for about 5 years and then took three years off. I am back at her for about 7 weeks. My 5 rep maxes as I recollect were as follows prior to my hiatus:

6’4" 220 (then)

115LBX5 dumbells BP
365X5 Squat
Deads are shaky, don’t remember

7-weeks in I look like this

6’4" 238

90LBX5 BP

I have developed a bad back over the last year or so, so I am stuck on the Leg Press/Sumo’s back extentions (Stinks)

My diet is close to as follows

Early AM~ Egg-White Omelet with Broccoli and Cottage Cheese

10AM or so~ Almonds

Lunch~ I buy Chx breast by the ton and cook it with Broccoli/Pineapple/Onions and will make some funky dish with the chx

2PM (pre workout) Protein Bar

Shake after workout

6PM dinner- Some fish/vegtable combo or steak/veggie combo

maaaaaybe some almonds or cottage cheese prior to bed

Currently My workout is close to as follows (note: I go to the gym M,T,W,Th,Sat)

Monday: DB bench, incline BB (both 4-6 reps with failure on the heavy set) Dips, Skull Crushers, Cable flies, tricep ext.X 2

Tues: Leg Press 4X8 and Sumo’s 3X12, Back Ext, Leg Ext/Curl and Calf work…I then do 4MPH on the treadmill on a 10.0 Incline for 25 minutes cardio

Wed: A light clean and jerk with the BB, usually 4X6-8. DB shoulder press 4X6-8. Dumbbell shoulder work/Shrugs

Thurs: Assisted Wide grip Pull-ups (for now); DB row 4X8; Lat pulldown, cable row, back flies, back ext.

Sat: Hack Squat/Light lunges, calf work, abs and big cardio day

For now I may also throw in a little chest work on Thursday to keep my chest at the same pace as elsewhere.

Diet/routine comments?

[quote]dopp16 wrote:
Trying to lower body fat, was heavy into BBing for about 5 years and then took three years off.[/quote]
When you were “heavy into BBing”, I’m guessing you were seeing results, yes? What type of training did you do then? What worked for you before should work now.

“Bad back” means what, a bulging disc, herniated disc, stiff from inflexibility? And it was caused by what? Accident, specific injury, tripped over the chihuahua while getting the morning paper? Have you ever done specific rehab to address it?

The leg press isn’t helping… at all. I’d rather see you focus on single-leg work until you’re closer to 100% functional. Use some of the principles from Cressey’s recent article.

[quote]My diet is close to as follows

10AM or so~ Almonds

Lunch~ I buy Chx breast by the ton and cook it with Broccoli/Pineapple/Onions and will make some funky dish with the chx

Shake after workout

maaaaaybe some almonds or cottage cheese prior to bed[/quote]
That sounds like it might be low calorie for someone who’s almost 240. Egg whites? Learn to love the yolk, my friend. Even on a fat loss diet, healthy fats are necessary. And I’d ditch the pre-workout protein bar if it’s sooner than an hour before the workout itself. That can lead to delayed fat loss.

Does the “x2” mean 2 sets of each exercise?

Like I said earlier, I’d ditch the leg press in place of back pain-free unilateral work like reverse lunges, step-ups, single-leg dumbbell deads, etc. I’d also do the back extension for time (hold your body parallel to the ground) instead of reps. That’s a better option for moody backs.

Your back is alright doing shrugs and clean and jerks? No pain?

I’d swap out one of the pulls for another row variation (chest-supported? standing 1-arm cable?), and again, I prefer back extensions for time. What’s the set/rep scheme for the rest of the back work, or is everything 4x8?

Not sure how “necessary” the hack squats would be, but doing the smaller stuff on a primary cardio day wouldn’t be a big deal.

Even if your chest is lagging, hitting it twice a week is more likely to exacerbate your back issues by making the pushing volume that much more than the pulling volume. I’d rather you look to make your one chest day more productive, rather than hitting it again.

First of all, thanks for the feedback, see below

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
dopp16 wrote:
Trying to lower body fat, was heavy into BBing for about 5 years and then took three years off.
When you were “heavy into BBing”, I’m guessing you were seeing results, yes? What type of training did you do then? What worked for you before should work now. [quote]

I played college football, so my training was more what I had known for athletic performance. I did not have much rhyme or reason, but a lot of activity. I also surfed 3-4 times a week which made weight gain virtually impossible. I think that although I had good results, but not optimum. My diet wasn’t great either which is why I am trying to concrete a plan of action here

[quote] I have developed a bad back over the last year or so, so I am stuck on the Leg Press/Sumo’s back extentions (Stinks)
“Bad back” means what, a bulging disc, herniated disc, stiff from inflexibility? And it was caused by what? Accident, specific injury, tripped over the chihuahua while getting the morning paper? Have you ever done specific rehab to address it?[quote]

I have a slipped disk in my L-5 which is pinching a nerve, more of a nagging pain but lingering, probably the result of being a desk jockey or driving all week for work. I am seeing a chiropractor but am thinking of going to a physical therapist…thoughts?

[quote] The leg press isn’t helping… at all. I’d rather see you focus on single-leg work until you’re closer to 100% functional. Use some of the principles from Cressey’s recent article. [quote]

Yes, I have thought about that and will heed the advice. I am still trying to find a way to work the legs in a way that will not aggravate my back and the single leg work has crossed my mind

[quote] http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/solutions_to_lifting_problems

My diet is close to as follows

10AM or so~ Almonds

Shake after workout

maaaaaybe some almonds or cottage cheese prior to bed
That sounds like it might be low calorie for someone who’s almost 240. Egg whites? Learn to love the yolk, my friend. Even on a fat loss diet, healthy fats are necessary. And I’d ditch the pre-workout protein bar if it’s sooner than an hour before the workout itself. That can lead to delayed fat loss.[quote]

This is primarily why I am posting, I think that my diet is probably the biggest issue right now…I have an aversion to fat in my diet when training hard and it is something I have to overcome, besides fat is there anything else lacking in the diet?

[quote]
Monday: DB bench, incline BB (both 4-6 reps with failure on the heavy set) Dips, Skull Crushers, Cable flies, tricep ext.X 2
Does the “x2” mean 2 sets of each exercise?[quote]

I’ll do 3 sets of two different variation of tricep extentions

Thanks a lot for the feedback

[quote]dopp16 wrote:
I have a slipped disk in my L-5 which is pinching a nerve, more of a nagging pain but lingering, probably the result of being a desk jockey or driving all week for work. I am seeing a chiropractor but am thinking of going to a physical therapist…thoughts?[/quote]
A good chiropractor’s manipulations might help the symptoms, but if possible, I’d get to a physical therapist to figure out the best way to rehab you back to 100%. Maybe throw a question to Cressey, Robertson, or Gentilcore in any of their Locker Room threads for their opinion.

One article that might help get across how important some fats can be:

Not really. Just make sure you’re getting enough protein to recover from your workouts, and keep an eye on those almonds. Nuts are sneaky and easy to accidentally overdue the calories, especially if you’re having them during the day while sitting at a desk doing busy-work.

Maybe consider reducing the mid-morning nuts and adding a protein shake. And for the pre-bed meal, try to lean more towards the cottage cheese or another protein shake, rather than the nuts.

I’d just like to say, you can totally do it! I have a friend who was overweight… she would never tell me exactly how much she weighed because she was embarrassed, but it was over 200 pounds. At that time, I weighed around 155, but over the next 8 months, I lost 20 pounds.As she saw me losing weight, just by not eating as much junk food and exercising twice a week, she realized that she could also lose weight. She started to make an effort and also began to lose weight.

[quote]Rockstarbabu wrote:
I’d just like to say, you can totally do it! I have a friend who was overweight… she would never tell me exactly how much she weighed because she was embarrassed, but it was over 200 pounds. At that time, I weighed around 155, but over the next 8 months, I lost 20 pounds.As she saw me losing weight, just by not eating as much junk food and exercising twice a week, she realized that she could also lose weight. She started to make an effort and also began to lose weight.
[/quote]

Did I read this right? You were 155 and then lost 20lbs, which would drop you to 135?

I hope you’re a woman… Otherwise your one emaciated male…

:slight_smile: