Oils and Fats In Diet

Okay so I’m waiting for my Flameout to come in, but in preparation for my upcoming training cycle to begin along with the dieting, I was just wondering what everyone else uses as far as supplementing fatty acids, fats from eating whole foods, and cooking with certain oils are concerned?

I’m looking for some suggestions to incorporate into my diet.

Ways I incorporate Healthy Fats into my diet:
-Tablespoon of olive oil.
-Almonds.
-Walnuts.
-Natural Peanut Butter.
-Egg yolks.

Cook foods with coconut oil as it does not break down at all. Do not sue any otehr oils as they breakdown, and turn rancid.

Use extra virgin olive oil on foods after cooking. ie. dribble some olive oil on your cooked veggies.

All fat is healthy fat with the exception of hydrogented oils. The key is proportion. 1/3 polyunsaturated, 1/3 monounsaturated and 1/3 saturated.

Short and medium chain saturated fats are currently considrered to be more desireable by modern nutritionists.

[quote]JKThreeEleven17 wrote:
Ways I incorporate Healthy Fats into my diet:
-Tablespoon of olive oil.
-Almonds.
-Walnuts.
-Natural Peanut Butter.
-Egg yolks.[/quote]

I don’t think peanut oil is that great, being primarily an omega-6 (which is inflammatory) but it’s not terrible in moderation and when balanced with omega-3s. That’s where walnuts are great, as well as ground flax.

Olive oil and almonds (and I’d also add avocados to the list) are great sources of monounsaturated fat. Make sure the olive oil is first cold pressed extra virgin, in a dark bottle, and preferably organic.

Egg yolks are great if they’re organic or from freerange, flax-fed hens, but factory farmed egg yolks aren’t a great source of omega-3s.

Also, mackeral, wild salmon and sardines are great for omega-3s. Or a good quality fish oil taken with vitamin E.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
All fat is healthy fat with the exception of hydrogented oils. The key is proportion. 1/3 polyunsaturated, 1/3 monounsaturated and 1/3 saturated.

Short and medium chan saturated fats are currently considrered to be more desireable by modern nutritionists.[/quote]

good post! and good sources of short and medium chain fatty acids include coconut oil and sheep’s milk/cheese/yogurt. there’s probably more - google time.

make sure to eat 1/2 - 1/4 of a avocado, and .25 of a walnut. Need some carbs? try .618 of a pineapple.

Unsalted Sunflower seeds= Good Fat+Good Protein.