T Nation

OK Fish Oil?

Cholesterol Free
Omega-3/Omega-6
Fish Oil
1200MG (1.2g)
Promotes Heart Health
Dietary Supplement

Cholesterol Free Omega-3 Fish Oil constains (EPA) and (DHA), two fatty acids that help support and maintain the health of your cardiovascular system. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are considered “good” fats imprtant for cellular, heart and metabolic health. Omega-3 fatty acids also help maintain triclyceride levels already within a normal range.

Capsule contains

EPA 216MG (.2g)
DHA 144MG (.1g)

Other ingredients: Gelatin, Glycerin

Also contains soy and fish (herring, anchovy, mackerel, sardine, sprat, salmon)

Is this the kind of fish oil that isn’t dangerous? I read some types contain the liver of a fish and are dangerous. The oil off the body is supposed to be better. Also, certain types of fish eat toxic shit so it can be spreaded to us. I don’t think the type of fish that were listed are toxic shit eaters.

[quote]liftforstars wrote:
Cholesterol Free
Omega-3/Omega-6
Fish Oil
1200MG (1.2g)
Promotes Heart Health
Dietary Supplement

Cholesterol Free Omega-3 Fish Oil constains (EPA) and (DHA), two fatty acids that help support and maintain the health of your cardiovascular system. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are considered “good” fats imprtant for cellular, heart and metabolic health. Omega-3 fatty acids also help maintain triclyceride levels already within a normal range.

Capsule contains

EPA 216MG (.2g)
DHA 144MG (.1g)

Other ingredients: Gelatin, Glycerin

Also contains soy and fish (herring, anchovy, mackerel, sardine, sprat, salmon)

Is this the kind of fish oil that isn’t dangerous? I read some types contain the liver of a fish and are dangerous. The oil off the body is supposed to be better. Also, certain types of fish eat toxic shit so it can be spreaded to us. I don’t think the type of fish that were listed are toxic shit eaters.

[/quote]

I think that’s just the standard fish body oil there. The toxic shit you’re talking about is probably mercury. I don’t think “mercury” will be listed in the ingredients, so you’re going to have to trust the brand name.

I know everyone here is going to suggest Flameout. I’ve never used it, but I’d say if you’re worried about getting quality, filtered EFAs, get it from Biotest…

The fish don’t deliberately eat ‘toxic shit’ as op put it. Its habitation in polluted areas that is the issue where the levels of mercury and cadmium are high.

I had a friend who worked for one of the largest fish oil processors in Hull, England. Basically he told me many of the Cod Liver Oil supplements are problematic. Many use sources oil which are too old or handled carelessly, the very complex fatty acids can change into peroxidized fatty acids.

Any decent manufacturer will conduct routine independent laboratory analysis of source to be sure that there is no mercury, cadmium, lead, other HM’s or PTBP’s (potentially harmful bi-products).

The Kirkland brand from Costco is very good and very cheap.

Forget the kirkland fish oils. Split a capsule open and smell the contents. If it smells fishy, and it will, its rancid. Quality fish oil is very expensive since processing that avoids the rancidiy is not easy.

There are very few quality fish oil brand, maybe Sears is one. It is best to consume fresh fish and quality flaxseed oil (not in capsules).

[quote]Rich Hand wrote:
Forget the kirkland fish oils. Split a capsule open and smell the contents. If it smells fishy, and it will, its rancid. Quality fish oil is very expensive since processing that avoids the rancidiy is not easy.

There are very few quality fish oil brand, maybe Sears is one. It is best to consume fresh fish and quality flaxseed oil (not in capsules).[/quote]

Maybe you got a bad batch. My Kirkland oil has never smelled fishy. No moreso than Flameout. Taking times the amount of pills is a pain in the ass, however.

[quote]Rich Hand wrote:
Forget the kirkland fish oils. Split a capsule open and smell the contents. If it smells fishy, and it will, its rancid. Quality fish oil is very expensive since processing that avoids the rancidiy is not easy.

There are very few quality fish oil brand, maybe Sears is one. It is best to consume fresh fish and quality flaxseed oil (not in capsules).[/quote]

It is not possible to consume enough fish to get the maximum anti-inflammatory benefits. Supplementation is necessary.

I’m a huge buff on DHA/EPA supplementation and have read numerous books and scientific journal articles on this very subject.

I use Trader Joe’s (Trader Darwin’s) brand of Molecurarly Distilled Omega-3 fatty acids for myself. The price is reasonable (about $8 per 90 1200mG softgells). I use Nordic Naturals Children’s DHA for my 2 and 4 year olds.

The off-smells of these suplements can be a combination of rancidity as well as other fishy by-prodcuts. Molecular distillation removes both. It is important to keep these products in the refridgerator as it will slow down the oxidation of the delicate oils.

There was a comment to this thread about using Flax oil and eating fish instead. This is what the “mainstream health media” seems to suggest as it at first glance appears to be common sense and fits into the dogma of “whole food always superior to supplements”. However, almost nobody doing this is doing it right because doing it right is so complicated and expensive that it is easier and cheaper just to buy distilled EPA/DHA pills. I will mention some potential pitfalls of doing this:

  1. Getting LNA intake doesn’t mean you’ll make enough DHA/EPA (sorry vegitarians, but nature is cruel):
    Keep in mind that most people can not convert LNA, which is what Flax oil has in it, into EPA and DHA very efficiently. This is a confusing point that even trips up nutritionists because EPA and DHA are not “strictly” essential, meaning that some will be converted in all humans.

There are some interesting research projects underway trying to figure out which population subgroups are more or less able to convert LNA to DHA/EPA. Some of the early work has revealed that people that can trace their ancestry back to nordic countries or Japan (both relied heavily on fish), have a much lower rate of LNA to DHA/EPA conversion.

As a side note for vegitarians (not that there are many who body build), there are very expensive DHA/EPA supplements that are available that come from Algae. They’ve recently added these kinds to baby formula in most US markets.

  1. Real whole fish that you can buy on the market may not have a lot of EPA/DHA in it and can also contain high enough amounts of Mercury to cause real health problems. There was an entire village in Japan that was poisoned this way. They also can have other chemicals in them that are possibly unhealthy but the cause-effect relationship is less clear at the typical exposure levels (PCBs, dioxins).

Actual DHA/EPA content depends not only on the species of fish, of course, but also the time of year, water temperature, and the fishes’ diet. In fact farm raised salmon are substantially inferior to wild salmon in both EPA/DHA content and presnece of contaminents. The seas are overfished and “wild” fish are getting more and more expensive. Fish that has a lot of Omega-3s spoil very rapidly. If you live in-land from the sea, chances are your food distribution chain is “weeding” out the high-Omega 3 catches for you because they’re going to go rancid in transit.

Consuming actual cod liver oil can also be a problem as it contains such large amounds of Vitamin A, D, and E that you can actually overdose on these if you take a 5 to 7 pills a day, which some people do.

The last 2 posts contradict Udo Erasmus greatly and this guy isnt an amateur.

For now tho, KIRKLAND AND OTHER CHEAP BRANDS SMELL FISHY AND ARE BOLLOCKS!

Why isn’t fish oil supposed to smell fishy?

I now use flavored oil because I can’t stand the taste of the regular one, but the regular always smelled fishy to me. Same with caps.

People get “fish burps” from taking the caps. If the oil inside the caps didn’t smell, this wouldn’t happen. Are you suggesting that nearly all caps are rancid?

[quote]Rich Hand wrote:
The last 2 posts contradict Udo Erasmus greatly and this guy isnt an amateur.[/quote]

Udo definitely isn’t an amateur – he’s a professional marketer.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Rich Hand wrote:
The last 2 posts contradict Udo Erasmus greatly and this guy isnt an amateur.

Udo definitely isn’t an amateur – he’s a professional marketer.[/quote]

Yes, he markets quality oils.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Why isn’t fish oil supposed to smell fishy?

I now use flavored oil because I can’t stand the taste of the regular one, but the regular always smelled fishy to me. Same with caps.

People get “fish burps” from taking the caps. If the oil inside the caps didn’t smell, this wouldn’t happen. Are you suggesting that nearly all caps are rancid? [/quote]

The typical fishy smell is that of rancid oil. Fresh fish smells of little, ask a chef. I would think capsules probably contain cheap rancid oil as in cheap bottled fish oil.